Does Lyrica help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I go to the dr. tomorrow and will talk about Lyrica. I am hoping it will help with my pain and stiffness. I am also gonna ask for a stronger pain med. than motrin or tylenol. I hope he gives me something. Maybe a stronger dose of motrin or tylenol. What are some good pain meds.? I know it seems that no one wants to give out strong pain meds. anymore. I am in so much pain. The stiffness is so bad I can't even roll over in bed. I hope to get some help tomorrow. I have been putting off going to the dr. because of my weight. I hate getting on the scales. Last time I was there they recommended a nutritionist. Couldn't afford to go but I need to. The extra weight can't be helping my fibro. many have been helped by using Lyrica, what side effects have you had if any. Thanks
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I agree with Jam, weight and swelling. That was all it did for me. Good riddance. However, it could be different for you. I know some really had good reports about it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.
  3. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I've no idea at all how Pfizer, the maker of Lyrica, convinced the FDA that a med for epilepsy could possibly help with ME/CFS/FMS.

But I'm sure that Pfizers' stockholders are very happy.

I hope no one in a stockholders' family gets ME/CFS/FMS and has a dr who pushes Lyrica onto them, and the patient gets diabetes, which can happen.
    Of course, if that happened the makers of insulin and the stockholders in THAT company could then be happy, too, because of adding one more diabetes patient to the ever-growing list.

In case anyone is thinking about writing in to ask me, yes I have tried the Lyrica because my dr told me it would help me sleep.
    He knows that's the phrase to use on me with any new drug, since I'm always telling him how exhausted I am but that what little sleep I get is not restorative.

By the way he was wrong about the "It'll help you sleep, Lea." When I came back in a month as ordered and told him so, he did nothing but roll his eyes and tell me how frustrating I am as a patient for him to deal with.

I'm just glad that FDA finally stepped up & told the truth about Lyrica. Unless the videos have been removed from YouTube, drug reps tell about how they were pushed to gift drs with Lyrica samples and other inducements to prescribe the Lyrica for people who don't have epilepsy ... for whom Lyrica was first formulated as I've said already.

Whether your dr approves or not, please do the research you need to do. It's possible he hasn't done any but just relied on the drug reps who said that someone somewhere said they thought maybe Lyrica helped a little with some pain or other they had.

4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i use lyrica intermittently for pain and for sleep, For sleep on its own isnt anything great but when taken with an antihistamine i get a really good quality sleep. I find it helps with leg pain i get when sleeping/trying to sleep to and works for that unspecific type pain that makes you feel lowsy. But using it intermittently helps avoid side effects and reduce tolerence.

good luck

ps, another good pain med is slow release tramal which i have found effective.[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2009]
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I take Lyrica daily for my pain. It has been a wonderfully effective drug for me. Lyrica has to be taken every day on time to be effective, you can't stop and start if you want to have the full benefit. It takes several weeks to get used to the side effects. I can stand a little weight gain in return for much needed pain relief anytime! I would not trade my Lyrica for anything!

I would give it a try!

6. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Well I got my medicine last night and took my first pill. So far so good. I am told to take 3 a day. I have had 3 already and feel pretty good. Still have pain but it is better. I am feeling much better with my mood. The pain was killing me. Right now I would say my pain is around a 4 before it was a 7. Better.

I take another medication called lamictal that is also an anti-convulsant. It is very helpful for my bipolar.

Sorry so many had a negative exsperince with it. I am relieved that atleast one enjoys it.
  7. soulight

soulight New Member

Sorry to add another negative , but it made me swell up and I got very blurry eyes.

You know , maybe you will be one of the ones that it works for ! I have heard some people who feel that it is a life saver, so maybe it will work for you. It never hurts to try . Just make sure you watch your symptoms.

8. natalie22

natalie22 New Member

Hi Sheila,
    I have heard good things about Lyrica but I had extreme dizziness on a very small dose so I would watch out for that. It might be worth a try though... I wasn't even aware of the weight gain thing- which didn't happen to me, probably because I was on it such a short time. Good luck!
  9. andreake

andreake New Member

I thought it helped some, but then I got symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis!
    I have had better luck with Abilify for my fibromyalgia!
  10. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've tried Lyrica twice and just started it for the third time. The first time I took it for a month before I had to stop. It caused me to have double vision. The second time I was on it for a week. Then my heart rate went sky high. But I had also gotten a bad cold at the same time I started it.

I saw my rheumy Wednesday and we agreed to try it one more time. I've taken two pills. All my pain is gone (same thing happened the previous two times), but I'm feeling agitated and don't get much sleep. I'm going to try it for a week, then decide if I want to continue. Because it eliminates my pain, I really want it to work, but I hate feeling drugged and dizzy.
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have been on it for 2 yrs. and I am not certain just how much it helps. Of course, the script says 3 a day! i take one! That is because of costs. I am on a good plan but with the various other I take, I will go onto the gap in Aug. Last yr. it was July. At the cost, I just cannot afford the 3 a day!

My pain is not horrible - I also have OA. But if i do tooo much, I am in pain. I am not young - my hands have OA but I also have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, etc. that causes pain. Believe it or not, I do sleep well and do not have pain until about 5:30 a.m. so I just get up and go slowly into my day.

Good Luck in what you and your Drs. decide.

12. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I've been on Lyrica quite a while now - 600 mg a day, which from what I understand, is a very high dose.

Anyway, the side effects I have noticed are WEIGHT GAIN and LEG SWELLING. The weight gain was uncontrollable. I gained weight and I gained it fast - like I blinked and was 20 pounds heavier.

The benefits - decreased pain. I still have pain, but it takes the edge off. I also take NORCO.

Unfortunately, however, with all the meds I am on - I still have pain.
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It has been great for me and a big help! I have been on it for more than 3 years. I had a few side effects at the beginning but they went away as my body got used to the medication. I have NOT gained even 1 pound due to Lyrica the entire time I have been on it. I also have friends that are on it and it has been excellent for them too.

I know that there are people that it just doesn't work for but that is the same with all meds, you will just have to try it out and see what it does for you. But if it does help it is definitely worth waiting out the side effects.

As for pain I use Oxycontin 40mg twice a day with Vicodin 7.5 for breakthrough pain. Since you are just going up from Motrin or Tylenol you probably don't need something quite as strong but you may want to try Darvocet or a low dose of Vicodin. They are both good drugs.

My doctor has no problems with prescribing me pain meds because she knows me well and knows that I am very responsible with them and take them only as prescribed. So a lot of it depends on the relationship that you have with your doctor. Hopefully your doc isn't one of the ones that are afraid to prescribe stronger pain meds.