Does Medicaid Cover Testing?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by jasminetee, Nov 6, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Hi All,

I have a friend who might have chronic Lyme Disease and she wanted to know if HMO/Medicaid would cover the testing and if so, what kind of testing she should get. If it doesn't cover the testing are there any other options for her? I hope so.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2009]
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I don't think that Igenex accepts medicaid. They accept medicare.

She would need test #188 and #189, a Western blot IgG and IgM from Igenex.

I think the cost is $200 unless it went up. www.igenex.com

She could check MDL lab or Fry Lab (not sure where they are located.....get more info at lymenet.org's Medical Questions board)

Igenex tests for 10 IgG and 10 IgM bands. Other labs only test for 3 IgM bands.....very poor.

It is very important to remember that a negative test DOES NOT RULE OUT lyme. It really is a way of looking for clues to the diagnosis.

I can't stress that enough.

That is a mistake that most Dr's make....plus they usually want to order an ELISA/lyme titer and western blot from Quest or labCorp which is a waste of time.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis based on history and symptoms.

I would urge her to go to lymenet.org...........click on flash discussion..........sign up for free......click on the Medical Questions board.....create a post asking whatever questions she wants.

Also have her go to the Seeking a Doctor board on lymenet.org and create a post asking for a Lyme literate MD (LLMD) in her state.

3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thank you very much Nanie. That information is much appreciated.

tee