Does menopause accelerate this DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tazziesmom, Aug 14, 2005.

1. tazziesmom

tazziesmom New Member

I have had fibro for almost 15 years now. I just turned 50 and am starting to go through menopause. I don't know if it's the fibro or just normal menopause, but everything seems worse, the pain, the depression, the 'mind fog'. I don't know if I should just hang in there, or try to get help. My doctor doesn't seem very supportive. The wonderful doctor that diagnosed me and helped me in the early part of my fibro has retired from practice. I just don't feel like ME anymore, and I hate it. So, what do you think, does menopause affect fibro?
  2. lilbird

lilbird New Member

that my hormones play a part. I have not yet figured out what the part is exactly. I do know this. I am 45 and primonpause. When I first started to have pain and fatigue it was only during the last 7-10 days of my cycle. My PMS got worse and worse with every passing year. Untill the point I had almost decited to have a historectomy. It was bad, I though about not wanting to live, I thought about hating my family. I thought allot of bad stuff.

A lot of people with FM/CFS have hormone imbalance of some kind. I think it is possible for some of us that our stress or illness has sent out hormones out of control, and if we get those back to normal levels in balance we may just find that allot of our problems are gone.

I have been on hormone replacement therapy for a couple of months and am starting to feel better.

So the big question. Is fibro worse because of memopause or is menopause worse because of fibro?????????? I really don't know, but a good question.

Cathy
  3. Chelsi

Chelsi New Member

I definitely feel that the menopause is making my fibro worse. I've had a look through several web sites and they usually state the age of getting fibro up to age 60. My hope is that once the menopause is over I'll start to feel better from everything.
  4. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I've gone into menopause twice, once from chemotherapy and then finally from removal from my ovaries.

I've had CFS for a long time, about 20 plus years. I have had some of the things that accompany fibro, like interstitial cystitis, some pain, but nothing like what I"ve had since being menopausal. The first time I was doing radiation for cancer treatment. I had a lot of pain everywhere. After about 8 months after treatment, I got my periods back, only to go into surgical menopause. currently, I have a moderate amount of pain, but also CFS symptoms as well. Diane
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, I do believe that our hormones play a role in our illnesses. All our systems, including hormones, are out of whack (a medical term :) During perimenopause, I finally gave in and started taking HRT. It did help me to sleep as I was no longer waking up with night sweats. I never did have hot flashes. I'm menopausal now and I still take a very low dose of estrogen and the usual dose of progesterone.

I believe the longitudanal study was too flawed to be of use in deciding the risks of HRT. They used only nurses, so it was not random. Not one is exposed to more stress and pathogens than nurses. The results are skewed.

Second, it is my belief that we start out with varying abilities to fight off assaults to our immune systems. I had a number of them but managed to recover until I was in perimenopause. It was then I got the mycoplasma infection from which I never fully recovered. An accident about six years ago was the finishing touch. I had finally had too many events for my body to be able to recover.

For many of us, it is around middle age that our bodies have had enough assaults on our immune systems so that we cannot recover. There are others whose immune systems cannot cope with even one big assault and those people get CFIDS/ME at an early age. If treated early on, some of them are able to finally recover.

I think medicine has not, and still does not, understood that infections like EBV should be taken more seriously and treatment begun at the time of infection. Mycoplasma infections can be wiped out but it takes six months to do it if treatment begins right away. Most docs do not know that they need to prescribe Doxycycline for six months and many are reluctant to do so. If treatment is delayed, it can take years on the Doxy to rid the body of the mycoplasmas. In my case, it took 2 1/2 years.

Finally, we are exposed to more and more pollution now than ever. This may explain why younger people are getting sick. The human body is amazing but it isn't designed to handle all the toxins in our soil, air, and water.

We suspect my grandmother had FMS. She wasn't exposed to all the pollutants that we are today but she had seven children. My Mother also had FMS as do both of my daughters and I have CFIDS and FMS. I believe there is a genetic predisposition. Scottish research has identified genes which seem to be continually upregulated in people with CFIDS.

The human body is so complex and our various systems do not work alone. Everything affects everything else. I suspect when hormone changes take place, it does affect our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  6. jrose

jrose New Member

I believe hormonal changes at menopause definitely affect the disease.My whole mess started at around 50. Hot flashes,torn cartilege and surgery in both knees at 52,pain all over then diagnosis of FM. I quit work at 52;am 57 now and slightly better. Acupuncture helps but is too expensive,massage helps. The best for me is tramadol.Since menopause I developed GERD,osteoporosis,FM,hypertension.Everything but the FM runs in my family. I was on hormonal therapy but it didn't help with bone loss apparently. Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2005]
  7. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

My FMS symptoms AND the symptoms of the Autoimmune Vasculitis BOTH started during perimenopause. That lasted about 3 years and it took that long for both to be diagnosed.
    Maybe the hormones kept them at bay? I didn't have hat flashes or night sweats or overwhelming depression [just the normal everyday depression!] so I didn't feel like I needed HRT.
    Well, if nothing else, at least I don't have periods any more! [I'm 53 and the last one was 3 years ago this November.]

Char