Does Milk Really Look Good On You? Don't Drink It

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wolverine, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Hi all. I just posted this in my other thread about the failsafe diet. But just reposting it again for those who didnt / dont see that thread.

Ive personally been extremely intollerant to milk alot of my life. I think it can do more damage than good, especially for us with bodies that are far from 'robust and resilient'

Here is an exerpt from an article on dr Mercolas website:
    (See the full article at: http://www.mercola.com/2000/feb/27/no_milk.htm)

-------------------------------------------------------
    Does Milk Really Look Good On You? Don't Drink It!

Several well-footnoted books and countless articles on the subject show that processed cow's milk is not healthy for humans and, to the contrary, has been linked to a wide range of physiological complications. The list of problems that have been associated with the consumption of milk and dairy products includes iron deficiency anemia, allergies, diarrhea, heart disease, colic, cramps, gastrointestinal bleeding, sinusitis, skin rashes, acne, arthritis, diabetes, ear infections, osteoporosis, asthma, autoimmune diseases and possibly even lung cancer, multiple sclerosis and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Milk and dairy products are acid-forming and mucus-producing substances that provide the ideal bodily environment for many children and adults to experience increased frequency of colds and flues.

The milk of mammals is species-specific and cow's milk is a species-specific food for calves. Dr. Frank Oski explains in his book Don't Drink Your Milk!, ├ČThe milk of each species appears to have been specifically designed to protect the young of that species.....Heating, sterilization, or modification of the milk in any way destroys the protection.

There is a tremendous difference between human babies and baby calves and a corresponding difference between the milk intended to nourish human babies and baby calves. It takes about 180 days for a human infant to double its birth weight, and human milk is five to seven percent protein. It takes only 45 days for a calf to double its birth weight and cow's milk is 15 percent protein. This protein in cow's milk is of a different composition than that of human milk and is poorly assimilated in the human body. The primary type of protein in cow's milk is casein. According to Dr. John R. Christopher, N.D., M.H., there is up to 20 times more casein in cow's milk than human milk which makes the nutrients in cow's milk difficult (if not impossible) for humans to assimilate.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
  2. monamea

monamea New Member

Hi Wolverine,

I read your message with interest and now I want to answer. My son is 17 years old and from the age of 1 has been drinking cows milk, he is 5 feet 11 inches tall weighs 145lbs and is strong as an ox. His Grandfather lived to be 93 years of age and his Father is 62 and still going strong on the farm. They all have been raised on cows milk, I'm not sure what you consider "human" milk is it breast milk or milk from the store, if it the second one it still comes from a cow except that it is pasterized, which means that all of the good nutrients are taken out and than added again, why is beyond me. We are inspected all of the time so that our milk is pure and free from any drugs. Like anything else moderation is the key. I really get upset everytime a doctor comes up with stuff like that, our ancesters lived long and healthy lives on milk, meat, and vegs. grown on the farm. I believe people get sick on all of the additives that are added after they leave the farm. Of course thats what I think, everyone can think as they will. Look at the Amish people they work hard, eat their own food, grow their own vegs, and live as a peaceful people, and they live a long time, what does that say to you?
  3. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Its mostly pasturized milk that is harmful. If you read that full article on dr mercolas website, i think it mentions that natural unprocessed milk is much better than pasturized etc.

Im not an expert but definitely trust alot of what dr Mercola says.

Also, yes many people can tolerate milk, but a majority cant.
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Pure Raw Milk? Pure ignorance and stupidity, and it could kill your kids

Milk is Milk Blog by Alex Avery This week Virginia lawmakers responsibly enacted legislation to protect public health AND protect dairy producers by requiring that milk and other dairy products be pasteurized. Sounds simple enough. Pasteurization ensures that children, the largest consumers of dairy products, are protected against potentially deadly bacteria and viruses that can find their way into unpasteurized dairy products. But pure food nuts are up in arms over this sensible public health policy. Other states, like Colorado, are actually moving forward with the agenda of these food fanatics to allow unpasteurized milk - also called "raw milk" - to be sold. Here in the United States we've been restricting the sale of raw milk products since the 1940s. Dr. John Sheehan, Director of the FDA's Division of Dairy and Egg Safety says drinking raw milk is "like playing Russian roulette with your health." In 1986 a judge went so far as to order the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to ban the interstate shipment of raw milk. Why? Because people, especially children or others with weak immune systems, can die from consuming dairy products tainted with bacteria commonly found in raw, unpasteurized dairy products: Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella (over 1600 types) and Listeria monocytogenes. People, this stuff isn't for kids or anyone else, unless you enjoy muscle pain followed by diarrhea (sometimes bloody), acute kidney failure, high fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, meningitis, spontaneous abortion (in pregnant women) or death. Those are just some of the symptoms associated with the types of food poisoning that can be caused by drinking raw milk. An article co-authored by Senator Rudy Boschwitz points out that the U.S. Public Health Service says four of these bacteria (Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella typhimurium, Listeria monocytogenes and E. coli O157:H7) are the most serious foodborne pathogens in America. Five kids in Vancouver, Canada, were poisoned by drinking raw milk from a cooperative farm; two suffered permanent liver damage. In the 1990s, Massachusetts even reported two incidents of potential mass raw-milk exposures to rabies! Two different cows in different herds were diagnosed with rabies, and 80 people who drank their raw milk had to take the painful series of rabies shots. In Wisconsin, some 70 people got sick from drinking illegal raw milk tainted with campylobacter bacteria. And still, the pure food nuts are pressuring legislators to end decades-long protections so they can sell and promote raw milk. Some poorly informed lawmakers are even listening! In Colorado, dangerous legislation is currently moving forward to allow more public access to raw milk. This is being promoted by a Washington, DC-based activist group called the Weston A. Price Foundation and other extreme organic agriculture purists. This group bases its reputation on the teachings of Weston A. Price, a dentist working in Cleveland in the 1930s who claimed that raw milk is healthier. Bunk! Extensive nutritional and medical research discredits these claims. Further, in 1989 the California Superior Court ruled against Alta Dena dairy, who was selling and promoting raw milk as healthier, and found that: (a) "overwhelming evidence proved that Alta-Dena's raw (unpasteurized) milk frequently contains dangerous bacteria that can cause serious illness"; and (b) the company must stop its false advertising. So why are activist groups like Weston A. Price and the Organic Consumers Association promoting raw milk and spreading false claims? The Weston A. Price Foundation is lead today by Nancy Fallon, a frequent speaker at organic conferences and other holistic health and alternative agriculture events.

Raw milk is a dangerous thing to be drinking. Basically, you are playing russian roulette with your health. Listeria monocytogenes specifically comes to mind when I think of unpasturized milk. We had a patient who was very sick with this back about 15 years ago, and it was specifically from drinking raw milk on a farm. Don't let these raw milk people fool you! There is nothing healthy about drinking unpasturized milk, and there is a lot to lose by being exposed to all kinds of harmful bacteria and viruses!

Take care, Sally