Does Neurontin help with sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tiger69, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Tiger69

Tiger69 New Member

I am just starting on Neurontin 300 mg 3x day. I know that it helps with nerve pain as that is what I'm taking it for. I have Fibromyalgia and was wondering if Neurontin helps with sleep. I am currently taking Ambien CR for sleep and it helps, but my insurance will only cover 14 pills/month. I need something for the other 16 or 17 days a month.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been on the same dose that you are on for a couple years. It does help my fibro pain and neuropathy pain. I don't know if it helps with my sleep or not, because I take 6 mg of Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer, before bedtime to help me sleep. I also take 30 mg of Cymbalta at bedtime which makes me sleepy (I take the other 30 mg in the AM--it really helps on the fibro pain, too!)

My docs start patients out with Elavil at night to help sleep -- and it's generic is OK and it's really cheap! It's only a couple dollars for a month's worth!

If your doc doesn't want to prescribe anything else, just take over-the-counter Benedryl at bedtime. In Dr. Gott's newspaper medical column, he recommends it and says it is perfectly safe for a long term remedy.
  3. joanng

joanng New Member

I take Neurontin only when my restless legs kick in. It doesn't make any sense to anyone because I only take it when my legs aggravate me and lately that's not a lot. Anyway, most of the time my legs get crazy at night and when I take the Neurontin, it certainly helps me sleep. Sorry I wasn't more direct but I wanted to be clear that I don't take it all the time. Good luck!

p.s. I also take Zanaflex and that really helps with sleep and it doesn't leave you with a hangover feeling.
  4. ladiebugz56

ladiebugz56 New Member

hi tigar64 im also taking ambien 10 mig i cut in half my insurance only pays for the 14 days and im also on the neurontin your doctor can fill out a clame form i believe so you can take the ambien everyday ladiebugz56
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

a better sleep.What I do with ambien is....I take trazadone and use ambien if I'm short on sleep or have extra pain to overcome in the evening.Linda

[ advertisement ]