Does peanutbutter make anyone sleepy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 22, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I ate my lunch and am so sleepy! I don't think it is the bread, because I have that at other times and don't get this way. Anyone else get sleepy from peanut butter?? And any idea why, if you do?

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

It drives my sugar sky high. Even the type that is natural with just peanuts, will do that. I don't know why because it is mostly fat and calories.

I don't know what else would cause this. You don't have diabetes do you? Have you been tested lately fo this or is it just peanut butter? Some people can be allergic to peanuts but perhaps you have some type of intolerance to them.

That's the only thing I can think of.

3. elsa

elsa New Member

Doesn't make me sleepy , but can promote other, less socially acceptable responses. Has been the family joke for years .... " You did what ?! You fed Elsa peanut butter?!? Have you lost your mind ?!? Good lord... open the windows..." LOL

Hope I gave you a chuckle at my PB disorder expense!

P.S. You might try the all natural peanut butter. The organic kind does not have the added sugar that might cause a crash. Peace..... E.
  4. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I don't have that problem (where you need to open the windows) but when I was on a Southwest flight, before the flight attendant started passing out the peanuts, she made an announcement and said "I'll be giving you peanuts but just remember...............they give you gas!! I almost died laughing. Those Southwest attendants can be very funny when you least expect it. So, now I'm afraid to eat anything with peanuts in it. :)
  5. lilione

lilione New Member

Peanut butter is my life source. I eat it 5-6 times a week. I have no problem with it. My neurologist had told me that it is normal,(due to our cycle rhythm), that afternoons are generally a time for the average person to get a little sleepy and the other being night. God willing for all of us with insomnia. Try to eat it another time of day and see what happens.
    I couldn't imagine my life without PB. Hugs, Lili
  6. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I believe that peanut butter is a good source of tryptophan--the stuff in turkey that makes people tired. I think someone recently posted about this, but I can't remember who or the title of the post (of course!). So, sounds like a normal response to me.

I wish PB made me tired because I usually ahve an apple and PB not long before bed . . . maybe I need more? HOw much do you put on your sandwich? I love PB--I use Smuckers Natural

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2005]
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

for you thoughts. I eat it at other times with no problem. No gas either, thank God!!!

Nicole, I just spread some on the bread and don't measure, but I would have to say maybe 1 - 2 tablespoons. I eat 1/2 around 11 usually and the other at 12. I try to space out what I eat so I don't eat too much and try to walk around my office, but I still am not losing any weight...

8. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I wasn't judging you--I just wanted to know how much you use to see if it made me tired if I ate the same amount. I'm looking for a sleep aid. :) I must admit, I think I eat more than that . . .

9. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I know that protein makes me very sleepy - and my doc told me to add more to my lunch and afternoon snack! Sometimes I feel like I'm falling asleep at my desk.
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've had ones that made me sleepy. Tryptophan rich turkey makes me sleepy, and chicken (because of food sensitivity), but pb does not. If your symptoms are hit and miss, that's typical of a food sensitivity as opposed to a classic allergy, allergy always produces symptoms.

If you want to know if it's a food reaction, take your resting pulse before you eat some. Then eat a substantial enough amount taken alone. Then take your resting pulse at 10-15 minute intervals a few times. Your pulse will jack right up if you are reacting.

Another thing to consider, you may not have noticed the association before. I can get very sleepy from a meal I'm not really sensitive to at all, but only if I was too hungry when I finally ate. It's a blood sugar thing and I'll be dog tired for awhile. If I space my meals properly, then my foods are energizing like they should be.

11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have intermittent sugar problems. I have thought it might be reactive hypogylcemia (hope that is spelled right) at other times.

There is no trigger that I can tell. Sometimes for no apparent reason, my sugar will drop and I will have to get something sweet and follow with something more substantial (the advice of my friend the EMT). She also said that sometimes what you eat the night before might contribute.

I can't figure out what triggers it. The first time it happened it scared me to death. First my knees get weak, first the left, then the right like when you hike up a lot of steps or something, like they are not going to hold you up much longer!

Then I start to shake (and shake and shake and shake - hey, I could make a milkshake!) until I eat something that gets the sugar back up. I usually get something as soon as I feel the knees kick in because I know what is coming, but once I was putting up a shelf in my daughter's room, so I was really exerting myself (holding it up and it was quite heavy and nailing, etc) and did not stop as soon as I felt it and it was very bad.

I was so weak the rest of the day and felt awful even after I got the sugar back up.

Anyway, I think it is a hit and miss like someone said and more likely me just getting FM tired or sleepy from eating, but usually that is when I eat more than this.

Oh, and Nicole, I did not think you were judging me at all! I think it is just a coincidence that I am getting sleepy, but with this dd you just never know what is going to happen next!

12. sna

sna Member

I get really sleepy when I eat peanut butter. This wasn't always the case but in the last 2 years it has been. It has been after eating more than I should, 4 tbl. or more which I know isn't healthy because of the extra fat and calories but everytime I have caved and eaten that I am so tired I have often taken a nap. I don't keep it in the house as a rule now because of that and am trying to loose weight. It has happened so often I am sure it is the peanut butter.
    I am not diabetic so that isn't the problem. Wish I could tell you why I get so sleepy but am unaware of the chemical reaction to it.