Does pool therarpy help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Momskelleygirl, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

My doctor wants to have me in physical therapy, and pool therapy. Have any of yu tried these, does any one know if they help at all, especially the pool therapy?

Kelly
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Kelly, My doctor sent me to physical therapy as well last year. Once I was there, my therapist thought that aquatic therapy (pool therapy) would help. Althought it feels great to be in a very warm water pool, my pain was only alleviated WHILE I was in the water. Sadly, the pain returned after only one hour after I got out of the pool. My insurance would pay for only 20 sessions, in which I had a co-pay of $15.00 every time I went. I didn't finish out the sessions because they really didn't make any difference. I enjoyed it, just like I think anyone would enjoy it, it feels like a sauna, but lasting relief didn't come of it. Try it out if your insurance will pay for most of it and who knows, maybe you will be luckier than I was. Never hurts to try different things with these conditons. Take care, Hugs, Chelz.
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I would say that it is good for you , but not a "cure". I own a hot tub and a pool. I work on gentle stretches and mild aerobic exercise and although it is good feeling..I find very little pain relief other than the short term. I think if you enjoy water, and can afford to go, you should try it.You may find it beneficial.
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

The pool is factored into my schedule and NOT an option. Yes it helps. Fondly, June
  5. nktigger99

nktigger99 New Member

Hi Kelly,

I had to reply to this. I did pool therapy for about 3 weeks. Today in fact was my last day for about a month since the pool that the PT department uses will be closed for a month. I liked it a lot. It is nice to get all weight off your body for a little bit. Also I do some cardio work which is nice since it is no impact. Also can do weight exercises and it seems easier for me then doing them just in the gym.

Now normally my insurance will only pay for a max of 12 sessions and sometimes 24 sessions. My dr is going to try to work it were I can go all the time about twice a week for as long as I feel I need it. Since I feel that I am getting something out of it and normal PT does nothing for me.

We will see how that works out...just depends on how many Active Duty people need to be in the classes.

Hope this helps you,
    Nichole
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I went through a myalgia clinic in Green Bay, WI for 6 weeks. One of the components was pool therapy. The water was kept at about 90-91 degrees. I think that if I had something like that closer where I could go from pool to dressing room without getting chilled it would really benefit me. The pools close to me aren't that warm, and getting chilled makes me worse. The Arthritis Foundation has a video on water exercises. I'm sure there's other information out there too. Good luck. God Bless!
  7. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I found it very helpful. The water in the Arthritis pool when I had PT was 90 degrees. Felt so good. They gave me excercises to do based on the evaluation and what we wanted to accomplish. I would say it was a tremendous help. Give it a try
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

she said it helped her, but it has to be a warm pool, not just "standard" pool temperature.
  9. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

I had to take a medical leave from work because my pain was so bad. My doctor sent me for physical therapy, part of which was pool therapy. After 8 weeks, I had lost weight, and was virtually pain free. The first few times were hell though, but I stuck with it. 7 months later I am back in a major flare due to stress. I have a membership to the same place I did the therapy (it's a combination medical/exercise facility) so I think when I get back from Colorado I will be back in the pool instead of on the weight machines!

Donna
  10. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Hi Kelly,
    I have done pool therapy and it does help.It feels good to be in the water and doing gentle exercise.Doesn't mean the pain will go away,but it can help to move your body.In water there is less stress for you.Watch what they do for phycical therapy-if something does not feel right don't let them do it! A hot tub is great after you go in a pool.At the spa where I go I sure look forward to the hot tub! Good luck. Lana56

[ advertisement ]