Does ProBiotics cause gas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jul 28, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Or can it cause lactose intolerance? Last night after milk with dinner and ice cream, I had more gas than usual, and right now I have some. I had some milk earlier, but that has been a couple of hours or more, so it seems like it would have happened sooner if it was lactose intolerance.

I have never had a problem with milk before, so I was wondering if the probiotics could be causing this.

2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm surprised that you haven't received more responses to this post. Evidently others are not experiencing this side effect from the probiotics. I have not personally had the gas problem.

What has happened is that ever since my colonoscopy, I have had more gas. It took a good month for my bowels to return to normal and regular.

Hoping someone else will see this who can answer for you.

Love, Mikie
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I thought it would generate more response too. It seems that there is bound to be a change in the bowels.

I has some really painful gas last night. I know to some gas does not sound like a big deal, but to anyone who has had it bad they know it can feel like a knife. I have had it so bad before I have been doubled over. I could not go to the bathroom either.

I have been trying but might have to resort to Milk of Magnesia. What the hay, tomorrow is Saturday. What else do I have to do but sit on the potty? I might get some serious reading done in peace!!!

5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I will have to think about that sugar thing. I can't lay on my left side because I have a sore spot on that hip that hurts, but I sleep on my right side with one leg up and one straight. That could be why I am better this morning.

Glad to hear that it can't cause lactose intolerance because I LOVE my milk! I have gotten back into drinking it in the last year or so for the calcium.

Thanks again,
  6. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I'm supposed to be on a sugar-free diet... but sometimes I cheat.

I notice a big increase in gas when I do.

But... I also have found a way to make it not as bad... I take an extra probiotic right after cheating and having icecream or other naughty foods. It seems to help (though I still get some gas from it).
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

It seems to be sporadic right now. Could be PMS though. The ice cream is either reduced sugar or sugar free (it is Slim-a-Bear) and it happens after lunch too. Could be the bread, but the peanut butter crackers I eat in the morning don't cause it...

Maybe it is unrelated and I am just suspicious because I just started it two weeks ago.

Thanks to all.
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

keep from becoming a social outcast?

9. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

lovely side effect. I take gasX in the morning and usually make it throuhout the day. Though I sleep on my left side with my right leg up (only comfortable position), I have been told that the ol man feels "air" bubbles sometimes.

10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Yes, pros can bring on gas, if you are all swollen and bound up and feel you like are going to burst from pain and pressure, that can be a good thing. I used to get those attacks so bad, I figured even labour couldn't be as bad. could barely move and couldn't get comfortable at all. Probiotics and a few other tips helped so I don't ever get to that point anymore.

I love Stormyskye's tip to lie on left side, too bad for your bad hip. If you can ever manage to get past past that, laying on left side is an invaluable Ayurvedic tip I learned taht also promotes bile flow so you digest better. It is recommended to try and lie that way before and after a meal. Never lay on right side after eating, it pressures the hardworking liver and bile can't flow backwards too well. Lying on back can bring on indigestion of course, we've all been taught that.

A few ideas why you are getting these problems though. Are your probiotics dairy free?What kind, and when do you take? They cannot cause lactose intolerance, they should actually be helping the body produce enzymes when taken 15-30 mins. before meals.

but, if they are cultured on dairy and many are, and, you have a bit of dairy sensitive that is kind of not acting up enough for you to notice it, then the added dairy culture could aggravate.

I always use non dairy and trying to use dairy cultured does give me a bit of grief. Some people have to find just the right brand for them.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/29/2005</i>]
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am using Jarro-Docilious (sp?) from here and I take 2 an hour before eating in the morning, but it is in the afternoon that I am having trouble.

12. tansy

tansy New Member

to have this happen when either starting probiotics or when changing to different strains. Avoiding sugar and refined carbs will help since they feed the baddies hence a bigger battle going on. Try taking just one for now, you could even take it down to one every other day if necessary, once things start to settle down you can increase your dose.

Thanks for that info. At one time my spine issues meant I had to lie on my right side, then they changed over the years and now I have to lie on the left side. Looks like I quite unintentionally did something right.

Love, Tansy
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Not sure what you mean by gas (gas pains, cramps, passing gas?) When I first started on probiotics, I experienced a lot of stomach cramping, but I wouldn't really call it gas. But I had enough discomfort that they were really hard to use, and I used the same brand you do. I started opening the capsules, using a little at a time only. Gradually I worked up to the dose of 3x a day, but it took a while.

Now, GAS...I get flatulence and it's smelly (sorry, folks, just tellin' it like it is) from foods/products containing gluten or wheat. And I have never tested positive for celiac disease, which is a true gluten allergy, but I MUST have an intolerance or sensitivity of some sort, because if I eat bread or pasta, anything wirh gluten, for a couple of days, I will guarantee passing nasty, foul-smelling gas. Once I stop the gluten, all is well again.

There was a recent news article on AOL site about the greater prevalence of people with a gluten intolerance---greater than once thought, a mtg. of the Natl. Inst. of Health devoted much time to this very topic. Walmart, for one, will start a larger gluten-free section, plus will begin labeling all products with gluten as such. Does seem to be a growing problem....don't know about the milk, though!

But to conclude, I DID have stomach problems starting probiotics, but I persevered by using a small amount of the capsule & gradually worked my way up to the full dose. You can buy empty capsules at Wild Oats or Whole Foods that you can use to divide a full capsule into two or three smaller ones.

Good luck, hope it gets better for you!

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I cannot eat ice-cream at all, it gives me terrible stomach pains and gas. I get lots of gas anyway but ice cream has a very bad affect on me.

I'm on second week of sugar free and finding it SO difficult. I do take two probiotics from this shop daily but cant say if they add to my gas or not, hard to say.

15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

by gas I mean passing gas, sometimes smelly, sometimes not and MAJOR gas pains, those kind that feel like someone sticking a knife in you and twisting.

I went back to one this morning and think I will stay there for awhile.

16. crohnick

crohnick New Member

Yes, but I just thought that I was going crazy with this bloating and gas, along with a almost &quot;purging&quot; of awfulness from the GI tract. ugh. But yea, it really causes a lot of stuff to &quot;go on&quot; in your gut. So be prepared. But at the same time, it feels like it will be beneficial if you stick with it. Thanks and good luck.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I can take probiotic supps but cannot tolerate Activa yogurt or I get the bloating and gas pains. Look for a supp which includes FOS and it should help.&lt;BR&gt;
    Love, Mikie
  18. Marjorie1

Marjorie1 New Member