Does PT really help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frustratedandtired, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

I was scheduled for PT 3 times and cancelled every time due to just being too darn worn out from a stressful month! Long story. Anyway, it's going to be pretty expensive for me and I don't want to waste time and money if it's not going to help that much. I have to drive through downtown traffic to get there, find a place to park, do the pt, go back to work and find a parking place again then walk back to my building. That wears me out just thinking about it! Info please!
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Some people on the board have said it didn't help them. We are all individuals. Guess it is like some meds help some and some hate them.

Personally, I found Physical Therapy helped me. Didn't cure me but helped. I have had it two separate times, and did 12 sessions each time. My insurance limits the number of visits in a calendar year. I have a $20 copay each session.

Be sure and let the therapist know you have fibro. Tell them immediately if it hurts. You might want to ask them before you start if they have worked with fibromyalgia patients before.

I had massage and ultrasound treatments. Learned some stretching and strengthening exercises. Mine did ice or heat depending on which works better for you.

I couldn't turn my head very far to the right at all. After three sessions I had a normal range of motion. It was worth the three sessions for that alone. They have also worked on my lower back and shoulders and upper back.

I can relate to the exhaustion, its a constant problem.
  3. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i just started,pt yesterday, some exercises, then heat and electric impulses, i felt pretty good after, still in pain but this morning i could hardly move. was supposed to go again today,for water therapy in the pool.but felt so bad today cancelled, i will go tomorrow,and give it a chance, two days in water, and one day for heat an exercises, and yes they deal with patience with fm. so i have high hopes, they ask what my pain level before we even start.
  4. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

last week.

I do streching on "land" and am suppose to do the same things at home once a day. After 3 times I had a pretty bad flare up. Did not do the streching exersises at home for 2 days went back to PT on Tues. and did the same streches, theropist told me to quit doing so many and that exersise will sometimes cause a flare up... so take it slow.

I did the pool theropy today and it felt good while in there however I feel real bad now, but not FM.

Nerve pain from Osteo in lower back. I have severe Osteo and FM, and I can tell the difference in the pain.

Advice from me is to check and make sure your ins. pays for PT, it is expensive.

Take it very slow if you have not been doing any streches or exersise in a while.

Tell them if it hurts you at all, and use gentle movement, only as far as comfortable.

Lets hope together that it will help us both.

rrsbaby
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

did not help me; however, I never got any massage, ultrasound treatments, or water therapy with mine, just exercises! They said that my insurance would not pay for those things I mentioned.
  6. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I love ultra sound treatments, feels so good, and the massage on my neck really helped, I can turn my head better now.
  7. jennypee

jennypee New Member

PT didn't help me much, but some of it was really nice. I liked the heat part, and some of the stretches were good. They would give me a 5 minute massage too, which I loved.
  8. ckk

ckk New Member

pt helped while i was doing it but if i dont do it at home then it doesnt really help. i was lucky and had a copay of $15. i no longer go and should really do it at home but ya know how that works! its totally up to the individual.
    good luck on your descision.
    ckk
  9. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

My pain is too great and my muscles too weak that I can not do "land therapy", but I have been going to the pool for a couple months now.
    I was skeptical at first, but it really has helped. I even forced myself to go one time even though my pain was so bad I didn't want to get out of bed. It helped that time too. The heat of the pool and the decrease of weight that helps improve mobility has done wonders.