Does quitting sugar really help you......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Apr 9, 2011.

1. I feel lousy and wonder I have heard sugar addiction makes you feel lousy. Has anyone quit sugar and felt any better or is that just another old wives tale? I know I am addicted to sugar because if I eat some I want more and more!
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Yes, yes, yes!

It really helps.

My pain and stiffness goes through the roof if I eat processed cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It does make a difference. For me, I get a lot of finger and toe pain when I overdo the sugar. I know that sounds nuts, but that is the only time I get the pain.

Medical science is starting to discover that table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are a poison to the body. It is only in the last few years that they have made this discovery. Sugar affects blood pressure even more so than sodium; it causes inflammation leading to things such as arthritis and cancer; and it greatly contributes to weight gain and obesity.

I've read that quitting sugar cold turkey takes about two weeks to adjust to. Expect to feel worse before you feel better. In the long run your body will thank you.
  4. Its funny you say that as I have had such pain in my toe and hands. But sugar is in so much!
  5. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I agree with other posts, at the very least reducing unnatural sugars is a good idea. I believe cutting out caffeine also helps as it can lead to spikes in your blood sugar levels. I have certainly felt better since gradually reducing to one cup a day so far.
  6. Alcohol has never been one of my problems at all, not interested. But sugar, sigh...I will try to slowly cut back.