Does removing stress help anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Momskelleygirl, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

My 16 year old went back to his dad's on Monday, and since he left I have not had the added stress of worring 24/7 about where he is, who he is with, and what he is doing, or what his temperment might be (he is diagnosed bi-polar, manic depressive, and scares me with his temper).
    Don't get me wrong I love him, and srill worry about him, but it is a great stress fqctor in my life that is lifted now that he is gone, and a lot of the pain has gone also. I still have have pain, and a the other symptoms seem to stand out more. But for the time being the pain fqactor is a little more easy to handle. It just seems to go hand in hand with the stress level.

Has anyone else discovered this to be true?
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

improvement when there's nill stress going on, which is very rare. But, it has happened & what a differce! I'd have to win the lottery for my life to be able to be like that on a regular basis. That would be bliss. dolsgirl
  3. Momskelleygirl

Not that I am a bad Mom but right now i feel like i won the lottery, especially because the rain is tolerable.

Now it is just trying to live with the rest of it until my 12 year old starts to act up.
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

My kids have given me nothing but stress! My oldest son was hyperactive from birth and something of a "juvenile delinquent", attempted suicide at age 18 and is now an alcoholic. My daughter is clinically depressed, has FM also, had a bad marriage and is in another one that is worse and thought I was a built-in babysitter. My middle son was a model child - until last year when he misappropriated his greatgrandfather's money, had himself made executor and sole heir of the new will (my grandfather was senile), cutting out all of the rightful heirs.

I was under so much stress from my adult kids that I finally "ran away from home". We left in an RV and have only been back 3 times. But I left my daughter and 2nd husband renting our house and they still owe us $2,400 in back rent which we'll never see.

That's why we live in Texas and they all live in Pennsylvania! I feel much better now. . .

JoAnn
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I'm more sensitive to it now since I've been sick.

i used to thrive on high stress sometimes.

Jen
  6. Momskelleygirl

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who had pain from stress of kids. I thought that maybe I was just being to sensitive, or maybe a bad mother because I had to ask my 16 year old to leave, so I could feel better. Thanks for your input.

Kelley
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I believe stress is one of our worst enemys with these illnesses.

My kids gave me problems like most do these days, but I finally moved out of the city into the country. I not only got away from city life, but from a lot of toxic people I knew as well.

I spend lots of time alone now, my husband works for an oil company so is gone for weeks at a time, my three children are all grown and have their own lives. So I do have time to devote to my health without much interference from the outside world.

Caller ID is one of my best 'support systems', I have the option of answering that phone or not these days. Plus living so far from everyone makes for little company too, which I am so happy for now.

The big thing I learned that helped with the stress, is to simply say 'no' and mean it. That goes for family and friends now, my husband too.

I do not think you are a bad Mother, these days some children are just out of hand, and there is not much you can do with them.

Mine were raised with a Mother that was, and still is, a disciplinarian. I demanded that they respected me, , and they did and still do.
    I had trouble with one son, and I stay with it till he straightened himself out, although it took a lot out of me to do so. But he is a fine man now with a son of his own. But I did see the dark side of the moon with him for a few years.

If anyone wants to beat these illnesses at all, you have got to find a way to eliminate as much stress as possible in your everyday life.

Quit worrying about your son, it does not help and its only causing you stress.
    If you can't handle him, then just give him to God, and move on. Worry has never helped anyone, but it sure hurts the worrier.

Shalom, Shirl

8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It's been long believed that stress is what causes FM, along with some other things. Getting rid of my stress helped my adrenals recover. I feel much better and now am dealing with a thyroid that is recovering.

Marilyn :)
  9. Momskelleygirl

thanks shirl for the kind words,
    i feel guilty, at times, but i just needed a break, i never new when he would go off punch walls, try to hurt himself or his little brother.
    his father is going to send him to live in mexico with his grandparents on their ranch, and hopefully he will learn some responseability when he has to help out with the farm chores, go to school, then come home to work out with the field hands.
    his grandmother raised 14 children and has helped straightend out some of her other grand children along with her husband and one of her older daughters and hopefullly it will work again.

kelley
  10. ozgran

ozgran New Member

and it doesn't have to be a bad stress. If I am under pressure to get something done, or be on time, then I am likely to break out in a sweat and will eventually "hit the wall" and have to lie down. Once I have had a rest then I feel better.

I have never spent so much time at home, which is strange after being out in the workforce and being in a very people orientated job. I still am happy with being with people. Go to Church each week, am heavily involved with tomorrow's service, am on a comittee for getting the Community Garden going, help with the monthly luncheon for the elderly, do my patchwork by stopping and starting etc. Take a lead role in a number of things, so it not a case of I don't want to do things. It is a case of if I have plenty of time to organise myself and lead into things and also have time to do things at a reasonable pace, then I am fine.Otherwise NO.

So yes Stress does affect me. Love Ozgran.
  11. Momskelleygirl

One thing i found out, but didn't want to believe, is that good stress can start off a pain session as well. I think the first time anyone thought of fibro was the day after my daughter's wedding. I had an appt. at my docs office, got up that morning in such pain, it was almost as bad as labor. By the time I got to my docs office I could barely stand let alone walk. Up until then I had been showing signs of fibro, but it had never been mentioned, not even that day (she put it in my chart as an idea but not officially) she sent me straight to the hospital for a shot, and saw me the next day. After that day, symptoms started to show up more, and a year and a half later the puzzle started coming together. We both started taking a good long look at the over all health picture since my 20's, along with the help of an emergency room doc, and a hodpital staff doc we all just knew it was fibro. (actually my doc off and on had unofficially put it in her notes since my daughter's wedding, but now she had 2 other docs who agreed which made the dx official).
    fogg got my brain, sorry for rambling.
    Kelley