Does shopping exhaust others?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 27, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Hi everyone,

I suppose I mostly wanted to vent. I've just come back from the grocery store. I'm still in the midst of a flare, and today was my first day shopping alone in some time. Because I live in the DC area where the heat is awful and the air quality worse, I have returned totally exhausted. I even felt weak pushing my cart around in the air conditioned store. Does anyone else feel this way, overwhelmed by the unfairness of this disease? Healthy people don't realize how hard it is to live with this challenge! How wonderful to have a group that actually gets it!!!

Try to have a great day!
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

that I use the motorized carts available at many stores.

I haven't used it yet for two reasons: I'm only 41 fer cripes sake! And perhaps more important, where do you put all the groceries???

I have walked out a store because I just didn't have the energy to finish shopping. Maybe you could split your shopping over several days. Inconvenient, but a thought.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it does. I sometimes go without stuff until I feel like shopping. I do have a handicap sticker so I don't have to walk so far when I am not well. Most of the stores have the scooters and there is no shame in using them when we are tired. I also will not shop when I am sick and the stores are busy. I wait until they are not crowded.

I have bought a beach cart, which is like a shopping cart only better, to haul my groceries up the steps to my condo when I'm sick. I also use it to haul my recycleables and trash to the dumpster area.

Love, Mikie
  4. shazz

shazz New Member

I can get a very few things in the grocery store, but for the major shopping trip, I make one or both of the kids go along, I make a list, send them to the areas of the store to pick up things, I usually just sit on the bench or do a very limited area. Then if the lines are long, I go sit on the bench in front of the store, (usually we do the major shopping at Walmart),I then have them stand in line and when they get to the front , I walk up and get out the check card to pay.
    Pretty sad isn't it? I never shop for clothes, never do the malls, If I need some shirts for example I will have my hubby drive me to the Salvation Army, get a few that will work and come home.
    So you are not alone by any means. I am still way too proud to use a motorized cart, Don't know why, I guess I take after my 95 year old Grammie who never ever did use a wheelchair her whole life.

hugs,

Shazz
  5. klarry

klarry New Member

It is so great to know others are in the same boat. I shall take your advice. I am old enough to remember when grocery stores weren't the giant sizes they are now. Wouldn't it be nice if we could shop in stores that limited their space? (Oh, by the way I am over 50 too, but I refuse to blame this on age!!!).
  6. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I haven't been able to do the grocery shopping for three and a half years. It started off when I broke my pelvis from a slight fall (osteoporsis). I was able to walk around the house from that in a reasonable amount of time, but everytime I try to shop I get exhausted and the pain and weakness kick in big time. My dh has been doing it ever since. I can get to the store for a few items, but that's about it. As for the motorized carts; they are more trouble than they're worth. My store has them, but to use them you have to walk to the office to get the key, or find someone to do it for you. The baskets are small. That doesn't matter too much because I can only get a few things at a time. When you leave the store it's the same story with the key. Either bring it back yourself or find an employee. And then you have to get the groceries from the cart to your car! There are a couple of stores that leave the keys in the cart, but those carts are usually really broken down.

I went to the mall with dh a couple of weeks ago. Walked the length of it, and then spent the next week almost in tears because of the pain it stirred up. Needless to say, I've gotten pretty good at on-line shopping!! LOL That's about the only shopping I can manage. Oh well, I'm sure there are worse things to endure. Right?
    Mar
  7. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I could happily shop for hours. Now I don't have the stamina to keep going for long, I tire so quickly.

Oh well I guess it'll save me some money if I can't go shopping so often!!
    Pam
  8. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

It kills me. Going shopping with my teenager is enough to keep me in bed for a week after we are finished. I have to give her limits. We can go these three places today and in three days we can go to these three places. Etc. If I am going fo an all out grocery shopping adventure, I have to lay down the rest of the evening if I go in the afternoon. It is so hot in the 95 degree weather. Then haulingn the groceries in, cleaning the fridge out first before I can put new stuff in, putting the new groceries away. I takes me an hour to cool down (cold drinks and fans) and then I lay down too. I am worthless after that. It is worse in the summer heat for me, though ( :

Lynda B.
  9. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I am only 32 and every time I go shopping, it throws me into a flare. I have a 2 year old who I won't take with me, he stays at home with daddy, so I have to do 2 weeks worth of shopping at Super Wal-mart by myself. By the time I get done, I am limping and close to tears. It's so embarrasing, being so young and people watching me gimp around. My cart weighs at least 200 pounds and I only weigh 105!! I go every 2 weeks because that's how DH gets paid, but I've been thinking seriously about saving money up and going every week. More trips, but less groceries each time... I also have DDD, and I think that is what is hurting me.
  10. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I moved to a small town after living in a large metro area. I hate shopping here (but have to admit I like the size of the store!)--they often don't have what I want (even if they usually carry it), they only get deliveries twice a week, so the produce is usually questionable, and sometimes prices are a lot higher....

But I am grateful to have a store 1/2 a block away, so I shop there when I can. And I can always find something if the cupboard is bare....

Just letting you know that we've become so used to the large stores and the variety & quantity that they can stock, that going back to smaller stores ain't what we might imagine. :)
  11. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Most days, the mere thought of having to go to the shopping centre to get food etc makes me feel feint! I almost always go with mum now, cause i cant tell if im going to be ok on my own or not from day to day. Too many times though, i get to the shopping centre, get out of the car, feel like im gonna collapse and have to be taken home again! Im so sick of it i mean im only 25 and all my friends go to the beach for hours swimming, go out dancing half the night, go to the gym for an hours workout AFTER work, or go for long walks, and i have the hardest time struggling to stay upright on my legs to buy a few things to eat. :( So yes, your certainly not alone on this one.

Chris.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That some Publix stores will deliver. If you go online to look at each chain's website, you might find a store in your area which delivers.

I would think that churches or some kind of agencies would provide this to people without family, friends, or any other way to get groceries.

Love, Mikie
  13. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

one of my most favorite pasttimes and can't even get excited about it. i even love to grocery shop. it's exausting. not even counting putting all the S#$%t away!
    so i hear ya klarry. and boy do i get it!!! LOL
  14. teach6

teach6 New Member

Some of the Giants in the DC area deliver through Peapod. Just go to the Giant Food website and you can find out more about it.

Personally, I prefer to do my own shopping unless I'm really wiped out. I always use the electric carts. My Giant even gave me my own key to their cart.

You would be amazed at how much you can cram into one with a little practice. I even put large items like TP, paper towels, dog food on the floor of the cart so I can get more in the basket. It also means I don't have to lift heavy things, like the dog food.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2003]
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

OMG YES!! I do my shopping on mondays....lets just say that on tuesdays I'm useless!!Sometimes my boyfriend will ask me to go out to dinner on a monday night,I have to decline(and I hate to do that!!cause I LOVE to eat out!!LOL)But I tell him I can't because i'm too beat from shopping.....He just looks at me like I'm nuts!!but I have'nt the energy to even get dressed decent,and walk from the house to the car,the car to the restaurant,and back!!It just takes too much!!(pretty pathetic huh?)I'm 40 and sometimes I feel in worse shape than a elderly person!!
    Oh well...I can see from all the replys we're not near alone!
  16. BSHLEEN

BSHLEEN New Member

Me to I endup gettting everythhing I don't need And forget every thing else I hate is And I've been so tired And I even look like crap Help[ nothing helps.
  17. granch

granch New Member

Going shopping drains me, physically as well as mentally.
    When I get home I only unload what I have to. Pretty pathetic, I have left some items out in the car for three days. Like toilet paper, deodorant, paper towels, things

that do not need to be refrigerated. I never ever told anyone. But one day I read somewhere in coping strategies article, this was one she had recommended. I CANNOT EVEN TELL YOU HOW ELATED I WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh yes, we do what we can to get by, and we are not alone.
    Do only what you need to and save your energy. I usually just go home and sleep.
    Thanks for being there. God Bless.
  18. teach6

teach6 New Member

I leave things in my car much longer than that. I hauled a package of TP around for about a month recently. If my son's not around to help me unload I only bring in what has to come in. If it doesn't spoil I leave it out in the van until I feel like bringing it in.

Barbara
  19. pj97305

pj97305 New Member

I have four major disorders working against me ... Graves - HGH deficiency - Fibro & Lupus. I use to love going to the malls with my daughter & grandsons ... now I can barely handle getting a few groceries. One of my doctors gave me samples of PROVIGIL (a med used for people with narcolepsy) it has helped me get thru the days .... but I have to take a very small dose or else I cannot get to sleep, even with the sleeping pills. It doesn't take away the fatigue ...it just keeps me going. Might be worth asking your Doc about it.