does shopping tire anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pastorw1, Nov 17, 2005.

1. pastorw1

pastorw1 New Member

hi everyone,

just wanted to know if shopping tires anyone else as much as me, i really can;t walk over the grocery store anymore
    i have to use one of the riding carts and i really feel bad about that, am i the only one?

thanks and God bless you all.

pastor's wife or pastorw1
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I find that I often go home w/o something that I need because I just get exhasted and leave the store. That happened last night.

I went to Walmart w/my girls and left w/o laundry soap. I live 35 miles away and regret it now but that is just how it is.

Kelly
  3. darude

darude New Member

Have been doing up to the last few months and said couldn't do anymore. Used to go once per week but next day could barely function so I think i'm giving it up for now.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll sometimes go with a friend and she'll want to hit a few stores. No way!! after 1 store I'm done!!
    she looks at me odd like I should'nt be tired already~
    She's right,..any normal person would'nt be tired!
    I'm far from normal.

I'd say I'm ok for about 40 minutes. although I can and do stretch myself for sometimes 2 hrs!! I pay too.'

Not only at the check-out!! I pay for days~
    really,..it takes me 2-3 days to recover sometimes.
    Your not alone hunny~
    Take it easy and don't push yourself :)
    Its not worth it~

Hugs
    Tandy
  5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I usually have to come back and take a nap after.

It has gotten so bad that I will either go without or I will stop at the little convenience store.

The only thing that really forces me to go is when I need dog and cat food.

Tigger
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

You're definately not alone. Shopping definately tires me. The next day I'm in bed. Sometimes I'll be fine, but that's rare.

I live by Internet shopping! And a husband who does the grocery shopping.

7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You've been gone since August! How have you been? I wondered what happened to you. So glad to see your name.

I can go to the grocery store, but I usually have to rest afterwards. I don't go to the mall like I used to and just browse...no way. I have started doing internet shopping and have gotten most of my Christmas shopping done sitting right here in this chair. (-:

Do hope all is well with you. Welcome back!

Sue
  8. katbird7

katbird7 New Member

Hi, I am a pastor's wife too. I am 48 and used to love to shop almost as a hobby. But no more. I barely get through a Walmart and get my groceries and out. We live 30 minutes away from a small Walmart and 1 hr. 10 min from a mall so I am usually exhausted before I get started. The sad thing is I am a lucky woman because my husband now loves to shop, but I just can't keep up with him. Already worried about the Christmas season coming up. I too felt like I would love to ride a buggy. I guess it's pride. People now look at me and say I look like I'm healthy. They just don't understand what's going on on the inside.
    Blessings and love, Kat7
  9. Juloo

Juloo Member

I definitely hate shopping. The stores are just so big, and all that walking. Another part of the problem is that I just try to push through and get everything done so I can go home, so I put off eating. Then I'm tired and have low blood sugar (a lovely combination standing in a barely-moving checkout line).

I think part of the reason I hate it is because my mother used to drag me around like that. She LOVED to walk, and she was practically a camel -- didn't eat breakfast or lunch, and I don't remember her ever getting thirsty. Shopping was hell, and still is.

Hooray for catalogs! Now if I could only work out something similar with my grocery store.
  10. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

Kills me!! and it always has. I could never figure out why everytime I went shopping my back and hips would hurt so bad I would cry after just a short time. I always thought maybe I was doing something wrong, now I know my back just can not take that much walking. I am forever forgetting or just leaving with out things due to hurting so bad...not to mention I also have a 2 year old who HATES to go in any store, so fighting with him makes me so stressed. I have started waiting until the weekend when hubby is home so he can keep DevinLee.

Like the others I totally lean on the buggy and have at times picked up a cane if I ran across one. I have been to ?shy to get one of the electric things just yet.

Not looking forward to the upcoming Christmas shopping

Love and hugs
    Amy
  11. sniffles

sniffles New Member

Hi Pastorw1
    I know how you feel and sometimes I will do without things I need because it makes me tired just getting ready to go somedays. I have to give in some days and use the electric carts and hope that I don't run into anyone I know. I used to go Christmas shopping with my sister the day after Thanksgiving and we would spend the whole day together just enjoying the season and time together, but now I stay home and do most of my Christmas shopping on QVC. Several friends and family still ask me to go with them on a special occasion and most of the time I just don't have the energy or am in to much pain to try walking and keeping up with them. I do most of my grocery shopping at a small town close by so that I only have a few rows to walk thru.
    I also have lost interest in cooking, because that means standing up and getting it ready then cleaning everything up afterwards. I have been disabled with this fibromyalgia for 3 yrs now and can't work, so I just do things when I am feeling good and the rest has to wait for the next bit of energy that comes along. I have learned to take time out on days that are really bad and I seem to be having a real pity party for myself and turn it around and make myself count all the blessings in my life. I have a family that cares, food to eat, place to stay warm and a God that looks after me. So keep hope in each day and take care of yourself. sniffles
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

OMG! It's a killer. I can't hardly do it any longer.

And the only shopping I am talking about is grocery shopping. I, too, have to ride a motor cart. Still, my daughter takes me and we go to a WalMart Supercenter and we are gone anywhere from 5-6 hours on the day we go shopping. We take a break and eat in the store and let her rest (she has a bad knee).

By the time I get the groceries in the house, I am almost in tears because the pain is so bad. I put up the cold stuff and leave the rest until the next day.
  13. I have to work up to it. I HAVE to have a cart, I would love to use a riding cart, but feel stupid using it. I am so stupid thinking that way, but we look normal and I can see the stares. I do alot of internet shopping too, or definately make a list and get what I need and go. I do that also put the refrigerated things away and leave the rest for the next day. I hate this dd SO MUCH!
  14. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I would rather be shot in the foot anymore than go to Wal-Mart. Like one of the others, I have to drive 20 minutes to the closest and by the time I get there I am pooped. I don't shop anywhere without shopping carts anymore. I have to practically lay on them to get around. I too am a little embarrased to use the electic carts and there is usually some little "old" man or lady just behind me that appears to need them much more than me so I just drag along. My doctor told me when I mentioned I couldn't even make it thru Wal-Mart anymore that "maybe I should consider shopping at one of the small grocery stores and forget the larger ones." Well the reason for going to Wal-Mart in the first place is so I won't have to stop at 2 or 3 different stores just to get what all I need. I just wish she would understand more how it is.
    Stinker56
  15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

unless they have the scooters. There is no way I can walk through a store anymore. I am fortunate in that I can shop when the stores are less crowded. The grocery store I go to is very helpful. The person who bags my groceries also walks with me to my car and puts my groceries in the trunk. Lately my husband has been going with me and will push a separate cart around and will help me get what I need.

As for other shopping, I do Internet or catalog shopping as much as possible.

I also have a scooter, but my husband has to go with me if I want to go somewhere like the mall, as I can't get it out of the trunk myself.

Ellen
  16. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

I can't food shop anymore.I discovered through my county Office on Aging that I can have shopping and delivery of the food to meby Catholic Charities. I am paying for the food and given a 5% discount by the store.

This how it works: the night before I call the particular supermarket and tell the employee what I want. The next morning the food is bought and delivered by volunteers from C.C. I give them a check for the amount and a donation to the organization. This is done every 2 wks.

I don't go to malls either. I shop at a department store that is free-standing and I buy from QVC.

This has been a tremendous help to me. It has nothing to do with religion. Maybe in other parts of the country there are churches that do this.

I hope this helps someone. Marie
  17. MamaR

MamaR New Member

pastorw1

I try to go to the grocery...but only when I think my mind and body can make it through it!

I try to go shopping abit with daughter-in-laws, but last few times I suffered greatly that night and next few days.

I really love to shop...but will probably do most of my shopping online or by phone. We can only push so hard and then we pay!
  18. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

just making the list exhausts me. LOL
    poodlemum
  19. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

What I did to simplify life a little was to type out a list that was organized by groups of food (fresh veggies, meat, etc.) and aisles of the grocery store I go to the most. I print out multiple copies and put them on the frige.

When I run out of something, I circle it with the pen I keep by the fridge... that is the pen's job, it never moves, it is known as the fridge pen... LOL...

That way, when shopping day comes, I review the list, put "C" next to the items I have coupons for. Rest a minute... then off I go...

But, I am afraid, there is no help for days like today. I went to the store tired, nearly blacked out. Had to grab a cold coke and pay for it at register though I had already had half of it to drink... Was sooooo exhuasted, should have accepted the store's offer to carry stuff out to car... but car is such a mess with fishing and camping stuff I haven't put away quite yet... was embarrassed. Isn't that silly? Was almost too exhausted to carry groceries up and to put them away.

Hope that the idea helps a little... oh, and going shopping for anything else at mall, with options and lights and noises... foggedaboutit!
  20. maxsy1221

maxsy1221 New Member

Hello all...
    I too get worn out. Not that I loved shopping anyway but still, ANY kind of shopping is tiring. Went to a craft show today( of which I used to regularly go to several times a year....after 2 hours, I was ready for home. What scares me, is that I'm only 47, only been diagnosed for 5 years, just wondering ((If I live to be 70!!)) how I will manage anything then!! But....shouldn't worry about that now.....I just hate it. I'm also a newly gram with my first "grandaughter"
    (((I had 3 sons!!))).....and like I just want to "shop" for ALL girls stuff and can't!! : ( God, I can only hope and pray they one day soon will find something for us!! My pain is mostly upperbody.....So no lifting etc....I really couldn't imagine hurting in lower body. Hell, "fibro monster" hurts at any time.
    Been reading more and more about cold laser therapy. Just tired of nothin working. ((soryy, just venting a little tonight))...I just love this site and check here absolutely EVERYDAY maybe just to hear a new miracle or....just to vent.
    Thank you all soooooo much just for listening.