Does Sitting for Long Periods of Time Cause Aches/Pain In Thighs, Hips etc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 2, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I try to do the church bulletins one day a week. So after getting them ready I sat at the desk folding them which took a little over 2 hrs. I began to hurt between my shoulders which I always do but my thighs and hips are aching to the bone. Came home took some bufferin went to bed with a heating pad and they still are achy plus a headache. I have done this before and they would ache for awhile but not this bad. Now can't stand, walk or sit for hurting. What else with this DD or is it the DD..

Thanks and God Bless,
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi greatgran

have you tried using a foot stool? I can no longer sit especially in a straight hard chair. even with the special cushions I bought(altho they help). Is it possible to sit on a couch where you can recline a little? this is the only way i get thru.
    take breaks
  3. luckyman

luckyman New Member

Doing anything for 2 hrs is not good for us, except maybe sleeping, and even that can cause problems if its in the form of a nap. (Of course a good night sleep is essential.) Other than that, a variety of moving sitting, standing, stretching, walking, etc. must be done in moderation with frequent changes of activity, or simply laying/ reclining for breig periods. I know that's what's best for me, and It seems to be consistant in the posts that I've read.

You have to experiment with different activities and rest periods, length of both activities and rest/naps to fit what your body wants to do. You need to be self centered for a while until you work out the best combination. This will free any left over enery that will allow you to socialize, and be selfless. It's pacing, but more. It's really more helpful to me than any other modality by itself, including medications. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I never thought of getting up and moving around. Where is my mind. I was in a hurry to finish and get out of there. My thighs and upper legs are where my pain is soooooo much worse.

Oh, this aging thing..

God Bless,
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, laying down is so depressing but sometimes that is all we can do. How are you doing?

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

3gs, never thought of a foot stool, I usually sit in the recliner or lay down and move around but just don't understand why my big thighs hurt /ache so bad..

Luckyman, Yes, its all about pacing and listening to our bodies but seems I haven't found out what my body wants. I am either not doing enought or to much. My doc told me even on good days to rest, this was a healing day.

Hope both of you are doing well.

Hugs and God bless,

7. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

How are you doing now?

I agree with everyone it's about pacing and listening to our bodies. Sometimes
    I'm a good listener and sometimes I feel just good enough that I forget ~ but not
    for long.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

sitting for too long, riding in a car for a long drive, even staying in bed way too long( which is hard NOT to do) when i have been really in pain like your describing gran, i can bet my sed rate will be elevated also.guess theres some kinda inflamation thats worse than the normal pain we feel every day.i really think it's a flare of good ole fibro.
    Hope your better soon!
  9. daboysone

daboysone New Member

I understand. You are not alone, we are here too! You are not are here with us! That comforts me. I just found this message board a couple days ago and already feel like someone else can understand and validate me.
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

BDTM, I am so sorry about your depression oh its awful and you are not alone I can so relate to how you feel.. I go to bed with it and wake up with the depression /worry. I wish I had some advice but I don't . Just come here and we will all cry together. Hugs, GG

Kat, just don't understand why my thighs and legs have started hurting so much worse and yes, everytime I ride in a car and use the seatbelt I can feel it hours after being out of the car. Will be in

Dab, Welcome so glad you are here and it does help so much to cry or smile with those here that know how you feel. It is a comfort to share with understanding people. I feel this board are my true friends. I do hope someday there will be a cure or at least something that will give us comfort from feeling so bad. God Bless, gg