Does SOLUBLE FIBER interact with meds or food????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 28years, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 28years

28years New Member

I want to get more fiber in my diet. So I want to start taking some soluble fiber, but I'm afraid it might interfer with the absorption of my Meds and food. Since I spread out my meds throughout the whole day - I don't know when I can take it, esp. if I must take it on an empty stomach.

Does anyone know if soluble fiber interfiers with absorption of food and meds?
  2. 28years

28years New Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Also, what about other meds?

Sorry I missed the bump. I've been away from the boards for a while. I was getting information overload

Food wise-- I've been able to add egg salad to my dinner menu. Its been a big help. Still, even egg salad is a three day process for me.
    day -1 boil eggs
    day- 2 make egg salad
    day -3 make sandwhich!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  3. 28years

28years New Member

I just found the bump.

Thanks so much for thinking of me. It means more than I can say. I very often go 2 weeks without seeing or speaking to anyone (except my cat), sometimes a go as long as 3 or 4 weeks.
  4. 28years

28years New Member

Thanks--just the info I was looking for. now all I have to do is find a time when have an empty stomach and I'm not taking any meds.

I take multi vit drink before I get out of bed in the morning and I take my last meds before bed. I'm not sure if there is any time I have a stomach empty of food or meds.

5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes, I totally understand what you mean, 28 years.

Here's what I do:

I have found that soluble fiber does soak up a little of my circulating thyroid hormone, and I want to keep as much of that in my body as possible, so I definitely don't take the soluble fiber first thing in the morning. That's when I take my thyroid.

I have been taking my soluble fiber right before bedtime, along with my last dose of calcium and magnesium. I have read that the soluble fiber increases absorption of calcium, so it seems fine to take them together.

I guess I usually have a fairly empty stomach by bedtime, but I haven't been a real stickler about that aspect of it. A truly empty stomach means waiting two hours after eating or one hour before. I put forth that kind of effort for my enzyme pills, because it's crucial for them.

I wonder why it's supposed to be taken on an empty stomach? If it's supposed to bind with bile in order to remove toxins, then the gall bladder needs some motivation to squirt some bile into the digestive tract, doesn't it? It doesn't squirt bile randomly, but when we eat. So I am puzzled.

Good luck, 28years!

6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, I found the answer to my question in Dr. Short-Ray's book "Surviving Toxic Black Mold Syndrome". She says if you take a bile-binder with food, it will bind to the cholesterol in the food instead of to the bile and toxins.