Does symptoms get any better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sherry, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Sherry

Sherry New Member

I been suffering with fibromyalgia for almost a year? Some of the symptoms are so horrible an scarey. Does anyone notice if the symptoms get lighter in time?
  2. Sherry

Sherry New Member

I been suffering with fibromyalgia for almost a year? Some of the symptoms are so horrible an scarey. Does anyone notice if the symptoms get lighter in time?
  3. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

You will have your ups and downs with fm. Some days you will be able to do things you didn't think you would ever be able to do again and some days you won't be able to do hardly anything. Just hang in there and don't give up. Praying is a great solution.
    Good Luck hope this helps
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

As an informed patient you can make recommendations to your doc and also recognize treatments you do not want to try. This board is a wealth of information. By reading and trial and error you can find what works best for you and indeed improve how you feel.

Barbara
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...including 10 running a support group. From my experience, I'd say I saw three kinds of people:
    1. About 10% of people with mild symptoms, who get so much better over time that they are essentially normal as long as they don't push too hard. I noticed these people had two things in common, ie. they did not have any of the strange nervous system symptoms,and they had good support from loved ones. People who were going to be in this group usually got well within 4 yrs.
    2. About 10% of people who become so deeply mired in secondary depression that they never lift a finger to help themselves, expecting doctors to do it all. These people got worse and worse and usually ended up needing motorized carts to get around. A few even ended up with hemolytic anemia, from taking so many heavy painkillers, and some lost most of their hair.
    3. the 80% majority of people I saw who worked to find the right combo of supplements, foods, exercises and meds for them and kept plugging away at it. Over time these people (including me) usually see a big decrease in the pain (this decrease is often coincidental with menopause), and the nervous system problems take over as the biggest stumbling block. The strange changes in blood pressure, heartbeat, swallowing, temperature and noise sensitivity, burning sensations in the skin, mood swings, etc. become the biggest problem, esp. for those who have been ill more than ten yrs., and some of these may get worse, I think mostly because we just get worn out from being sick and become less resilient.
    That was my experience. I hope you end up being in the first group.
    Klutzo
  6. pamela

pamela New Member

All the people that write on this web are so incredible w/ their own experiences.. especially Mikie and Klutzo. I found out about my Fibro June 2002, although I had all the symptoms since my wreck, March 2000. Anyway, since I have found out about Fibro I have done the most research about what causes the pain, what NOT to eat..NO CARBS, SUGARS AND CAFFEINE AND NO STARCHES. These cause major fatigue, pain and just all kinds of upset w/ fibro people. That kind of stuff sends me UNDER the bed..not to bed... but under the bed!! HA!!! I have to laugh because little me, myself and I just don't know how else to cope w/ such a radical change in my life. NO SUGARS and NO CAFFEINE and NO CARBS. Also, go get the books on FIBRO and you will get lots of help that way. It taught me how to cope better and what to do for pain and fatigue. Hope this helps!!! Pamela
  7. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I also hope for you that you are in group #1. I have CF, but I have found that The self treatment for me is just as said here, dietwise. The answer I would give is that the symptoms may or may not get better, but that you will get so much better at managing and handling them, that it's as if they're not as bad. You should educate yourself and keep positive. If you are faced with a new challenge, such as a new symptom, you will have to allow yourself to process the information, and your reaction to it. But realize that you will adjust to it, manage it, and integrate it. You'll handle it!