Does the "envelope theory" help at all?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

The envelope theory is about not pushing your limits and staying within these limits until you can master it.

I've been told by a support group member that this is highly effective if one can stay within limits and that it is the best way to see progress.

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2010]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I haven't found it to work for me and I've had CFS for 19 years.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think it is a good theory but realistically, my envelope can change daily.

I do more pacing as I know how I feel at the moment. But to figure out how you will be tomorrow is sometimes just an educated guess.

4. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. So they say you should gradually work up and not go above your activity goal no matter how you feel. As you can stay within that energy window then you can move up
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

it's basically about pacing. It's very difficult to do properly, but I've found it to be one of the main things that has helped me. I read Martha Kilcoyne's book, and her interview on this site, as well as info from other sites. Out of all that, I worked out a program that I stick to every day.

I keep a daily log on Excel and make it into a line chart so I can see any progress or regress. Once set up, it takes only a minute or so every day to fill in.

As a result, I have not had a crash in over a year, although I came close over the Christmas holidays. I still have a LONG way to go, but progress is being made.

It's very difficult for me to follow the plan sometimes, but the commitment to it is paying off.
  6. Honora88

Honora88 Member

If only I can get my bills on excel!
  7. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I agree with gapsych - tomorrow is an "educated guess". My doctor just chastized me my last appointment about overdoing it. If I know I am getting tired, I will rest, but one cannot really predict what will cause a relapse - today, tomorrow or the next day.

Not to mention - I HAVE TO WORK!! I am a single mom, I do not have a choice.

As I sit here tonight working, I am exhausted, crying exhausted- you all know the drill. Can I rest? NO. Can I get some sleep? NO.

I MUST push the envelope- I dont have a choice![This Message was Edited on 06/09/2010]
  8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

pacing is one of the absolute best "treatments" for cfs. it is essential. it should be a priority for all of us. not always easy to do.

last time i really overdid it, i was in bed (mostly) for 3 weeks.

good luck!!!

9. simpsons

simpsons Member

it s the eighty per cent rule do eighty percent of what you feel you can do and then stop

the energy you researve is getting better or recovery for your body

its hard to rest when you have energy but when you have less relapses its a joy

not always easy to do and not a cure but tkin g your energy down to level s where its battery is out then not able to have any energy to fight back

i am able to manage my symptoms this way but take me over my limit and i.m back ill agaiin but do try it
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

when I first got sick I tried to push through the fatigue and other symptoms, but learned that wouldn't work, so I started trying to stay within my envelope (I agree that sometimes it is just really hard to tell exactly how large your envelope is for any given day, but in general I really tried to stop any activity when I still felt like I had a little energy left)

it made things somewhat manageable for awhile, but overall I have continued to get sicker

so the idea of using this to gradually increase my envelope seems laughable (though I know that some people say it has helped them)....I now do not have any envelope to speak of so whenever I do ANYthing, I am overdoing it