Does the fibro fog make you feel like a MENTAL case?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jan 15, 2007.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I know that we all suffer from this, but how do you know when it's more than just fog?
    I'm still very young, my husband thinks I have a mental defect and wants me to go for a brain scan!

I constantly walk into things and sometimes hurt myself very badly, I can't remember things he told me 2 minutes ago, if he asks me about something he asked me to do the day before it is like it never happened, I forget entire conversations that we had. He'll look at me and say do you remember last night when we talked about so and so and then it is just like a big black empty space in my mind.

I even sometimes make mistakes in my job because of the fog, sometimes when I want to remember to take something out of the house or from work I'll repeat it to myself over and over again (remember to take ....) and then I'll walk right past it and forget about it instantly.

It is so frustrating, what will it be like when I'm 70! I'm sure many of you can relate, but my husband doesn't understand just how bad the fibro fog can get :)
    I have a diary for 2007, in which I forget to write, forget to look in it, or forget where I left it!

Phoebe
  2. clw

clw New Member

YES!!

You need to go to sites with accurate descriptions of FM/CHF and have your husband read them. I will try to respond with some good ones later.

Don't rule out med side affects either. See my response re: drug sites.
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Phoebe ...
    I have alot of what you describe. I forget lots of things, although some days, for whatever reason, I seem to be right on track with conversations and remebering things. Those good days are rare, but I an thankful for them.

I am also clumsier than in the past. If you are really running into things alot, I think you should go ahead and get checked. Why not do it if you can. Just to be safe, to make sure nothing else is going on.

I do sympathize with you though.... I have lots of "Duhhhhhhh" Days. Today I have lots of work to catch up on and honestly I stressed all night about it because I was sure it would be another one of those days and I cannot offord for that to happen today.

Good Luck to you!
    Hugs
    Kim
  4. Grace4today

Grace4today New Member

Hi, I agree that you cannot discount the effects of meds, but it can also just be the 'nature of the beast'. When I was diagnosed back in '92, I lost a lot of my long term memory and my short term was terrible. I could not even speak properly, as it was hard to form a sentence. Writing took forever because of loss of motor skills. Had to keep note pads everywhere and put sticky notes all over. The kids were also a help to remind me of things. With a lot of effort and prayer, I gradually regained most of the memory function and motor skills, however, when I'm really tired, or have overtaxed myself physically, the fog is far more evident. I have not bee able to take any meds because of the negative effects - way too groggy and unbalanced.
    There are many dietary and nutritional supplements that can help with memory, unless of course it is caused by meds, but that too can usually be lessened.
    You are certainly not alone.
  5. mejlee

mejlee New Member

Obviously, what is for some is not for others and obviously you should discuss your symptoms with your Dr.

But...

In my case, if wish to share this with your dear hubby, I have had 3 MRI's, 2 CT's, 4 EEG's, and a number of nerurological, pshcological, and intellegence test run.

All of the tests come back normal. Except the intellegence, which is above normal. My daughter teases me and says, "I'm the dumbest smart person she has ever met!" Then she teases me more by saying, "Or is it the smartest dumb person?" She has learned to love when I call a car - toast, or have to point to a plastic bag, because I simply can not remember what it is called. And she really loves when I walk out of my room, forget what I was doing, go back to my room - remember, walk out of my room, forget what I was doing... you get the idea! She is 15, but has been watching me do this since she was 2, so now we both just laugh.

If your Dr has ruled out things such as seizures or stroke. Tell your hubby to lighten up. Or we will all come over and forget what we were going to say to him. :) Our blank stares should be enough to help him understand!
  6. Daisys

Daisys Member

Yep, I hate the memory lapses just about the most. It's like I didn't live it if I can't remember it.

The worst was when I met someone, she came to my house, we had hours of quality time and really hit it off. She loved me dearly, like a second Mother. The next time she saw me, I had never 'met' her. I explained the condition, but she still was very saddened, and I, of course, felt guilty. (Yes, I know it's not my fault)

When I look back on my life, this was the one symptom that I had before I got sick. So, I must be one of those who have the genes, and it just took enough triggers to bring it on fully.

I've been doing so well lately, and thinking so clearly, that I thought I had my mind back. But twice in the last few days, I've had evidence of lapses. And of course, losing words and trains of thought are still there. ((sigh))

I am now almost 55, and have to say, it gets better in one way: my husband, almost 60, is starting to have senior moments, so we're evening out a little bit there. (hee hee)
  7. buffyr

buffyr New Member

Definately normal even though it seems sometimes like it can't be. It's so hard when that is going on. Mine comes and goes, right now it's better but my pain is worse :) I found myself trying to explain what a hose was once because I couldn't find the word (a plastic tube water goes thru it, etc..) Hubby thought that was hilarious. I was top grades for my class in high school and college, I feel like I've lost so much from this disease. At work I write something down as soon as I'm asked to do something so i don't forget it(unless I lose the paper)don't laugh it's happened! I make complete lists of everywhere I need to go and what i need to get before I run errands. Sometimes it's bad in friendships because people can take your not remembering as not caring. Hang in there!!! It's not easy, but you'll make it. P.S. hopefully by the time we're 70 they'll have this thing figured out and can treat it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
  8. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

Hi to everybody. I am new to all this FM. Over the last few years I have been saying some really weird things and I see they are a symptom of FM? So many times I can't think of the name of something. Describing a bananna instead of calling it a bananna. Mowing the carpet is acceptable in my house now.

What do people take for these awfull headaches? I can't find anything that works.
  9. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thank you for the replies, I had a good laugh and don't feel so alone anymore.
    I just came back from a 4 week holiday and it is SO hard for me to get back into work, waking up at 5am, falling out of bed (so stiff and tired), trying to get through morning traffic etc.

I feel like I can't even talk properly in the morning and just sit and stare like a zombie and hope that no-one comes into my office to strike up a conversation.

Three weeks ago I walked into a cupboard door and banged my elbow so hard that I started crying like a baby, it's still painful and now there is a funny sharp bone spur that wasn't there before. Not long after that I banged my already bruised foot against a gate and it is still swollen, my husband says that he is going to baby proof the house for me! I am going to print out some info for him to read so that he can see that I'm not really crazy.

Forgetting things must be the hardest for me, my husband says that he can't trust me with any chores because I always forget to do things he asks.

Thanks for sharing all your fog stories!
    Phoebe
  10. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Fibro fog from a guy's perspective. It is real and it is bad. So that makes it real bad. I had to quit my job and career of 27 years with the main reason being fibro fog.

Yes there was pain, fatigue, and all the rest. But the fog was the main reason. When I would talk, I would lose the simpliest word in the middle of a sentence and have to reroute my thought process so I could rearrange my sentence while in the middle of that sentence.

I felt like an idiot. And yet, there would be times, not many, when my mind would be crystal clear. I would want to freeze those times for all eternity if I could. But they were few and far between. Fibro fog is bad because it makes us not trust ourselves.

But to be honest, my wife's memory is far worse than mine and she doesn't have fibro or cfs...It's strange.

But the good news for you though is, at least you remembered that you wrote this thread and came back to read and respond to it....That's a good sign! (I'm just kidding a little). Take care and just know that your doing fine, and it's just the fibro and not in our control. Because if it was, we would fix it.
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I just made a complete idiot of myself at a managers meeting. I'm reading a word from a contract and could not remember how to pronounce it. I just sat there and looked at the word... I blamed it on dayquil as I'm fighting a miserable cold, but it happens all the time. I work in the hospitality business, I'm talking with a client and can not remember the word buffet. I would up telling him, you know, where everybody has to get up and get their food from a long table... yikes! I'm gonna lose my job for this yet!
  12. tinkabela

tinkabela New Member

HI phoebe1!
    My other half is the same! He always thought it peculiar that I can remember some things but not others! some days I can tell people all about my day and other days I couldn't tell you what happened 5 minutes ago!
    I am forever asking people mainly my other half to remind me of thingsa when I get my diary out! When I remember I have one!
    I've now got post it notes stuck around my house to help me remember things and am lucky that my family and friends are understanding! Good luck and I hope you realize you definately are not alone! Tinkabela :)
  13. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Yea, you sound perfectly normally abnormal to me!! I don't even remember that I've placed my keys in my purse and I haven't even left the car yet! I have to say "I've got the keys I've got the keys or I have to check my purse twice just to make sure.

If I am told to do 2 things I don't remember either one and I have to say, huh? It does help being blonde.

While searching for a new place to live my brain totally frozed up and I forgot how to follow a recipe I'd made before. My brain couldn't tell me what to do first so I stood there bewildered knowing I know this stuff.

I've been driving to my pain doctor and get startled for a minute or so because I don't know where I am and I've forgotten where I'm going!

It has helped me to know that they've done studies and found out that when we are distracted we actually do suffer from memory loss. Before that I was sure I had dementia or something.

I too am forever running into doorways and doorknobs because I forget that I've gained weight. How pathetic is that!!??
  14. kiten_deb

kiten_deb New Member

You just decribed ME!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  15. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I feel like I have alzheimers at times.But brain lesions from migraines must add to my fibrofog too.
  16. hi all,
    im now back online.

yes i feel like a basket case with the fibro fog most of the time.especially at my part time job.im so happy that im not working around alot of people,so i dont have to have conversations.

today im cooking a sunday dinner,ready for when my hubby and daughter get in from work.

ive had to write down the times that i put the meat in the oven.start to cook potatoes,and all the rest of it haha.this short term memory is horrible isnt it.

i bought what we over here in the uk call a bum bag.i think you in the states call them a fanny pack.

well i wear this bag around my waist at work,it has a pencil and note pad in it.i write notes down so i can get the chores done for my boss,and i set the alarm on my mobile phone to remind me to take my amitripyline tablet at 5pm,my mobile fits nicely in the bum bag.i have to take my tablet while still at work,so the alarm is a god send.

i dont take much money out doors with me,ive lost my purse because of the fibro fog,so now i go out each morning with a note of the things i need,and carry just enough money in my bum bag.you know for a magazine and other bits and bobs.

my husband and i decided to do a main shopping trip once a week on saturdays,so we each have a shopping trolley and walk to the store.its only just down the road from where i live.i never carry shopping anymore,i did find that,that was the reason i was having the bad back spasms.from carrying heavy bags of shopping,it was straining my muscles in the spine and shoulder area.

id be lost without my mobile phones alarm clock,my bum bag,small change,pencil and note book.

on a funny note, it does make me look pregnant though,hanging there under my jacket haha.but i wouldnt move out of the house without it.

take care all

fran
  17. mshonda400ex

mshonda400ex New Member

I think about people saying that its all in our heads. That sometimes I question, am I really feeling this pain? Isn't that SAD???!!!!!

Kristy
  18. Catseye

Catseye Member

Here is a copy of another post I did about depression. But these neuros are responsible for reading and other body function, too. They have helped me tremendously with fog. It took me a lot of searching to find them all:

Assuming the depression is an imbalance or lack of some neurotransmitters, you may want to try the simple nutrients that your body uses to make them. I haven't been depressed for awhile (since I've been feeling better) but now, when I read alot, my neuros get low and my brain fog increases. So I take these and it takes care of it. Below is a copy of my post to someone else with anxiety and depression. These things may sound "funky" but they are all chemicals either found in food or your body makes to use from other ones in food. So they are natural and since they aren't drugs, your doctor won't know about them. Have you tried 5htp? That's the only one not listed here:

There are many other neurotransmitters that are important besides serotonin.
    Some other neurotransmitter "nutrients" like 5htp you can try are:

phosphatidyl choline
    phosphatidyl serine - amino acid
    TMG (trimethylglycine) - amino acid
    phenylalanine - amino acid
    tyrosine - amino acid
    DMAE (is molecularly similar to choline) - amino acid
    B vitamins
    threonine (everybody spells this one differently) an amino acid

Here's some interesting stuff about "neuros":

5-HTP---converts to--->Serotonin---converts to--->Melatonin

Phenylalanine---converts to--->Tyrosine---converts to--->DOPA---converts to--->Dopamine
    ---converts to--->Norepinephrine---converts to--->Epinephrine (aka adrenaline)

Note that norepinephrine is a key neurotransmitter AND an adrenal hormone.

Here's some neuros, what they're for, sign of deficiencies, and the nutrients your body needs to make it:

Serotonin: for Emotional Stability
    deficiency causes: Lack of rational emotion, feelings of irritability, sudden unexplained tears, sleep problems
    body needs: 5HTP or L-tryptophan, Calcium and Magnesium

Dopamine: for Pleasure, reward, good feelings toward others, maternal/
    paternal love
    deficiency causes: Anhedonia - No pleasure, world looks colorless, inability to "love", no remorse about personal behavior
    body needs: L-phenylalanine, Vitamin B6

Norepinephrine: for Arousal, energy, drive
    deficiency causes: Lack of ambition, lack of drive, depression
    body needs: L-phenylalanine
    Vitamin B6

GABA: for Staying calm
    deficiency causes: Free floating anxiety, feelings that things are closing in around you, unexplained panic
    body needs: L-glutamine, Vitamin B6

Enkephalins: for Psychological pain relief
    deficiency causes: Feelings of incompleteness, lack of fulfillment, feelings of inferiority, feelings of inadequacy, never feels "equal," fearful, insecure feelings
    body needs: D-phenylalanine, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid (a B vitamin)

Tryptophan is the least common amino acid in food. It is also the most difficult to absorb into the brain. These make serotonin synthesis more difficult. Although tryptophan is mainly found in fish, meat, dairy products, eggs, nuts and wheat germ, eating these does not substantially increase serotonin. This is because these foods contain other amino acids that compete with tryptophan for absorption. Tryptophan “loses out” to the other amino acids.

Eating carbohydrates raises serotonin levels but eating protein decreases serotonin levels. Carbohydrates cause an insulin response that favors tryptophan absorption over other amino acids. This explains why many people who need more serotonin (like being overly-stressed or depressed) start to “self-medicate” by eating more sweets or starchy carbohydrates. As tryptophan absorption rises, so will serotonin production.

EFAs (essentail fatty acids) are also critical for brain function.

The levels and function of several neurotransmitters can be increased by the supply of their dietary precursors. The neurotransmitters include serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, histamine, acetylcholine and glycine, which are formed from tryptophan, tyrosine, histidine, choline and threonine (amino acids).

This is why alot of us are loading up on free form amino acids. Our broken bodies cannot product them in sufficient quantities.

hope this helps,

karen
  19. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I was getting my oil changed and the guy asked me my make and model of car and...I forgot.

I actually had to go outside and look at my car and read the name to remember.

They looked at me like I was nuts. :-(
  20. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

That sounds a lot like me. I've done that a lot. So I understand your frustrations.