does the form of magnesium make a difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 27, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Just wondering... I know it comes as magnesium aspartate, and as an oxide. Does it make a difference in how the body uses it?

Thanks,
    Beth.
  2. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

My doctor told me to take Magnesium Malate. He said it's easier absorbed and won't upset your stomach. :)

Cheryll
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I haven't used magnesium glycinate, so I can't speak for that one, but magnesium citrate and magnesium malate are both effective. Since I don't tolerate fillers in most tablets and capsules I buy magnesium carbonate powder (about $4 for a large container) and mix it with orange juice to get magnesium citrate. It's very potent and you have to be careful to start with small doses or you'll get diarrhea.

Jan
  4. jennbug

jennbug New Member

hi !just reading the posts and find all of the messages. very interesting . Adding magnesium and coral calcium to the list of meds. and vits. has helped me quite a bit . Still looking for a good pain KILLER as my pain is not always the biggist issue any help is always welcome ...love jen. B.C. Canada
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2003]
  5. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

i have the prohealth brand and have been taking with my other suppliments. should i take them at different times will the mag. block the others. thanks karen
  6. springshower

springshower New Member

Beth,.......I take a combination of Magnesium oxide,& Magnesium gluconate 200 mg.,with 400 mg. of calcium....at bedtime to relieve restless leg syndrome & FM pain at night...it helps me,don't know if other people get relief with this combination....hope this info. helps you.....Springshower
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres what I take; Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate)

ZMA (zinc, magnesium asparate, vitamin B-6) this has stopped my 'all nighter's', I am sleeping 7-8 hours a night without waking, if I wake for a bathroom run, I go right back to sleep, wonderful, Godsend for me! It also stopped my spasms and the RLS, which I did not know it would do!

Natural Calm by Natural Vitality (Magnesium Citrate), this on I take a level teaspoon full a day in hot water, it is a powdered form. It can cause diarrhea if you take too much of this.

I believe that variety is the 'spice of life' so I am getting my magnesium in three different forms!

The Pro Energy and the ZMA is sold here at Pro Health, just go to the 'Store' link and you can read more about it, order it or order a catalog.

The Natural Calm by Natural Vitality I get online or from some healthfood stores.

If you take calcium, be sure you space the magnesium at least three hours inbetween the magnesium and the calcium.

I do not take a calcium supplement as I am big on dairy products and do not need additional calcium.

HOpe this helps.................

Shalom, Shirl
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

still confused, but thank you all for the input.

Beth.
  9. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Years ago I heard all women should take magnesium and started taking whatever I found at my grocery store. I know it helped my engery level. Now I have seen a Nutritional doctor who gave me Magnesium Glycinate (Metagenics). I also have read and know my other doctor who treats FM says to take magnesium and malic acid. As soon as my Mag Glycinate runs out I am going to get one with malic acid. One of my mottos: Listen to everyone, read what you can find, then do what you feel is right for you.
  10. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I am taking magnesium glyconate with mag. stearate and mag. oxide added, as well as dextrose and cellulose. I know I'm not supposed t have dextrose on the sugarless Hg diet, but this is the only glyconate one I have found (Dollar General).

I also take the Natural Calm (mag. citrate), but like Mikie says, not too much. I haven't been able to find ZMA anywhere but there's a zinc, mag, calcium at $-Gen.

I've been wondering if I should be taking calcium since on this diet I can't have dairy (major bummer!). Besides, a health food person told me that an enzyme in milk prevents the calcium from working properly.

JoAnn
  11. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I would also like to know the difference in the forms of magnesium. It is interesting to see the many answers with what you take and the many kinds of mag. I would especially like to know what the difference is in Mag. Glycinate and Mag.Aspartate. Is one better for one thing and the other for something else?

Thanks!

Harmony
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2003]
  12. chocolatejewel

chocolatejewel New Member

There are many different salts (forms) of magnesium. Some of them are magnesium lactate, magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium gluconate, etc. Some salts are short-acting, some are intermediate-acting, some are long-acting. Some are more prone to cause diarrhea than others. When you take magnesium, you need to also take calcium (twice as much calcium as magnesium up to a maximum of 2000 mg/day.)
    A very useful website is www.headachepainfree.com (people with migraine headaches also have a magnesium deficiency). I take Mag Tab SR (magnesium lactate) which I order in bulk through this site. Mag Tab SR is long-acting which prevents peaks and troughs in the blood level. By the way, most blood tests, even rbc Mg, are not an accurate reflection of intracellular Mg. They may appear normal even though you have an intracellular magnesium deficiency. Mg deficiency is very common in FMS.
  13. Therrell

Therrell New Member

Just a little help about the magnesium. The last doctor that I had said to take magnesium and malic acid. You can get the combo at most health food stores. Until you get the malic acid, the most concetrated form of Malic Acid (Naturally) that we can take is in apples!!!!!!!

Hope that helps
  14. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

The form of magnesium does make a difference as they are processed and metabolised differently in the body. Many of the forms above mentioned are good, myself i use magnesium chelate as this is absorbed very well into the body. Magnesium carbonate, sulphate (epsom salts), and oxide are all poorly absorbed by the body and mostly just give dihorea without that much muscle/nerve relaxing effects, whereas mag chelate, glycinate, orotate & aspartate have a much higher absorption percentage into the body, blood and cells, relaxing muscles and nerves etc. I find if i run out, i get more palpitations, fatigue, etc, so i try to keep it up!

Hope this helps. Chris :)
  15. Craftyladymj

Craftyladymj New Member

There is a high absorbtion Magnesium at www.nutritionalsolutionsinc.com that will not give you diarea. Marilyn
  16. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

but generally speaking everyone here seems to find some benefit from magnesium supplements. I am seeing my doc today. Magnesium is on my list of things to discuss. I'll let you know if I learn anything that may be helplful to us.

Thanks for sharing!