Does the heat bother anyone else as bad?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by theycallmeLois, Jul 2, 2007.

1. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

Everytime the weather gets over like 73 I swell up (not really but you guys know what I mean), Can't walk, feel like I got hit by the flu truck at full force. And the weather is only going to get hotter. *cries* I am going to be hurting so bad this week. We are going to get 90's. I hate the heat.

I know the heat is supposed be better for us FMers, But gee I am compeletly oppisite than whats supposed to be good or bad for us.
    When I am on my period, I am great no pain. every other time I hurt like heck.
  2. cshellz

cshellz New Member

Hi Lois....
    I've had a problem with heat for the last several years--and its getting worse each year. Went on vacation last yr (california to oregon driving) It was this weird hot spell in Calif.--the travel made me feel soooo awful we came home early! Oregon was nice (coastal cool!) but coming back it was almost 90' AT NITE!!!
    God Bless the person who invented airconditioning---I will have to do without whatever in order to keep it going this year--and gladly for the relief! If the house gets much above 78--I feel terrible. Course the fact I've started having hot flashes on a regular basis doesnt help either!!

FYI--was told that the heat bothers MS patients awfully but supposedly not FM. Don't know why the difference.....
    Where do you live? Is there any assistance to help pay for A/C for you? Good luck and cool breezy hugs...
  3. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

Funny you should say Oregon, thats where I live.
  4. Doober

Doober New Member

For the past few years I have not been enjoying the summers like I used too. The heat just draws all the energy from my body. No matter how much water I drink to keep myself hydrated. The sunlight is just so bright and takes me awhile to adjust when step outside in direct unlight. I work in Downtown Boston, so having the buildings around for shaing from the sun helps.
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

I live in south florida and its HORRIBLE! I can barely walk to the mailbox without feeling faint from the heat. I have the AC on AND a fan next to my bed. I was born and raised here so you would think I would be use to it. NOPE...this dd has made me extra sensitive to the heat.

Hope you find a way to stay cool....

jmq
  6. nev

nev New Member

it kills me! Im in st louis, humid most of the time. Want to move north with no lakes/rivers. Husband wants to move to the gulf. I scoff, he will never understand.

I'm right there with you babe.
    nev
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Now that we have some in the Pac Northwest, I feel like a "normal". I can do anything without pain. My problem though with the heat is though I don't have pain, the fatigue part does bother me more. This stuff will catch ya' coming or going. P
  8. MoreBoo

MoreBoo New Member

I live in San Diego (Inland, which is about 10 to 20 degrees warmer than reported on the news). I was born and raised here so you think I'd be used to it. I've always been heat/sun sensitive,but I've noticed that since developing fibro I absolutley cannot tolerate anything over 80 degrees. The sun is too bright and the air too hot. If I do go outside I feel sick to my stomach very quickly and feel like I'm going to faint. It makes me feel like such a wimp. I never used to turn on the A/C, but now I start using it in June.

The funny part is that I also cannot tolerate the cold either. Great.....
  9. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member

Yes, the heat bothers me now and it never used to. As soon as I became sick I became very heat intolerant, but.. the good news is that it has become better in the last two years.
  10. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

One of the reason my neuro suspects MS is because of this issue i have w/ heat and humidity. I also get inappropriately hot from time to time w/out heat.

Heat does 2 things to me....
    #1 it drains/sucks all the energy out of me. It feels nice for a few minutes...then after too long i get weak.
    #2 it makes me slightly loopy (if that makes any sense). I wanna say slightly disoriented.

I like warm weather...it just doesnt like me. :) Cold weather literally hates my bones though.

Oh, and even before becoming really sick...i would always swell up (especially in the face and hands) either during cardio exercise or in heat. I dont really sweat...maybe thats why.

:)
    Mon
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2007]
  11. Doober

Doober New Member

From late september to near the end of november is my favorite here in new england. Winter my second favorite. The reason is I can layer my cloths to get the right warmth that I want. The Summer especially those "dog days" of hot and muggys. Forget it, you can only take so much clothes off before getting arrested.
  12. Juloo

Juloo Member

Hate it, hate it, hate it!

It just wrings me out, and I feel terrible, dripping with sweat, and completely miserable. I live in Florida, so the AC goes probably a minimum of 7 to 8 months a year. I keep it set at 70, but my husband turns it up to 74, and I am miserable again.

I hate to even mention going outside. For years I have looked forward to our annual New England trip, but a couple trips lately got us there right as freak hot temps hit -- up into the upper 80s and low 90s. I love 50-ish weather if it is misty and breezy, even if it is overcast. But ANYWHERE without AC in those temps just kill me. The two years ago, I got so worked up cleaning the house before we left for home that I practically had heat stroke, even so, it took me about a month to recover enough to be 'normal' (CFS normal).
  13. tlsanders

tlsanders New Member

People never understood what I mean when I say I can't tolerate the heat. I never understood it myself (even too hot buildings in the winter) I just figured my thermometer was set too high. Low- to mid-70's with sunshine and a breeze is my paradise - does it exist anywhere? My dream is to live in an RV with a driver)and check weather.com and head to the 70's, wherever that may be.
  14. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

The heat make me feel AWFUL!!!! So what did I do? I moved to the desert.. Idiotic I know.. Had to go in for trigger point injections today and the bank thermometer read 112 degrees.. Thank goodness for A/C!!!! I'm a ME/CFS and possible FM sufferer.
  15. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

I live in PHX,
    and the hot weather drains me, makes me extremely weak, and I pour sweat.
    I feel flu like symptoms as well.
    I use to love summers prior to this DD, now I cant bear 5 minutes of heat.
    blessings,
    Iggy
  16. mesquitebean

mesquitebean New Member

I'm bothered by the heat and humidity. I swell more than usual and get stiff and sore.

Has anyone noticed changes in pain levels and increased swelling with weather changes? I live in Texas and we've been having thunderstorms. I felt pretty good over the weekend with sunshine, but thunderstorms rolled in yesterday morning and I've been miserable ever since. Lots of pain in hands and shoulders. I stay swollen all the time, but my hands are so swollen I'm unable to open them all the way or to make a fist.
  17. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Maybe I'm suffering from that thing...You know when you are pregnant. You start seeing lots of other pregnant ladies? It's like you are surrounded by other pregnant women.

I'm being treated for two tick born diseases right now, Lyme (Bb) Borrelia burgdorferi and Babesiosis (Babs). Both infections cause similiar symptoms (see below). Excessive sweating and fevers are the main Babs symptoms.

I was always much worse in the summer than the winter. All bloated, hot, sweaty, with night sweats in spite of hormone replacement therapy. Every time I went in the pool or hot tub or took a shower I had excessive sweating for hours. After I took a bath I'd have to change clothes 3-4 times.

Once I got on long term antibiotics my adversion to summer and hot weather disappeared. My TMJ improved, my chronic chest pain, shortness of breath, IBS, GERD and asthma disappeared. I'm working on getting rid of the sweats now by treating the babs.

Short list of symptoms from:
    http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/symptoms/tbi-symptoms.html

Borrelia
    (Borreliosis, neuroborreliosis; also known as Lyme Disease)
    Spread primarily though the bite of infected ticks that live on a wide range of mammalian species; secondary human-to-human transmission through semen, breast milk, and possibly in utero

Bladder dysfunction
    Burning or stabbing sensations
    Cardiac impairment
    Change in bowel function
    Chest pain
    Confusion
    Depression
    Difficulty thinking
    Difficulty with concentration and reading
    Difficulty with speech, writing
    Difficulty finding words; name blocking
    Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
    Disturbed sleep: too much, too little, fractionated, early awakening
    Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
    Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol
    Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
    Facial paralysis (Bell's palsy)
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
    Forgetfulness
    Headache
    Heart block
    Heart murmur
    Heart palpitations
    Heart valve prolapse
    Increased motion sickness
    Irritability
    Irritable bladder
    Joint pain or swelling
    Lightheadedness
    Mood swings
    Muscle pain or cramps
    Neck creaks & cracks
    Neck stiffness, pain
    Numbness
    Pelvic pain
    Poor attention
    Poor balance
    Poor short-term memory
    Problem absorbing new information
    Pulse skips
    Rib soreness
    Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
    Shooting pains
    Shortness of breath; cough
    Skin hypersensitivity
    Sore throat
    Stiffness of the joints or back
    Swollen glands
    Testicular pain
    Tingling
    Tremor
    Twitching of the face or other muscles
    Unavoidable need to sit or lay down
    Unexplained breast pain
    Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills or flushing
    Unexplained hair loss
    Unexplained menstrual irregularity'
    Unexplained milk production
    Unexplained weight loss or gain
    Upset Stomach or abdominal pain
    Vertigo
    Wooziness

Babesia
    (Babesiosis)
    Babesia is a protozoan spread by ticks, blood transfusion, and in utero. Despite there being 13 known forms to date, current testing only looks for two of them.

Air hunger
    Cough
    Fatigue
    Fevers
    Headache
    Hemolysis
    Imbalance without true vertigo
    Mild encephalopathy
    Shaking chills
    Sweats

Maybe it's my Lyme & Babs addled brain but does anyone else see any similarities to CFIDS & FM? Given the poor state of testing for tick born infections we'll just continue to be misdiagnosed with any of the following and more!

http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com/

Please consider seeing a LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) to rule in/out Lyme Disease: Juvenile Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Reactive Arthritis, Infectious Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis, GERD, Acid Reflux, Fifth Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, scleroderma, Lupus, early ALS, early Alzheimer's Disease, Chron's Disease, Ménières syndrome, Reynaud's Syndrome, Sjogren's Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, Prostatitis, Psychiatric disorders (bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc.), Encephalitis,Sleep disorders, Thyroid disease and various other illnesses. Any multi-symptom, multi-system issues, Lyme must be considered.

18. Juloo

Juloo Member

Although my heat problems have gotten worse in the last five or so years, I've had difficulties with the heat since I was a kid. I tested (almost CDC) positive for Lyme and was on antibiotics for over a year. Unfortunately, the heat situation has not changed. I've asked for help from all kinds of practitioners, but no one's been able to solve the problem yet.
  19. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

I'd kill for it to be "only" in the 90s. It's supposed to be 117 tomorrow and Thursday. Anything over 80 is too hot for me. I hate Arizona with every fiber of my being. I feel SO much sicker in the heat. I much prefer cold. Heat adds to the severe exhaustion and dizziness, which I certainly don't need!
  20. CTuit

CTuit New Member

Heat seems to bother me more and more every year. And Nev, don't move north unless you move west! Wisconsin, Minnesota and all those are full of lakes and it gets too darn cold! I'm in northen Illinois myself but just drove through St Louis today.