Does the telephone bother anyone besides me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat1957, Oct 17, 2006.

1. kat1957

kat1957 New Member

I was thinking I had seen posts on this in the past but wasn't sure how to find them. Anyway, I have become almost telephone phobic. I hate to talk on the phone as it makes me jittery and nervous. Sometimes it is much worse than others. Just the phone ringing drives me crazy at times too!

Some people don't understand how I feel. Mostly my daughter doesn't. I have tried telling her over & over but she takes offense to it or gets her feelings hurt. She says she tries to understand but I know she does not.

I wanted to see if others are bothered this way. I know our dx makes us super sensitive to so many things and I figure this is just another one for me.

Thanks,
    Kat
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

since I've started using this PC, I keep in touch w/ my family by it. I don't answer my phone unles it's Mom or Dad, even then I hate it. My Mom can talk hours.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I never answer the phone now. If it's important, people can leave a message.

Sometimes I can talk on the phone for a long time, but it does take energy.

Then again, sometimes talking to anyone takes energy.
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think it's a sensory overload thing, and I have to try harder to hear and understand when I don't have the person in front of me. It's draining, and if my energy level is low my voice sounds bad too, and it's hard to "pretend to be perky" so people won't aks any questions I don't feel like answering.

I started hating phones after doing desk jobs! Go figure. I always have the machine on, and only pick up if it is someone in perticular.

The only one I can "stand" right now is my mom,,,LOL! We're best buddies!
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Often I don't answer them. My hubby goes crazy when I let the phone ring and I don't answer it. It's like he's trained to the phone, have to answer it no matter what!

It's usually someone trying to sell something or a political party asking for money.

When I do answer it, and it's someone trying to get money or sell me something, I tell them they just woke me up or I'm on disability, and they quickly apologize and hang up.

I am hearing impaired, and if I have my hearing aids in, I get loud squeaking feedback in the earpiece, and if I take out my hearing aid, I can't hear what they're saying! It's usually someone with a heavy foreign accent, so often I just hang up.

I'm the same way with the doorbell. It's like, who in the world is here to bother me now? It's usually the Jehova's Wittnesses to tell me how to live my life anyway.

Phooey on Phones!! Don't even get me started on cell phones and driving!!!!
    LOL
    Mini

6. srollins

srollins New Member

i hate talking on the phone. i seldom answer it unless it is my dad my son or my daughter.
    it is a bigger waste of time in imho then the pc is and i can waste some time on the pc. however the pc is easier to turn off.lol
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I think the phone and the door are the two worst for me. I don't answer the phone unless it is my grandparents, my kids or my husband. I hate that thing. I kringe (can't spell)every time it rings. Luckly I have caller ID...lol....And for the door. I do not like it when people show up uninvited (which I never invite) but even if the kids friends stop by, I just stop breathing till I know its NOT for me. I know this is not normal but I can't help it. Its just the way I feel....~Hugs~ Mick!!
  8. swiss

swiss New Member

Before I was sick I could talk on the phone for hours but now I hate it. I wonder why??

Please dont call,
    Michele
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

cell phone rings bother me.

and loud tv's

crowds of talking people

I guess anything loud does bother me.
  10. gurlinottawa

gurlinottawa New Member

Yes, i strongly dislikes talking on the phone. I am hyper sensitive to many things, sounds lights especially. Dont know what it is about the phone, gives me a headache. Drives my son nuts to, cause the phone will be right beside me, and i wont answer it.

I know for me it also has to do with the fact that a phone call makes you have to deal sometimes with other peoples agendas and its enough to deal with my own, in my immediate environment. I dont like the unexpected to much. What I can manage must be controlled during my day. It has taken me some time to get people, like family and friends to understand its not personal, i do this to all phone calls equally, no i dont have call display and am screening. I can only manage what i can whether they understand or not.

I had to work this out with my boyfriend to. Thankfully he understands.

If one answered the phone all the time, you would never have time to just recharge. We have to do what we have to do, whether weird in other peoples eyes, or misunderstood (the problem with inner medical conditions that people cant see on the outside, to others, we can look fine, or like were just complainers or soemthing) but its real... its like, :love ya, but cant do it... and I am honest with people, i just say, im sorry i cant talk now.. for whatever the reason at that moment, if they do get me on the phone, and this helps them to understand.

peace in your day Kat.
  11. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I really really really don't like phones.

If I'm home by myself and the phone rings I nearly have a heart attack, coz I usually keep the house fairly quiet.

I also don't like talking on them. They make me nervous. I also feel like I HAVE to talk when I'm on them. Like, if yuo're talking to someone online and there's silence, go surf the web! If there's silence on the phone..."So...uh..."
    Yeah. I don't like that much.

Cell phones I don't mind as much, but maybe because you can have music ringtones and they aren't as shrill sounding as home phones. I don't like talking on them any more than regular phones tho.

I thought I was just weird, so I'm glad other people feel the same way about phones. [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2006]
  12. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

The ringing almost always startles me.My DH won't answer it because he got used to it always being for me before my illness.I rarely answer unless a name I know comes up and even then I might not answer.My front door has windows you can peer into and I actually hide so I don't have to be bothered unless hubby answers and calls to me.I could kill him when he does that lol.I never used to be this way and I feel really bad I don't call my kids and grandkids like I used to.I have to plan it out and even then another week could go by.Has anyone been brave enough to consult their Dr. about this? I just am so ashamde of myself but my Dr. would have me comitted if I told him.
  13. srollins

srollins New Member

hate bright lights, especially the evening sun coming through the windows and when driving. this just sends me around the looney bin.

i agree about the phone thing though, the obligation of keeping a conversation going.
    nuts but it is what it is.!
  14. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I talked to my doc about this and she told me that it is a sign of the depression that we all go thru with this DD. She put me on Cymbalta shortly after...LOL....But, I don't see that it helps a bit with this problem. Still there just as bad a s before. I think it is just the whole "what if" for us....What if they need something...OMG...what if they just want to ramble on...OMG...what if they want to come over...OMG....etc.etc...You know...LOL....Just my theory...~hugs~Mick!!
  15. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It takes my energy but I also have hurt people's feelings by not being able to talk. On occassion I feel like talking but I want to initiate the phone call.

Your daughter sounds identical to my mine. Of all people, I give her priority with phone calls because it hurts her feelings. She does not understand.

When I first crashed I could not talk to anyone...now it just depends on the day but I rarely make phone calls.

I do understand.
  16. kat1957

kat1957 New Member

I had no idea so many people felt the same way! I am sorry you all do but also glad to know I am not the only one. And I know all of you know what I mean by that. :)

I used to love to talk on the phone. Could spend hours on it even. That is what my daughter remembers from when she was home. Just in the past few years has the phone become such a problem for me. I think for me it is a sensory overload thing as well as what someone else said about being afraid someone wants something or just feeling forced to make conversation longer than I am able. I literally picture throwing the phone through the house sometimes when I am on it or it is ringing. I rage at it's ringing if several people call during a period of time. It agitates me that badly! And I think having my daughter make me feel so lousy about not wanting to talk has just made a bad situation even worse. She is the only one who really says anything. Even my best friend (bless her!) understands when she might call me 3-4 times and I don't answer or call back.

I have a Dr. appt. next Friday (27th) so maybe I will ask him about it then, IF I remember.

Thanks everyone!
    Kat

17. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

I never thought I would hate the phone ringing. I never thought I would not want to answer the door. Things have changed.

My answering machine says :thankyou for calling (number) i am not able to come to the phone at the moment so please leave your name and number after the beep and I will call you back as soon as I can: then I vet the caller and either pick up, or ring them when I am feeling up to it.

Unchain yourself from the phone - it is supposed to work for you, not the other way around.

Just kidding.

xxx

Kaz

18. cycling

cycling New Member

I answer phones at work. Towards the end of the day I have to gear up to answer with some enthusiasm or caring.

When I get home after work you'd think it was a death sentence call, coming in. My first response is to freeze...... Then panic...... Then I decide if I have enough energy to answer the darn thing.

It's usually my daughter or husband and I just can't concentrate if I anwser and it makes me feel so bad to be like that towards them. As you know, it sounds like I'm coming off as uncaring. If they ever quit calling I'd be more hurt. This is a tough thing.

I never knew that there would be anyone else like this.

However, I don't think of it as depression. It's getting late in the day and I am OUT of energy. I'm fine about the phone when I'm not tired.

Thanks for sharing, Cycling
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  19. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

That would be me too. I have always been this way and it has gotten worse. That may be becasue I have 3 boys. ;-)
  20. Suzan

Suzan New Member

There are times I do ok with the phone..and others that I don't handle it well at all . When I do talk a long while to a friend..it exhausts me and depending on how intense the conversation was..can take me the rest of the day to recover from! ( and we wonder why people think we are crazy...THIS IS WHY..LOL ;-) )
    Anyway...much to his chagrin, I often make my husband make phone calls...or answer them...I am just not always up to talking!