Does thinking make anyone tired?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RoseSky, Aug 11, 2003.

1. RoseSky

RoseSky New Member

Just curious because I actually was feeling farely well this weekend (comparitevily anyway) and now that I am back to work I am back to wishing for someone to just shoot me and put me out of my misery!! I started the new thyroid meds and vitamins last week and was feeling pretty excited over the weekend because it seemed like they were really going to help, but now that I am back at work I'm exhausted again. It is really kind of odd because I was doing way more physical stuff over the weekend (laundry, vacuuming, taking care of the kids) and was ok with it and now I've literally just been sitting at my desk all day. I was just wondering if anyone else has found mental activity more strenous than physical activity??
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

I can become just as fatigued from mental work as physical work. I also know that when I am more fatigued I find it more difficult to do mental work and I begin making errors.

Barbara
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Actually, mental exertion is almost more fatiguing than physical exertion. Well, I guess it depends on the exertion. I can wash dishes without feeling wiped out. Washing the car, on the other hand, is very exhausting (so I now do it only once a year).

If I'm reading educational or self-help stuff, my brain feels fried after only 10-20 minutes and I need to rest.

I say: physical exertion causes mental fatigue, mental exertion causes physical fatigue. Actually, either type of exertion causes both types of fatigue....
  4. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I have to write research papers all the time at work, and some days I just want to cry because I can't even construct a stupid sentence. Other days it just flows out. But it always tires me out big time.
  5. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

I can become so insanely exhausted from thinking. Seems like no matter what I do I'm tired and in pain from it! I just live for the good hours/days and try my best to deal with all the other crap on a minute to minute basis.
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Physical work can be less tiring to me in the end, than mental work, as my brain feels like it is being drained by mental work..and then, even TV is a challenge to attend to..whereas, I can, at times do physical work and feel a little better afterwards..if I don't push too much...

Plantscaper
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you ever talked on the phone with someone for an hour or more, then when you hang up all you want to do is hit the bed you are so exausted??? Its happened to me a whole lot.

It got so bad, that I made a rule, no one calls me for anythng unless its a dire emergency after 8pm!
    If I talk with anyone pass that time when I do go to bed, my mind is racing, and I can't relax to sleep, yet I am exausted.
    Since I quit the night calls, I am much more calm and can relax better at night.

As for studying, I try to quit before I get tired or stressed with it. I can go back and pick it up and am alright as long as I do not stay with it too long at a sitting.

What I found that does help that kind of stress/fatigue, is magnesium. Its a natural tranqualizer and keeps the body/mine calmed so we don't go off the deep end with stressful work, study etc.

The thing that will keep me calm, but I get a natural tiredness is gardening, its physical work, but mentally relaxing. Housework does the same thing for me, I am not stressed doing anything around the house, but I do have to be careful that I don't push beyond my strength these days.

The only thing I do get exausted from is the household bookkeeping, now that I do not want to do this anymore for reasons unknown to me.
    Strangly, I was a bookkeeper by trade at one time! I have made it as simple and uncomplicated as possible, but simply hate to do it now.
    I usually have to go take a nap when I am finished with it, thats how exausting it is to me.

Mental work exausts the physical body, worst than physical work as to my thinking.

Try taking magnesium at work, it may help.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Notonline

Notonline New Member

...I don't think it's the thought process that wears me out, as much as trying to concentrate on what I'm thinking about! Ugghh!

Take Care
    Danny
  9. patchwork

patchwork New Member

mental exhaustion is a killer,but Iv'e found something which helps a lot. I lie down and totally relax my body.I think about my feet and relax them first and then gradually work my way up my body. It takes practice... Then I try and clear my mind. I let my thoughts just flow thru without dwelling on them and try to get to the point of not thinking anything. At first you can only do it for a couple of seconds but even that makes a big differece to the way my brain feels!!
    Try it - you have to keep practicing tho... Sometimes even the thought of lying down and relaxing seems too much effort! Crazy isn't it??? Good luck - hope it helps!
    Patchworkxx