does this dd make you want CHOCOLAT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Apr 26, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Is it just me or does anyone else "see" chocolat everywhere they go? LOL

I just always seem to see it and crave it.......I was wondering how many of you crave CHOCOLAT.....maybe it is somthing in it that we crave and not actually just the sugar in it?

Thanks for your replies

Doxy
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

OF COURSE I LOVE Chocolate!

And yes, there may be something to your suspicion.

Chocolate contains Magnesium, of course, good for us.

Dark chocolate has Antioxidants, of course, that's good.

And, the carbohydrate helps shuttle Tryptophan into the brain, which is used to make Serotonin, which many of us are low on, so yes, there may be good reason why you want to gnaw the ears off that Easter Bunny.
  3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

LOL LOL LOL

Thanks for making justification for my CHOCOLAT cravings!

I just seem to ALWAYS want it....I can be FULL and even STUFFED from a meal and STILL have room for CHOCOLAT......I don't eat a lot of it because I know the sugar in it is bad for me.............but I have to admit it is one of my biggest weaknessess!

Just curious as to how many of us have this chocolat connection?

Thanks for the post!

Doxy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  4. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

"Oh" Wake you poor thing burning your mouth on chocolat chip cookies!

I hope your ok!;)

I know exactly what you mean about "smelling" chocolat on this board!

Kind of the same as looking at food and "you gain weight from looking at! LOL

Chocolat with SUGAR is the ONLY kind of chocolat that is good the kind that is bitter is for the DUMPSTER I can't stand that kind!

Thanks for joining in my chocolat party here.......

Doxy

p.s. I wonder if they have good chocolat in louisiana?
  5. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

what is a "king cake" ?

"oh and do they have one called a "queen cake" too?

Do either one of them have chocolat in them......if they don't then they can't be that good!

tee hee
    Doxy

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

that cake was described by you so well that I actually want a piece of that "INSTEAD" of chocolat!

I do love cakes too, in fact I love sweets of all kinds!

The thing I like the least is sour things, and bitter things..........like my husband and boys love those sour candies like sour patch candies.....but not me "NO" I love my chocolat( but remember it must be "sweet" chocolat not the bitter kind!

This is fun just talking about chocolat........ummmmmm good!

tee hee
    Doxy
  7. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I love it.... sometimes I go nuts from the cravings for it. LOL

I like other sweets too, but chocolate is my favorite.
  8. Engel

Engel New Member

I do not feel that I crave it any more than usual though. I crave it more with hormonal cycles.
  9. cct

cct Member

I just read a little article in a health & nutrition magazine that said there is some discussion about reclassifying choclate from a flavanol to a vitamin!

Actually, the article discussed reclassifying a component of cocoa.

Norman Hollenburg from Harvard Medical School and Brigham Hospital of Boston, suggests that a flavanol in cocoa, epicatechin, should be reclassified from a flavenol to a vitamin.

The article says that two new studies have found that epicatechin, may reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, stroke and heart failure.
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

There is a fine chocolate shop, where they make their own chocolates with real ingredients, two doors away from me!

It is the most amazing, melt in your mouth, OMG I didn't know anything could possibly taste this good, chocolate in the whole wide world.

Come to think of it, the last place I lived also had a chocolate shop a few doors away! But, they catered more to the tastes of children and, even though they made their own chocolate, it was just good. This is AMAZING!

And, I can get one or two at a time! More would make your head spin!

Strangely, when you can get really good chocolate you don't need to have much of it. It's like wine, once a week or so I get one (ok, two!) and I'm good.

I'm drooling!

Peace out,
    Rafiki

PS My response is totally OT since it does not mention ME. So, no, I do not crave chocolate more.

I have less appetite and crave all food much less... even chocolate.

[This Message was Edited on 04/27/2007]
  11. Ellieneiva

Ellieneiva New Member

I was going to post about the same thing, my strong cravings for chocolate!
    hum
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Apparently chocolate contain a good bit of a substance called phenylethylalanine.

This is manufactured in great quantities by the body when "in love," with withdrawal symptoms occuring during a breakup. Supposedly this is why people crave chocolate at this time.

Of course, regardless of romantic status, we all need some phenylethylalanine at all times to feel good. Some people make less than others. CFS patients don't seem to be very good at making things (such as hormones, coenzymes or other amino acids), and so it's not surprising that many would be short on this one as well.

A shortcut to helping your own body make phenylethylalanine is by taking the amino acid DLPA (dl-phenylalanine). This is a commonly available amino acid that helps pain as well as mood.

I take 2000 to 3000 mg per day.

This is not as much fun as eating chocolate, but it's less caloric and (perhaps more importantly) does not contain sugar. (Sugar decreases immune function, causes yeast growth and does a number of other things that are especially bad for CFS sufferers.)

Chocolate in itself does not seem like a bad food in itself, unless there's an allergy. Those who are desperate might want to get a good brand of unsweetened chocolate, which would supply chocolate's benefits without the sugar intake.

i'm not making the stuff about the "love" chemical up, by the way. It's pretty much accepted as proven fact.

Best, Lisa
  13. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I as well as others that are on the board that are on the Marshall Protocol, have posted that cravings for sweets and chocolates starts diminishing after several months on the MP.
    I am so glad those days are over. It can become very addicative especially if it has sugar in it.

I found in my early days wben I was trying to break the cravings, I took a suggestion from the book Sugar Busters and ate some Peanut Butter on a cracker and it really helps.

Otherwise I would eat something sweet and just want more a little later.
  14. hawkspirit

hawkspirit Member

Most of you probably won't like reading what I'm about to post here . . .

Chocolate is high in the amino acid arginine, which is known to stimulate the growth of herpes-family viruses -- which includes the infamous HHV6. That's one reason to avoid chocolate.

Another reason is that the cacao bean is fermented slightly during processing to enhance its flavor, so people with yeast / mold / fungus issues should avoid it as well.
  15. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hawkspirit....go sit in the corner!! Bad, bad...no, no!!

Hugs :)
    Deb
  16. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I worked with Ice cream for so long I hated sweets of all kinds. I never was a sweet craver.

Now with in the last few months I have craved sweets so much I can't stop thinking about sweets. EVERY TIME my daughter leaves the house I tell her to stop and get me a candy bar or a latta mocha coffee or donuts any thing and if she forgets I go nuts.

Don't understand this at all I lived 30 some years hating the smell of sweets and now I can't get enough.

Reading the post seems true about hormones or serotonin (msp)etc. I hated sweets. not even with the female thing did I crave chocolate.

maybe I need to ask my Dr. if it could be a signal my body is in need of something.

thanks for the post and answers from everyone.
    have a great day
    Brenda
  17. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Ive started buying the hershey dark chocolate big bars and keep them in the fridge. I break off a piece when Im craving it and it does seem to help my mood and I sometimes think the pain too.

Everyone must have caught on that Kroger has the big bars on sale alot and Im out now because the dark chocolate bars were all gone!!!

Suzette
  18. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I used to call M&M's my PMS pills. Now that I'm post menopausal, they're my "happy pills". Hubby has been well trained to keep them on hand at all times. LOL!
    Mini