Does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jennypee, Oct 18, 2005.

1. jennypee

jennypee New Member

My body does this weird thing with many meds. Medication becomes ineffective very quickly, I think much faster than in a normal person.

Example: a couple years ago at the dentist he tried a different anesthetic so as to not interact with a med I was on. He would inject it into my gum and it would work for a minute, and then it would be like he was working on me with no anesthetic at all. The dentist couldn't figure out what was going on-- he kept giving me shots, over and over, and my body just adapted within a minute or two. He finally got frustrated, said there was no possible way that I was just tolerating this much drug, and told me to come back when I was off the med.

Another example would be the Vicodin I take. You're supposed to take it every 4-6 hours. However, it only controls my pain for about an hour and a half. This happened from the first time I took it-- my body hasn't just slowly become tolerant.

Most meds, if they have any effect on me at all, will only have an effect the first couple times I take them, if that.

I don't have a super fast metabolism. As far as I can tell.
    The strangest part is that I'm super sensitive to some stuff. I have to take far less than the reccomended dose.

Sorry this is so long! I'm just wondering if anyone else has this happen to them, or if it's yet another quirk in my system.
  2. MrsRedBear

MrsRedBear New Member

Hi Jenny, I am super hyper-sensitive to drugs. If it has a .0001 percent of a rare reaction, I have that too. I usually have to take the dose for a small child. And, as you say, some drugs are like playing patty cake with my pain, a real joke, but it works for others. What a crazy disease.
    Sorry this happens to you, to us.
    MrsRedBear
  3. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Yes Jenny, this has happened to me on several occasions with several different meds. My doc kept trying neew ones on me. I do have a high metabolism, that much we do know, other than that, unfortunately I can't help you.

My doc is doing her best to try to figure out what is causing my body to react this way to meds, and to find some that willl actually work in the long term.

((((HUGS))))
    Skye
  4. larry11

larry11 New Member

well yes I sort fo have the same problem the hardest thing for me is finding something that works. Percocet worked great for about 6 days, now 6 days later my pain in manageable, how long before i have to go get something else? Vicadin and Fentenly patch make me so dizzy and sick feeling, the DD is a bummer!

Larry
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have to take larger doses and my body develops a tolerance for meds quickly. What works one day may not work the next. It's a real drag, isn't it?

(-:
    Sue
  6. KelB

KelB New Member

Local anaesthetic certainly doesn't work properly on me.

I had a breast lump biopsied a couple of years ago. I had two shots of local and could still feel everything. The doctor said anyone else would have been numb from shoulder to waist on the amount she'd given me!

I also once had to have a chunk of my thumb nail removed in the ER. They tried giving me a ring-block local, but that didn't work either. In they end, they just got an orderly in to hold my arm down and did it anyway.

Thankfully I've never had dental work that needed anaesthetic. I'm dreading the day....