Does this happen to anyone else...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof3dancers, Dec 4, 2002.

1. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I was just wondering if maybe it was just me .. or if someone else out there had this happenn to them as well..
    Sometimes.. when I am reading something aloud...the words come out wrong... and it is like I know that I am saying the word or phrase wrong.. but the words still come out wong.. and then I feel like a COMPLETE and total idiot..Or sometimes in normal conversation.. and this has been happening alot more these days.. I am trying to say something but I just cant get the words out .. TOTAL mental block.. Simple words too..andI end up giving a definition of the word that I am trying to say.. but cant remember.. and again end up feeling like I am an illiterate fool.. Maybe I am am not explaining it at all well.(it is afterall one of those fog filled days)... but any way . do any of you ever have things like this happen to you?
  2. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I was just wondering if maybe it was just me .. or if someone else out there had this happenn to them as well..
    Sometimes.. when I am reading something aloud...the words come out wrong... and it is like I know that I am saying the word or phrase wrong.. but the words still come out wong.. and then I feel like a COMPLETE and total idiot..Or sometimes in normal conversation.. and this has been happening alot more these days.. I am trying to say something but I just cant get the words out .. TOTAL mental block.. Simple words too..andI end up giving a definition of the word that I am trying to say.. but cant remember.. and again end up feeling like I am an illiterate fool.. Maybe I am am not explaining it at all well.(it is afterall one of those fog filled days)... but any way . do any of you ever have things like this happen to you?
  3. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

HAHAHAHA "old timers " HAHAHAHA
    But in regards to your question.. I too forget that I asked a question about 5 min or so asking.. It drives my 10 yr old CRAZY.. which honestly is the only good thing about it.. LOL...Anyway I was just wondering.. if it was just me and if I truly was "loosing i"t as my hasband likes to say.
    Thanks for making me laugh today though!!!
    Shannon
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

You aptly described it---and there was a thread on this not to long ago----many, including myself, have these cognitive problems. Words misplaced, miused, out of context, and an inability to even come up with the correct word, at all, are common. Repeatedly asking the same questions over again---is another one. Just keep your sense of humor about you---that is the only recourse I have found.
    Karen
  5. Kim

Kim New Member

and I can't spell as well as I used to. I'm a CPA and college professor and forgot how to spell asset when I was writing on the board.
  6. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

In normal conversation, especially when I'm tired, the word I'm about to say absolutely vanishes (whoosh!!!!) from the tip of my tongue and my brain and goes wherever it is things like this go. I'm making hand motions and going, "um, um, um". When asked to read in Bible Study, I cringe. I hate to mess up God's Word especially. I'm glad we can not only share our problems like this, but also laugh about them.

If you're going to "look back on this and laugh someday", you might as well do it now and get a head start on the rush.

Nancy S. (Jesuslover)
  7. FOREVERFREE

FOREVERFREE Member

I'm fairly new to this, but 25 yrs. into CFS and fibromyalgia, which yep, goes back before it ever had these dumb names.Besides not being able to find words, what happens to me also is that I go as far as thinking I said the right thing, because I thought the right thing, but usually what comes out of my mouth is something I either just looked at, or thought, a word replacement. Sometimes I catch my error, but often I don't. I do feel really dumb too. And forget trying to deal with numbers. They get mixed up too. Must be a transfer of the transmitter neurons or something weird. If you get a book by Dr.Richard Bruno, called The Polio Paradox, and see as he said, people with what we have (CFS or Fibro) usually have the reticular area of the brain damaged, identical on test and symptoms, as people who are now experiencing post polio syndrome. The idea that perhaps we we're non-paralytic polio mild cases, gone undiagnosed since it might appear as just a passing virus, is a possibility. He doesn't think the polio vaccine is implicated as to how this may have happened. Personally, after studying online and reading books, I think the contamination of the vaccines that have been given us, even knowingly, particularly the oral polio vaccines, it's quite possibly 'part' of the culprit. I am thankful I found a way to deal with the pain, and weakness, and get great energy, but not sure even Tahitian noni juice can change killed off neurons. But it has definalty changed my life! I can think better most of the time now. I do praise the Lord for finding it recently. I've'joked' for years about being "brain dead" or "flat lined", right? Well, we desparatly need to keep our sense of humor over this, especially if it's partly true! AND pray for a miracle! To me, already noni juice has been at least part of my miracle.
    The book is a real eye opener, and Dr.Bruno has material on Immune Support, if you do a search, or at google.com His book might be available at the library?

Abundant joy to you,
    Foreverfree

[This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Absolutely. I spend a lot of time almost trying to coax words to come out the right way. Another thing I'm noticing just in the past few months: kind of dyslexically reversing letters when I type, or the order of words in a sentence. The other day a truck was in my neighborhood with a sign that said "Hayes Home Delivery"---but I read it "Home Hayes Delivery", until I looked at it again. This is a new one for me. But trying to come up with a totally familiar word that just doesn't seem to come out---I've been having that one awhile. You are not alone!

Hugs,
    Pam
  9. kellym

kellym New Member

Isn't it so wonderful to know that there are others who understand what you are going through? I absolutely hate this fibro fog crap. I can't remember squat, can't read out loud without going REALLY slow, mix up the order of words & numbers & letters, and all that wonderful "make you feel stupid" stuff.
    KellyM
  10. Odieman

Odieman New Member

Hi momof3dancers - Happens to me more and more frequently! It's like an out of body experience - you KNOW it's wrong, but can't do anything about it coming out of your mouth! I also get the sensation of talking, but not being able to comprehend what I'm saying. People look at you like you're an idiot! It's the one symptom that worries me - I feel like I'm getting Alzheimer's or something.
  11. AnnG

AnnG New Member

How wonderful it is to read your threads and to realize I am not alone. The symptoms are exactly mine and I'm glad to know I am not alone. Often I start talking and then I just freeze and go into a trance-like state. Luckily, I have understanding friends who just wait until I "come to"! Anyway, thank you to all of you!
  12. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

You must go read some of the old threads. There must be 20 of them about this very thing. As a matter of fact 90% of us have brain fog, if not more.
  13. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Yes yes and yes. I know the word and I know how to say it but it comes out wrong. I use to work for a company that during meeting it never failed they wanted us to read out loud. I would count the number of people in the room and see where I would start to read so that I could read it over and over to hopefully make sure it comes out right.

It's very fustrating and people don't understand they just look at you like you are stupid. I try to tell people before I read out loud that word get jumbled up so bear with me, but yes it happens.

The best thing I found is to read it to yourself, a few times then hopefuly the brain fog has lifted a bit so the words will come out of the mouth....

YUO AER NOT ALNONE LOL
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

This happens to me alot and to make it not so bad, I'll make a couple of spitting noises, like I'm having trouble getting the words out. That way I don't look like a total idiot! I have this problem because my mouth gets ahead of my brain. Mine is due to dyslexia. Don't know if FM would cause it or not.

Marilyn :)