Does this happen to anyone who has a cold?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, May 23, 2006.

  1. damz68

    damz68 New Member

    I got a cold several days ago. It started with severe pain in thighs and calves. I then had four days of stuffy swimers sinus. I call it swimers sinus when I try to clear my nose and my sinuses burn as if I spent all day in the local pool. Anyway this cleared up yesterday and know I am coughing, peeing more, throat feels dry and sore and my mouth is watering like crazy. I actually feel sick to my stomach from swallowing so much saliva.

    Anyway just curious if anyone experiances this during a cold. Not even sure if it is a cold cause sometimes when it happens my chest will be broken out in a rash. It normally happens 4 times a year.

    Sorry, its the mouth watering thing that I am wanting to know about. Is there any way to stop it so I can get some sleep?
  2. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    With a cold,
    1. pain in thighs and calves, no
    2. Sinuses burn - no
    3. Coughing -yeah
    4. peeing more - no
    5. throat feels dry - sometimes, not usually
    6. mouth watering - no
    7. too much saliva swallowing - no
    8. rash on chest - no

    This does not sound like normal cold symptoms to me. Were you around any chemicals, like oven cleaner, or bleach or mildew remover, maybe mixed with ammonia, or yard chemicals.
  3. nice2meetu

    nice2meetu New Member

    It sounds like a chemical problem. Retrace your steps. Then call the Dr. to be on the safe side. Good luck!
  4. BlueSky555

    BlueSky555 New Member

    I can't answer any of your questions; and actually can't believe this and never think about it until someone has one or speaks of one but with ALL of the medical issues I have and have had, I have NOT had a cold since 1992. I can't believe this myself but it just hasn't happened. Not to mention, I'm the person that is having all of the thyroid problems, does that make sense???

    Anyway, I do remember the cold and remember sore throat, stopped up, and cough.

    Sounds as if you are having more symptoms than you should.

    Hope it gets better,

    BlueSky555
  5. damz68

    damz68 New Member

    Is a matter of fact I cleaned my bathroom with bleach yesterday before it happened. You got me worried, does this mean I have been poisoned? My burning has been much worse too. My face feels so hot like I am running a fever but it is 98.
  6. carebelle

    carebelle New Member

    I agree it sounds more like a chemical problem like I get when I use cleaning products.I also get that flu like feeling if I go into a craft store that sells baskets.I think it is the vanish they put on them to make them shine.
    I hope you feel better
  7. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    I am almost positive that the bleach you used is doing this. Especially if there were any other cleaning products used on the sponge, or drain cleaner, or toilet cleaner. Just mixing going through the drains, or septic cause a reaction. This should tell you how dangerous these chemicals are, you're body is working hard to get them out. Every toxic substance we ingest, breath, or touch must be detoxified.

    The detoxification routes are through the :

    Kidneys - removes uric acid and other toxins
    Bowels - toxins processed by the liver
    Lungs - expells carbonic acid which helps keep blood ph balanced
    Mucuous membranes - used as backup detox route
    Skin- used as backup detox route

    I think your skin and mucuous membranes are irritated and working hard to heal and they will in a few days. That has happened to me 3 or 4 times. The last time I did it, I happened to be at my Accupuncturist the next day, experiencing the exact same stuff as you, and he could even SMELL it coming from my skin and breath. I smelled like bleach and mildew cleaner. And I had a shower the day I cleaned the bathroom and the morning before I saw the Accupuncturist. He, by the way, is also a Physician in our Hospitals Emergency Room, so he was well qualified to recommend treatment, and did not.

    Don't worry, you will recover. I wouldn't try to suppress the secretions with any decongestants or skin creams. Let your body do its' work. It will know what to do. If you don't feel confortable with this, then get in to see your doctor.


    [This Message was Edited on 05/25/2006]
  8. KMD90603

    KMD90603 New Member

    It could be a cold, but if you are unsure, definitely get it checked out by your doctor. I have CFS, and whenever I get a cold, I get very sick. I really think that with CFS/FM, we get hit harder when we get sick. I always run a fever of up to 101 with a cold, and I am sick for days. Back in march I was sick with a viral throat infection and had a fever of between 101 and 103 for 5 days straight. I think for any normal person, the fever would have been gone after 48 to 72 hours at the most. But no, for me, the fever lasted for 5 days, and I became dehydrated. I was having heart palpitations so badly in class (yes, I still went to school). I called my doctor as soon as I got out, and he said either to go to the ER for IV fluids, or drink tons of gatorade. Well, I chose the gatorade, and I'm glad I did. It helped to rehydrate me. I think that viral infection sent me into the flare that I'm in now. I was okay for a couple weeks after that, but then began to relapse majorly. Now, I feel like I did when I had the virus, just with low-grade fevers instead of high fevers.

    Gentle hugs,
    Kim