Does this sound like a gallbladder problem?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I did a search on the board for "gallbladder" and got 333 hits! Does this mean there's a gallbladder-FMS connection, or are we all just falling apart? :)

I'm not sure my present symtoms are gallbladder-related, but it sounds like a good possibility to me, especially since I had a couple of gallbladder attacks 100 years ago, when I was in my twenties. My present problem started on Sunday, when I felt sick after eating breakfast. Nausea, some vomiting, slight dizziness, felt rotten all day. My blood sugar would go down and I'd be hungry, then feel sicker again each time I ate.

The next day a pain appeared, but not in the usual gallbladder spot. This is inside my ribs on the back, right side. The nausea came and went for several days and is pretty much gone now. But I'm burping a lot, and the pain, while not severe (it's dull and mild), shows up briefly every couple of minutes. Last night I was awakened a couple of times by a much sharper (but equally brief, thank heavens) pain just under my left bottom rib, in the front.

Burp....burp. Can someone give me a clue about this?

Thanks!

Suze
  2. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

It might be. I had my gallbladder out in '88. Not all the attacks were the intense pain, a lot of them included the nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and the weird in the ribcage pain. There were times when I could eat almost anything, and other times when as soon as I ate anything I would start vomiting. If I were you I'd go see my doc and let him decide. Hope all is well
    Love and blessins
    Mar
  3. Suze

Suze New Member

Re going to the doctor with this, it may come to that, but it's my last resort. My health insurance was switched to another company, which meant I had to drop the doctor I'd had for 15 years. He understood a lot of things about me, including my reluctance to be x-rayed (way too much x-ray in my past). I don't know a thing about the new one.

The other thing is that I believe in the body's ability to heal itself, at least some of the time, and I prefer a natural approach over the modern medical emphasis on pills and surgery. The gallbladder thing puzzles me, though. I never consume sugar, caffeine, fried foods, junk food, refined carbs, or bad fats. I didn't expect to be showing up with digestive problems.
  4. SjVa

SjVa New Member

When I would have gallbladder attacks it would mostly be in the bottom of the breast bone area for the milder ones, the bad ones felt like my whole stomach. I imagine it's different with everyone. When they diagnosed me they used ultrasound, they can use that for lots of different types of imaging so no xrays. Hope this helps.

SjVa
    Sandy J.
  5. shazz

shazz New Member

The first ones were dead center chest making me think I was having a heart attack, but the last ones which made childbirth seem easy were back, right side, and sort of between the ribs and shoulder blade.
    One dead giveaway is when you are in terrible pain, if your urine turns dark, or your skin or whites of your eyes yellow. Sometimes the body doesn't heal itself unfortunately and surgery is the only option. I opted to have mine removed after several trips to the ER in horrible pain. Three times in the last year before surgery. And this stuff ONLY happens in the middle of the night for some reason. LOL, at least for me.
    And you are right, sometimes you can eat whatever you want and no problem. But other times, WATCH OUT for greasy, fatty stuff, this is what causes the most problems.

6. lucky

lucky New Member

have you been checked for gallstones? These can cause nasty
    symptoms? I know that an attack will radiate the pain all the way to the back. My doctor told me yesterday that a scan shows that I have gallstones and the symptoms of an attack sound excactly as you describe your pain, especially the pain in the back.
    I might be wrong, but it is worthwhile getting it checked.
    Take care and hope you feel better, Lucky
  7. healing

healing New Member

Suze, they won't xray you -- they'll use a sonagram to see if you have gallstones...so don't let this concern keep you from getting diagnosed.

The pain and discomfort you describe sounds much like the gallbladder attacks I had last winter when my stones started acting up. Had my gallbladder out in Feb. - piece of cake.
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

The minute my gallstones start giving me problems, I am going to get my gallbladder out immediately as you have. So far, I have been lucky, hope it stays like this for some time.
    Kind regards, Lucky
  9. ranger

ranger New Member

I would guess and feel 99% correct that you are dealing with gallbladder stuff. I had similiar symptoms when I had it. It's not always a typical set of symptoms and your right back pain is referred pain from the gallbladder. Trust me, I have read about this. Call the doc and get this over with. If surgery is indicated, it will most likely be done with lazers, which is not as big a deal. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Ranger