Does this sound like a Kidney Infection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I haven't been feeling well these past few weeks and have had to go to the emergency room twice.

My first visit a couple weeks ago was because I was having bad chest pains but docs suspected it was caused by stress and they ended up finding a cyst in my left breast. I have to go get mammogram this week.

My last visit was because I started getting really achey especially in my joints to where I could hardly stand and lightheaded and my eyes seemed blurry. We were out of state at the time so the ER performed catscan, urinalysis and blood work. The nurse came back in and said test showed my kidneys weren't working the way they should but to eat a banana daily and decrease salt intake and drink lots of water and it should clear up. I was given Levaquin 500mg twice daily for the week and I seemed to feel better but now I am starting to feel lousy again.

I read the patient info and it said I had a bladder infection but I am still worried and don't know what's going on. My PCP is not the greatest and I am going to another one this week because I waited a whole week for her to call me back and she never did.

All replies appreciated.

Carolin
  2. California31

California31 New Member

Bladder infections do sometimes "back up" into kidneys...and you don't always feel pain. So keep on top of it....and maybe get back into the doctor.
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

it was awful!!! The first symptom I had was strange smelling urine. Then I had the urge to go even if I had just gone.

I still didnt get help and my back was killing me. So I called the dr for an antibiotic. That night, my temp was 102.2. Very high for me because I have a very low temp when well(96.4) I couldnt get warm and my teeth were chattering sooo bad I was afraid I would break some teeth.

It took 3 days of the antibiotic to start feeling better.

Dont let it go too long!

Suzette
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

when I was reading your post. Been in the same situation as you describe. That was several years ago ... I am currently down with a UTI :-( ... on antibiotics. I am soooooo tired of all of this stuff. Yeah you could have it backed up into your kidney. I hurt really bad in the kidney area everytime I get one of these suckers. I hope you feel better soon hun ((((( hugs )))))
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Sad, but you ask the nurse, "What do you mean 'kidneys not working so well?'". The next news just out today!

"The bladder is lined with small pouches that allow it to stretch as it fills. Researchers at Duke University reported in Sunday's online edition of Nature Medicine that some bacteria were able to hide in those pouches, escaping the antibiotics used to treat the infection.

In tests in mice, the extract forskolin can cause the pouches to kick out the bacteria, allowing antibiotics to kill them, said the lead researcher, microbiologist Soman N. Abraham. Forskolin is derived from the Indian coleus plant."

"If we combine this with antibiotics we would be in a very good position to eradicate urinary tract infection," he said in a telephone interview.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18011358/
  6. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

When the nurse came back in and said oh, you're kidneys aren't working the way they should it scared me and I asked her what that meant. She said eat a banana daily and decrease the salt. I was released right after that.

Who would have guessed that my whole body would ache in my joints and I would be so lightheaded. I haven't noticed any odor but my urine was dark when I went to the ER but no fever. I mean if this is a fibro flare at the same time I am scared out of my witts at the awful pain I have been in.

Another strange thing is a few days before I found out all of this my doc did a urinalysis and said I showed protein.

I don't deal to well with these type problems and I have been drinking cranberry juice too. I will be going to see doc tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for you help. It means alot.

(((((HUGS)))))

7. Engel

Engel New Member

chronic IC ... i had not had a bout in a while. It is similar to a UTI.
  8. Engel

Engel New Member

from a web search ...

Symptoms

Pressure in the lower pelvis
    Painful urination (dysuria)
    Frequent or urgent need to urinate
    Need to urinate at night (nocturia)
    Abnormal urine color (cloudy)
    Blood in the urine (hematuria)
    Foul or strong urine odor

Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:
    Pain during sexual intercourse
    Penis pain (rare)
    Flank pain
    Fatigue
    Fever
    Chills
    Nausea and vomiting
    Mental changes or confusion

I am on an anti-biotic and now I think I am getting a yeast infection ... oh great. Don't we have alllllll the fun?
  9. millinpain

millinpain New Member

i kept having uti's between sept and nov 06 and er finally sent me to urologist who discovered a 1.3cm left adrenal adenoma above my left kidney. had a cystoscopy and that helped relieve the bladder problems i kept having (burning, constant need to urinate) had heard that it can help and it did. definetly go see a urologist if you havent yet. as of april 10th, i still have blood in urine, and high protein in urine and all the same things i had when i went for cystoscopy dec 11th. but at least the painful urination went away and now im still dealing w/ a new doc who didnt listen when i said this blood thing has been going on for too long. i go back to urologist in june to make sure spot on kidney hasnt grown. invest in a urologist that people trust and good luck with bladder problems