Does this sound like fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gphafsar, Mar 14, 2015.

1. gphafsar

gphafsar Member

So the only fybromyalgia-like symptom I have is sharp, throbbing pains in my body. I used to have some on occasions when I was a kid. just teeny tiny ones that didn't worry me. lately I have been having them everywhere, I even had one on my ear-lobe area and that is why I am worried. I knew they weren't muscle pains because my muscles didn't tense up.I've have the pains in my foot where I sometimes get a camp and it felt nothing like the cramp. It was just pain, as if it were inside my foot, then in my earlobe area and I am now worried. I don't want to waste my doctors time so is this something I should go to him for or does everyone get this? My avtivity level lately has been SO low . I have gained a LOT of weight. maybe that's it?
    Belinda344 likes this.
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Hi @gphafsar

Do these symptoms of pain move round your body? (One day you feel pain in your ear, the next day it's your foot -etc?)
  3. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

I have 2 kinds of pain with fibro. With one, I have lots of places that feel bruised when touched, such as when I'm lying down and my cat walks on me. That one's a constant.

With the other, I have roving pains, as RadioFM referred to, which change location day to day, or sometimes in the same day. These aches feel like muscle spasms.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome which has a number of different symptoms.

1. Allodynia. This is pain felt on pressure, heat or cold application which should not be painful. The areas of the body in which pain is felt can vary from person to person, however there are some typical areas (tender points) the most common of which are:

at the bottom of the back of your skull on both sides.
    just below this either side of the neck,
    just under the shoulder blades
    just under the sides of each elbow
    middle of forearm at the side between muscle and bone
    base of the back ribs
    sides of the hips
    back of the knee
    top of the foot

Sometimes: wrists, fingers toes and temples

2. Neuropathy: Neuropathic pain in FM is usually felt as a dull aching pain spread across an area felt just below the skin and can be anywhere but usually face, forearm, chest. In some people all sensation is exaggerated, for example an itch can be unbearable or a small stinging pain can feel being stabbed with a needle, also a twitch can be felt as a throbbing pain.

3. Muscle cramps. These can be anywhere and not your usual leg cramps although they do occur more frequently in FM. Cramps can be continuous or tremor/rippling cramps. Some "cramps" can be very sharp pains.

Morning stiffness, this is the most present symptom of FM and may be due to the poor sleep but is also related to a number of problems in cortisol production. This stiffness may be mild, causing difficulty walking, standing, bending and crouching. When more severe it causes an inability to walk, imbalance, falling over. This can take many hours to reduce but usually does reduce by mid-day or early afternoon.

Unrefreshing sleep or multiple awakenings:

Chronic fatigue: often most noticeable when climbing stairs.

There are other symptoms but the above are the main defining symptoms.

Pain in one or two areas of the body is not fibromyalgia but fibromyalgia can sometimes start that way, later (a matter of several months) progressing to wide-spread pain.

What is your vitamin D level like? If you have gained a lot of weight lately your vitamin D level can plummet because it gets trapped in your body-fat. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with neuropathic pain.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"Lyme disease is the number one vector-borne epidemic in the world and mimics many common diseases and autoimmune illnesses. If you've been told that you suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, an autoimmune disease like MS, or are just "getting old,” it is possible that you suffer from the number one infectious cause of these symptoms."

"Another classic trait of Lyme disease is the migratory nature of the pain. The muscle and joint pain, as well as the tingling, numbness and burning sensations often tend to come and go and move around the body. For example, one day the joint pain might be in the knees. Three days later, it's in the shoulders, and two days later it's in the ankles."

"The same symptoms can happen with Lyme neuropathy, where the bacteria have affected the nerves, and the tingling, numbness and burning sensations migrate to different areas around the body."

2014-07-02 - Chronic Lyme disease: What you need to know, symptoms, prevention

See more below:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015