Does this sound like herxing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbella, Sep 14, 2005.

1. cbella

cbella New Member

I've been on Valtrex for 3 weeks without anything feeling different. Starting this past weekend, I was VERY tired, and the past 3 days (Mon-Wed) I can't seem to get enough sleep even though I've been going to bed early. I do work everyday, but I've been dragging this week. Now, today my nose just started running for no reason and then I started getting sharp pains in different areas on my legs. It would just come and go as fast as it came. I actually hope it is herxing so I can feel that taking this expensive drug is doing something. Any comments? Thanks, cbella
  2. orachel

orachel New Member

Thought I'd done a lot of research! What is this, please?

Thanks!
    Curious Rachel
  3. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi,

You symptoms sound more like an immune response. Although I don't know how Valtrex works and if one would expect an immune response. I'm taking Transfer Factors and have been taking them for about 7 weeks. I've been feeling very fluish and have a lot of neck and shoulder pain/discomfort.

In order to support the detoxing process I have a colonic monthly and have a coffee enema daily. I feel measurable better afterward. I know this isn't for everyone. I just mention is as a bit of evidence that your symptoms may be related to extra junk building up in response to the Valtrex treatment. You probably will feel much better once you do herx.

Hope this helps! Laurie

4. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Rachel,

Herxing refers to a detox response our bodies can have when a lot of infectous agents (yeast, bacteria, virus') are killed off at once. Often it's a result of antiviral, antibiotic or antifungal treatments.

It usually involves symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, sweating. The body is working to eliminate the dead organisms.

Herx is short for Jarish-Herxheimer reaction. A description of this reaction was first published in 1895 by Adolf Jarisch and then again in 1902 by Karl Herxheimer. (The Medical Desk Dictionary my mom sent me is really paying off! LOL)

Hope this helps. Laurie
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

I always just called it "detoxing"...had no idea there was a word. BTW...aside from treatments like FFC stuff, does anyone know of a good natural body detox/flush program????
  6. cbella

cbella New Member

thanks for your replies. I guess it sounds like cleaning your GI tract would be a good idea for ridding the body of junk while I'm on antivirals. Unfortunately, The doc put me on zantac so the valtrex wouldn't hurt my stomach and all that did was cause constipation (sorry). hmmmmmm! Tonight my new pain is shoulder and upper back -never had this before, it must be the medicine, I HOPE! Thank goodness for ultram or I wouldn't have been able to work today! God bless you all for your care and concerns and responses....... cb
  7. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Cbella,

My neck and shoulders, but especially my neck was sore and painful for about 3 weeks. Then I woke up Monday and it was completely better. And I'm feeling a lot better this week. I was thinking that it could be viral in my case. I also ended up with a cold sore. Which made me think that my immune system was just completey overloaded.

Good luck with the treatment. I'll be interested to see how you do!

Love, Laurie[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]