Does this sound like pre-menopause?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dorabella, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I am just wondering if I'm about to start pre-menopause.

I'm 43, have never had irregular periods in my life, and am now over 2 weeks late (definitely not pregnant and not under any undue stress at the moment). I'm having all the symptoms that I normally have - aching limbs, exacerbated costo, panicky feelings, feeling breathless and blown up, and my boobs have been sore for nearly 3 weeks now. Feels like it's going to start but doesn't.

I always have mini fibro flares the week before my period starts and this one has lasted 3 weeks to far. Feel like I;m about to explode and am extremely irritable and uncomfortable.

Have any of you experienced similar? If this is what the menopause is going to be like I don't think I'm going to be able to stand it!!!

2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Are you also having hot flashes and night sweats? I've been premenopausal for about a year now. I'm 45. I also have endometriosis so my symptoms might be different from somone else.

HOpe you start feeling better soon.

Linda
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dorabella:
    It is not unusual to start getting symptoms at 43. And the irregular periods are something to keep track of.
    When the hot flashes start you pretty much know that it is that time for menopause.
    I did not have FM/CFS when I went through menopause.
    And I am sorry you are struggling with these symptoms.
    Maybe if you bring it up to your doctor you can get a handle on it before it does on you.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I do perimenopause. Do you also get insomnia?

If you drink at all, it exacerbates the symptoms. Wanted to add get it checked in case it is fibroids or....

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  5. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I haven't had either insomnia or hot flashes (although when I got out of the London Underground this morning I was feeling panicky and hot). Probably more the effects of anxiety from feeling rotten in the underground.

What I was wondering particularly is whether, even if you start to miss periods, you will still suffer the normal symptoms of PMT (i.e. sore boobs, aching limbs, irritability) during menopause? What do all of you do to combat the physical discomfort? I should say at this point that I have no intention of taking HRT or the like!

Any advice gratefully welcomed.
  6. dorabella

dorabella New Member

7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Although I'm a man and don't have any credibility whatsoever, I'll chime in anyway. I've already been through all this with my wife for years...I met her when she was 43 and now she's 59 ...so I've been through the whole thing with her from beginning to end. From what you said in your posting, it looks like your low on progesterone. Get yourself from 2% progesterone cream from the pharmacy and see if it helps. If it doesn't alleviate all your symtoms then get your hormone levels checked by your OBGYN. You most likely won't need heavy duty progesterone and estrogen for a few years still.

Also, since you're still at the age where you're having a period you'll want to cycle the progesterone with your periods. It's the monthly sudden monthly drop of progesterone that starts your period, so you don't want to use it during that time.

8. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Thanks for a male opinion and a well informed one at that Spiritsky. I'll look into it.