Does Toothpaste burn your tongue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by dojomo, Dec 15, 2002.

1. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I keep trying different toothpastes and only use a skosh just to freshen my mouth......but I haven't found one that doesn't make my tongue feel like it's on fire.

Anyone else have a problem like this or a alternative other than baking soda.. (I gag on baking soda)........DJ
  2. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I keep trying different toothpastes and only use a skosh just to freshen my mouth......but I haven't found one that doesn't make my tongue feel like it's on fire.

Anyone else have a problem like this or a alternative other than baking soda.. (I gag on baking soda)........DJ
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I used a homeopathic lemon flavored toothpaste. I don't have the burning tongue problem but I can't imagine that this would burn. I used to get it at the local health food store. Also, Toms of Maine has a strawberry flavored toothpaste that probably would not burn. Amy
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm echoing the Tom's of Maine idea---it's much milder than regular toothpaste. I also love their floss (the only kind I'll use). All health food stores carry the Tom's line, plus some regular drugstores. Good luck!

Pam
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Toothpaste burns, as well as mouthwashes, mints, chewing gum---anything of that nature. I think it has to do with substance P elevation, or our pain sensors just being plain overly sensitive!
    Great to know there are alternatives, thanks!
    Karen
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

most commercial toothpastes, especially Crest, give me a burning sensation in my mouth. Crest will actually cause blisters to form. It's good to hear this from others, though, so I don't feel quite so weird...

I've used Desert Essence toothpastes for several years, settled on the fennel flavor. seems that mint toothpaste of any sort bothers me, although I can eat mint candies, drink mint tea, etc. When I go to the dentist for cleanings, they usually use bubble gum flavored stuff for the polishing. Sounds silly, I know.

Hope this helps!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Sometimes your taste buds get inflamed and that is what is causing your burning. Any toothpastes or mouthwashes with alchohol in them are irritating. Try looking for one without these. Cepacol is a good one or Toms toothpaste. Hope this helps. Terri
  8. dojomo

dojomo New Member

....for the tips... glad to see that Iam not alone...when I told my family tooth paste burns my tongue...they looked at me like I had 2 heads....... I'll try the Toms'..thanks again....DJ
  9. twjen

twjen New Member

I dont know what toothpaste burning your tongue would have to do with fms or cfs, or how that is a big deal. Sorry, but it seems that these dumb things down play the seriousness of our illness. Alot of people are sensitive to toothpastes, my children and I dont like toothpaste with baking soda, because it does sorta burn. I like Crest Dual Action though (fresh mint, blue and white mix)doesnt burn much. Happy brushing....