does topamax really turn to dopamax?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Aug 22, 2005.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I remember reading somewhere that they sometimes call topamax - dopamax because people become kind of .... ahhh...stupid ....when taking it.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so, at what dosage, and after how long taking it?

I've been taking 175 mg for a couple weeks now. I few months ago I took 50 mgs a day, and did that for about a year. I work with computers and do a lot of trouble shooting and worry about taking anything that might "mess me up"......
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I'd hate to see Day Lily Fan taking anything that might "mess her up".
  3. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

a couple years ago they had me on over 3500 of neuronton. (sp?) and I was driving to work one day, stopped at a light and didn't know where I was. Pulled into a gas station. Sat there bewildered. Looked over to the other seat, realized I had my lunchbox, then realized I had my work shirt on, with the logo on it, and it came to me that I must be on my way to work. That scared me. I went off that med after that. I often have to add a lot of fractions where I work, and had been having trouble with that too....

So far I've been ok with the occasional vicodin and the level of topamax and Ultram I'm on. Just wondered if over time it may affect me more.

Juli
  4. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I took it for a month. Even at 75 mg. I felt sleepy and mentally confused (oh, and itchy too). I believe it does make a lot of people feel stupid!
  5. dinodebi

dinodebi New Member

Topomax was a dream come true when i first started taking it june '03. Within a week my migrains were gone, i had energy, and i was loosing all the weight that the previous meds caused me to gain. However, after 9months, i started loosing my periphreal vision, and got real loopy. It got so bad that i couldn't stand driving, always afraid that something was going on that i couldn't understand. After some research, my doc said that it was a side-effect, just unusual for it to take so long to show up. I stopped it immediatly, then started a smaller dose about 6mnths later. At that time it didn't do anything to the headaches, but still had a difficult time driving. I just couldn't do it. So i'm off for good, and found Cymbalta works wonderfully.
  6. Sonoradora

Sonoradora New Member

I take (took) it at night so I could fall asleep! However, it IS possible to work through the sleepy feeling and then not have it dope you.