Does Trazadone Induce Deep Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Jan 7, 2010.

LISALOO New Member

Does Trazadone induce deep sleep, my dr recommended it, I get no stage 3 or 4 sleep.

Also, I know it's an antidepressent too, does it cause weight gain (if there's a chance, I gain it)

What other meds give you stage 3 or 4?

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I remember my doctor saying something about this a long time ago. However Trazadone is often used to help people sleep. I did find that I do better with a very low dose. I was on 100 mg. and now on 25.

Now I am wondering about this.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I took Trazadone for a couple years decades ago. Worked fine as an antidepressant.
    I never noticed it had any effect on sleep.

I have had insomnia for decades. Somebody posted that fish oil helps, so
    I'm going to try that.

4. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Why don't you try out Valdoxan? It an MT1- MT2 agonist. It enjoys an excellent reputation in Europe. It is said to induce deep sleep and decrease anxiety without any side effects. I am starting with 25mg today. I'll let you know if it works. If I can sleep from that, everyone else will be able to because I am am a born insomniac.

5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

my friend takes low dose trazadone...with ambien i think....and says it really helps her sleep.
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Trazodone can induce deep sleep but it can also give a very bad hangover effect (it is related to the tricyclic antidepressants I think) though this does wear off after about a week.

I have used it in the past and it helped but only for a few weeks.

I did not have any weight gain for it - I prefer Klonopin now though which gives me a very good deep sleep with no hangover effect and also reduces sensory overload and pain.

BTW I have read your posts - please don't give up - you never know when you may stabilise or have a spontaneous remission (even if not a full one) and also the XMRV test is hopefully just around the corner.

Bunchy x

7. canap

canap New Member

I have been using Trazadone for about a year and has helped my sleep alot. I used to only sleep a few hours per night with a couple of hour or so wake ups thruogh the night. Now I rarely have one of those nights. I started with 50 mg which helped some but changed to 100mg and that helped me sleep about 8 hrs with only wakeing up to turn over, unless my Bursitis in my hips is bad, I have no hangover in the morning at all. After takeing Effexor XR for 3 yrs I have had allergic reactions to Zoloft and Prozac which is a aweful side effect from Effexor I wasn't told about before I started it. I tried 150 of Trazadone for depression which gives me a major hangover so today I'm going to try Cymbalta. If I have a reaction to it I have to go to a different family of meds for depression whatever they are. Sorrry I got a bit off topic there. The icing on the cake of Trazadone is one of the side effects is appetite suppression. I have lost 15 pounds that I gained on Effexor. The Trazadone kicks in pretty quickly about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hours so you need to be done for the day and ready for bed when you take it. I hope this helps a little.
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Traz has been great for me, been taking it for several yrs and it is still working. Helps me stay in a more solid sleep all night. I take it 15-30 minutes before bedtime, it's not long before I'm sleeping.

It is an old AD, but I think if it's used as an AD that it's started at 300mg or so. The only side effect I've had w it is a stuffy nose that starts 30 min or so after I take it. I have adjusted my dose up and down a little according to how I'm feeling, and I know for sure if I miss a dose, I wake up several times and sleep much lighter.

I tried Ambien, Lunesta and a few others, but they just didn't work for me. Sometimes these old meds still come to our rescue! Good luck.

LISALOO New Member

Thanks for all your answers, I've been on Klonopin, but when talking to my rheumy I asked for something to improve my energy and she suggested trazodone, but it doesn't seem like that would be better than klonopin.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Trazodone is not usually used for depression. At a theraputic dose it causes excessive sleeping and people could not function. However, I do know someone with severe insomnia who takes 150 mg. and she still can not sleep.

Someone mentioned that Trazodone decreased their appetite. I have found that it increases mine about 10 minutes after I take it. It is almost like the munchies. I never had cravings like this. So I make sure I take it right before I go to bed so hopefully I will be asleep before the "munchies" hit.

Interesting how people can react differently to the same meds.

11. greatgran

greatgran Member

The rheumy gave me trazodone for sleep but at 1 a.m.I was still awake so took a xanax and finally got a few hrs. sleep but the next day I did have energy and felt better than usual, now not sure it this was the trazodone or not. So the next night I took the whole pill and at 5 a.m. wide awake.

It did nothing for my sleep but seem to give me energy and I would probably still be taking it but after the third night I did sleep about like usual but then I started becoming so dizzy , and I can't stand dizziness so stopped.

So it didn't work for me in fact have nothing that does.

Good Luck,
  12. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have taken it for numerous yrs. I sleep so well. Just take and go to bed, settle down, and next thing I know, I wake up for [potty breadk. Go right back to sleep and feel rested when I get up.

Good luck,