Does Yoga Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cmurry, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Cmurry

Cmurry New Member

I have been suffering with a severe case of fibro for eight years. In addition to constant pain and fatigue I experience nausea, dizziness ringing in my ears muscle twitching,migraines, rashes hair loss,memory funk, yada yada yada..Been to fifteen doctors, can't keep a job although I force myself to work even with excrutiating pain. I've been seeng a rhuemitologist for three + yaers and in desperation was convinced to take meds. One thing lead to another and before I knew it I was on pain meds, antidepressants, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants etc.. All to little avail.I also exercise regularly eat well and take green foods and vitamins which help somewhat.Six weeks ago my husband discovered Yoga.I've been doing it with a couple of different video tapes once or twice a day since then. I am amazed. After a short time I dropped the pain meds. I have been sleeping soundly without pills since the second week. I'm now in the process of weaning off of the antidepressant.I truely have not felt this well in years.I've tried everything known to man and have found some things to be of benefit but nothing real and lasting. Does anyone else have experience with yoga helping them? Will this last??
  2. Cmurry

Cmurry New Member

I have been suffering with a severe case of fibro for eight years. In addition to constant pain and fatigue I experience nausea, dizziness ringing in my ears muscle twitching,migraines, rashes hair loss,memory funk, yada yada yada..Been to fifteen doctors, can't keep a job although I force myself to work even with excrutiating pain. I've been seeng a rhuemitologist for three + yaers and in desperation was convinced to take meds. One thing lead to another and before I knew it I was on pain meds, antidepressants, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants etc.. All to little avail.I also exercise regularly eat well and take green foods and vitamins which help somewhat.Six weeks ago my husband discovered Yoga.I've been doing it with a couple of different video tapes once or twice a day since then. I am amazed. After a short time I dropped the pain meds. I have been sleeping soundly without pills since the second week. I'm now in the process of weaning off of the antidepressant.I truely have not felt this well in years.I've tried everything known to man and have found some things to be of benefit but nothing real and lasting. Does anyone else have experience with yoga helping them? Will this last??
  3. Ness

Ness New Member

I have been doing Yoga/Deep Aerobic Breathing for several months now and it has helped me alot....I am not as stiff and I sleep better...I have noticed that I have more energy and I have more Peace within....I still take pain meds..but I feel more alive and balanced. The little things just don't bother me as much anymore....

I have lost inches and pounds too..that always makes you feel better. I have also had people tell me I look great!!!!

It only takes 15 minutes 1-2x day...this makes it easy to stick with.

Peace and Smiles
    Ness
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

I just want to tell you to be very careful. I LOVED doing yoga and had been doing it for a while when I got very careless one day and, while going into shoulder stand, gave myself two spinal compression fractures. That was in March and I've done everything short of surgery and now live with constant back pain and yoga is a thing of the past for me. I'm thinking about trying it again. Keep it up, just be very careful. I wish someone had told me to be careful. Take good care and enjoy the benefits. It was wonderful.
    Regards,
    Paula
  5. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

HI CMURRY:
    I am a strong advocate of yoga - not the strenuous type, but the gentle stretching type of yoga that lubricates your joints and keeps you flexible.
    I'm so glad you are feeling better with the yoga. Yoga is the ONLY thing that helps me with my fibro, but I find I have to do it regularly or I have to start at square one again!!!! I am able to move, turn my head, and sit with much less pain when I do yoga.
    I feel the benefits will last as long as you do yoga. My yoga instructor is 80 years young and she is as flexible as a 20 year old. She cross country skies every day in the winter and swims every day in the summer. She is an inspiration to the benefits of yoga.
    Again, I'm so glad yoga is helping you. keep with it.
    sue
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

But gently. I've recently gotten back into a yoga class, mostly stretching and slow gentle postures. It's been good for me, although I have to be very careful. The instructor knows about my fibro and etc., and she cautions me frequently to modify to postures as needed. I got ambitious at home one day recently and tried a 'backbend', such a mistake, and I paid for it with stained shoulder and neck muscles and headaches for a week or longer. I used to be able to do all these more extreme poses, and need to keep reminding myself that that was then, this is now. Moral of the story is to BE CAREFUL, GO SLOWLY, DO NOT EXCEED YOUR LIMITATIONS. Really. I will never be able to do a shoulder or head stand, unless I want severe pain and problems. I know this, and need to remind myself I have limitations, as hard as that is to accept sometimes.

So keep on yoga-ing, be kind to yourself, and enjoy!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It does.

Love, Mikie