does your body parts swell?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Nov 7, 2006.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i dont know if this is the cause or not-
    since this is just the 3td day of the patch,
    but my hands and fingers have been so swoll,
    thati cant make a fist..
    do you all get swollen parts?
    is it a new phase of fibro?
  2. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I got hit with several symptoms all at once. Inability to sleep, terribly knotted muscles...and swelling hands. I woke up one morning and my hands were extremely swollen. They felt very tight, a bit achey and they were just about useless for a couple hours. After that the swelling deminished and my hands felt better. This continued every morning, and by the end of the first week I thought I had arthritis. My fingers, especially my middle finger would hurt so bad I couldn't bend them. I would have my husband massage them for a few minutes and they would get loose enough for me to slowly start bending the fingers. For several months my hands didn't exactly feel like they were mine. They weren't numb, but they felt "thick". I was constantly dropping things. The tips of my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands developed very thick skin which would peel after a shower. Very quickly, my arms also felt weak. I had trouble doing anything with them that required them to be extended above waist level (ie. folding a sheet, putting dishes away, drying my hair). My husband walked in on me doubled over a sheet crying one day...I felt SO useless...I couldn't even fold a stupid sheet.

I found sleeping with wrist braces helped somewhat. I did get tested for carpal tunnel which I did in fact have in boths wrists; although I don't know if this was the cause. I also started physical therapy for neck and shoulder problems; and of course Spring came. I don't know which of these eventually made it better, but for several months they felt better, although my fingers were always still a bit swollen as though I were retaining water. After massage they would be very skinny like the water had been released. Fall is here and my hands are getting a bit achey again and are more swollen in the morning, but so far not as bad as last year.

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Try the wrist braces, try stretching your hands and fingers as well as shoulders, upperback and neck.

Hugs, Joann
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Interesting you should post this as I've had more swelling in the past few days.

I completely overdid it helping my son move this past weekend (my hubby has pneumonia and couldn't help) and now am in an awful flare. I don't take the patch but do take Morphine IR.

I've noticed in the past year or so that when I go into a flare, my hands start swelling. I also have problems with arthritic-like pain in the knuckles.

I haven't increased my morphine dosage, (I usually just take a one at night-time with my sleeping pill) so to me it seems like it has to be related to the flare.

If you find out a cause, we'd all like to know.

All the best,

Eileen
  4. Summit

Summit New Member

yes, I get puffy behind the knees. I had for a few weeks a big knot/knob on my arm. and I get a big lump (makes me feel like a hunch back) and then it will go away , then come back. I have fibro. don't do the patch
  5. homesheba

homesheba New Member

is so wierd!!.
    i even thought maybe it was salt intake
    but i dont really do that much.
    and evenn this morn they are swoll.
    but donmt want to tell dr.
    that would mean more meds and money
    and tests and all that sigh...
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Homesheba

My hands often swell, in fact they always look puffy but some days are worse than others. I have also gained a lot of weight which doesn't help. I have had my wedding rings resized twice in the last 3 years.

I also feel like my feet swell too and my sandals will feel really tight.

hugs Redwillow
  7. meowee

meowee New Member

my hands and arms swell quite often.
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

my hands swell
    my feet swell on top
    my arms swell
    my knees swell
    the top of my neck swells
    feels like my low back swells.

Wow I just realized maybe I'm not Fat (LOL) maybe I'm just swelled (LOL)
  9. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

are swollen today!! I can't bend my right leg today!!Hurting so bad today!!!
    Cindy
  10. pauladiverspain

pauladiverspain New Member

I found this posting intersting.
    I have always wounder about the swelling.
    I get in my hands and feet. but the worst is my tummy.
    By the end of the day I look 7 months pregnant at least.
    This usually happens when I am really exhusted.
    And stopping most activitys, to mostly bed rest, seems to be the only way to get the swelling to go down. This is when I usually see my feet at their worst, when I am getting up from sleep, they seem to ¨feel¨ more swollen than they actually feel. I would like to hear from others that have been affect by this.
    takecare
    Paula
  11. homesheba

homesheba New Member

my stomach does also!!!!
    and i havent even had kids!!!
    but i feel so puffy and bloated. and good grief!!! i never know what i am gona see in the mirror next!!!
    i get these little bumps like moles on me
    from out of the blue!!!
    i get a red neck all of a sudden and it burns
    and goes away!!!
    and man!!!
    my head starts itching like crazy and i have no dandreff or lice or anything>>>:)
    my cheeks go beet red for no reason.
    what is happening????
  12. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

WOW...I thought that was from being 40ish...No matter what my weight...my tummy has ALWAYS been flat...I hold my fat in my saddle bags...but for the last several months I have no saddlebags and look 5 months pregnant...and my weight was NORMAL!!!

What the heck is this tummy swellling about??? Perhaps we have found a clue!

Joann
  13. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I don't know where you are but where I live it's fall-heading into winter. When it gets cold my knuckles swell like crazy and it kills. I don't know what patch you're talking about but maybe the weather might be a factor. I know it is for me! I hope you feel better.
  14. homesheba

homesheba New Member

sometimes like a nu nu head-
    i forget the rest of a sentence
    like you all can read my mind!! ha ha!! yikes!!!
    but i started that morphene patch- 25 mg.
    and i wonder if that is related... hmmm?
    and yes!
    i also had a flat stomach.
    and now !! i think i even have a hernia!!
    talk about freaking out!!
    i just saw that yesterday when i got brave enough
    to look in the mirrow before a bath.. ha ha!!!
    anyway, oh my..
    i dont even want to tell the dr about that.
    i am now scared.. sigh.
  15. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

By the way, if I put ice on my tummy or do the lemon juice thing my "tummy" goes away (temporarily).

Joann