Does your fibro get worse when you 'catch' a bug/virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Sep 7, 2003.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi everyone!

Thought I would get your valuable input regarding my question.

I have had bronchitis for five days. Not only is it annoying by itself, but I am now dealing with a flare like feeling. I am assuming a virus can bring you down even further, and make the 'cold symptoms' seem more extreme. Am I right? How does this affect you?

I'd been doing so well, but now just want to lay on the couch or bed and do nothing. I feel like a slug and I hate that feeling! I have also gained weight during this time which always brightens my day, NOT!!!!!!

Any responses appreciated!!!!!!!

Hugs,

Kim
  2. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

When I catch bugs which are going around I can figure I'm going to end up in bed, in agony. If I honor that and don't push myself physically -- then it seems I get over it faster than normal people. If I don't, then I will be sick for weeks until I finally can't function at all and am forced into bed.

Its one of the parts of "managing" the illness. Managing Fibromyalgia.... is that an oxymoron or what? lol

hope you feel better
    hugs from Cat
  3. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Hello
    I think you are right. I had a flu bug for 6 weeks. I called my rheumy and she said sounds like thhe flu.. Teri
  4. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I've noticed that I don't get every cold that goes around, and when I do get sick I don't get it as bad as other people. BUT, when I do get sick, I end up with a fibro flare every time. I also got a flare last year after getting a vaccine. My first bad flare was following back surgery, and my next bad flare followed a car accident. But definitely the bug thing gets me headed downhill and it takes months sometimes to get my feet back under me.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For years I would catch every bug around. But for the last two years it seems like I am immune to colds, flu, and yes, I used to get bronchitis very bad, along with pneumonia.

The FM was worst when I had something else going. It seemed like everything settled in my back and lungs.

Sure hope you are feeling better soon, its really miserable just having FM without the latest bug too!

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]