Does your leg aches/pain come from a bad back?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi all~
    This past week or more my legs have been horrible!!
    They ache terribly.
    Its as if I really overdid it somehow but have'nt.

I know I have 2 bad disks in my lower back. Can the disks
    flaring up be causing all this pain?
    Or do you think alot of it is Fibro ?

My sciatic pain use to be just one side,one leg.
    This leg pain is both legs,all over fronts and backs.
    and I just know if I go to the ER I won't get crap for the pain. Its not bearable pain~
    I can't even get comfortable, sitting or laying.
    Its a constant throbbing ache.

HOT bath & jammies here I come!
    Thanks for any help/suggestions,
    Tandy
  2. JQP

JQP New Member

I have had massive leg/hip pain on and off for years, with bearable pain (is there such a thing) in between. All came to a head last year...GP's answer - lose weight. Eventually got to physio...turns out the nerve (not sciatic) is severly inflamed on right leg, and not so much on the left. (Goes down outside of thigh, side of knee, then across the shin...feels like a knife in the side and a hand gripping the shin).
    Then discovered that lower back pain was not related to leg, but to the hip, and is not disc, but is probably the result of me unbalancing my body to counteract an injury some 28 years ago!
    She gave up after the statuatory 6 weeks we get in UK and am waiting to be referred to the Pain Clinic.
    Vindication was that it was NOT my weight...but now I semi know what it is, seems to make it easier to handle.
  3. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

Does it feel tight too?

this dr today told me i probally have RLS, which i don't have the crawly feeling, i have the aching, the pins & needles numb feeling, heavy & tightness feeling. I just can't get my legs comfortable most times either. I wake up at night sometimes to stick my feet under cold water.

I wish i could help you, but i'm just finding out more myself. When i sit it does this too.

I have to take hot baths alot.

take care
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks you guys!!

I don't know whats causing it this time around.
    But I know each episode has gotten progressively worse.
    Yes,... my hamstrings (backs of legs) feel tight.
    and heavy oh yea! just achiness.
    its really bad,...and I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight.
    feels like I literally did 100 squats!!
    I've done zippo! maybe thats my problem...?
    we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Night
    Tandy
  5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Back issues can definitely create leg pain- it's because the nerves that reach the legs can be damaged and send out pain signals where there is a problem in the back.

I hope you feel better! My mom had sciatica many years ago and had to take lots of Aleve- it was the only thing that helped her pain- can you try that?
  6. blkkat

blkkat New Member

i'm so sorry you hurt so bad! yes i get all what you have. and yes i hurt my back in 04 and now i have 10 plus pain 24/7 and thats on oxycodone 20mgs,nuerontin,500mgs, every

day! but now so i dont get that bug like CRAWLING that drives you nuts and cant sleep, i take klonopin but( generic) is ( clonazepam). but my legs ache so bad! i also get buzzing,tingling,sharp stabbing pain waist down!!!! ive had every MRI,cat scan, blood,nerve test done! even

went to the shrink! they say, yes you have a back injury but we just cant see anything on film! plus you have FM too. im sorry to ramble but i (WE) know what your going through! IT BITES!!!!!! try to go to a family dr. tell them you hurt! (BUT i'm sure youve done that right?) you didnt say if you are taking any pain meds for the pain. all i can say is youd have to pry all my meds from my dead bodies hand to take them from me!!-- ive even gone to a 10 week class on mind/body to learn how to control how to better deal w/my pain . so if you could get a tape that can teach you how to meditate, ect. it helps. also baths , heating pads, massage helps as im sure you already do. i feel for you ! i really do! HUGS!!! MONA P.S right before i get a cold or virus or more stress than norm. i get way worse! cold weather also doesnt help!
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Big hugs for all the help/suggestions~

I'll try aleve,..as I have'nt yet. I just doubted it was strong enough for this pain. But it sure would'nt hurt to try.
    Honestly,... if it wer'nt for my 'friend' giving me a few of her vico's.,.... I'd be screwed! all I get from my doc. is ultrams. (they don't help me at all)

I have zanaflex 2 mgs. I'll try that too.
    I don't regularly take those but feel I NEED them this week.
    pluggin in the heating pad :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I don't have lower back problems. The pain just comes from nowhere and is all over my left leg. It is often worse when I am lying down. A doctor told me if you can bend your leg or bend from waist it is not sciatica as you cannot bend with this. I have no idea if that is so.

Lately, this same pain is also arounf my left shoulder blade area too.

Tiger Balm, epsom salt baths and massage care of DH seem to help, but no do away with the pain.

I am due to have EMG next week. Will keep you posted.

Love Anne C
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My doc sent me for an MRI last week because of the horrible pain in my right leg.

They found a bulging disk. I am schedule for three epidral shots of cordisone to reduce the inflamation and hopefully give the disk a chance to heal.

I didn't know they could heal! Thought they had to be fixed surgically. I am so relieved, but not looking forward to the shots!

This isn't sciatica either, it affects my whole right leg, mostly below the knee down the inside and on the shin. Wakes me up everynight just as I fall asleep. Have to get up and walk around til it quits, then I do it all over again!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  10. darude

darude New Member

I have bad disks in my back but they say not causing this!!!! I get pain in both legs all way down and it is 24/7. Legs feel very tight and muscles spasm. I take tylenol arthritis and have long hot baths.

[ advertisement ]