Does your pain get worse when you yawn/stretch?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I have FM as well as spinal stenosis and cervical disc problems. For the past few months I've been getting nerve pain mostly upper arms, however, it is intensified ten times when I first wake up and try to stretch with that morning yawn that used to be such a natural thing to do. Now if I don't stop myself from doing that natural stretch I am hit with the worst electrical stabbing pains going down arm. Sometimes I will wake up screaming because I forget. It subsides within minutes...it's not like the charley horse cramps I used to get in legs...the pain is really worse than that.

I already take Neurontin and Klonopin which help during the day and to go to sleep at night but they don't seem to stop this pain first thing in the AM. I asked my Rheumy about it and he said he'd never heard of that symptom before and says the Neurontin should help it so when I go back next visit I will ask to increase dosage because the 300mg per day just ain't doing it.

I'm wondering if anyone out there with more medical knowledge may know what exactly makes us need to yawn/stretch first thing in morning? Is it just a need to get more oxygen flowing? Maybe I should be getting some oxygen treatments or something. Please if anyone else gets this horrible type of pain, let me know if anything helps.

Thanks and bless you all for being so helpful.
    A.Shaky
  2. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

this is very interesting and does shead some light on my same feeling that it's related to lack of oxygen, as many with FM have anyway. I will do some more research and look into the oxygen treatments. In the mean time I guess I will do more deep breathing!

thanks