Dog Genius

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

On National Geographic station they are running a fabulous program on "genius dogs. I already knew my dogs were smart but this is unbelievable!

"Donny the Doberman" arranges his toys deliberately in certain patterns - for example..

Toys in a triangle patterns

Toys with all the frogs in one stack, all the bears in one stack.

Toys with one straight line next to each other.

He was filmed while doing all these arrangements and it was so funny. He was really planning and thinking what he was doing.

Donny was as rescue. The next day after he allowed his new owner to hold him the very first time, he arranged his toys with the arm around the other - like hugging.

The owner finally found a scientist to observe him. She was shocked and said she still could not believe this, but it was true.

Below is info on the program - I hope they play it again - if you happen to see it advertised you might enjoy it.

Dog Genius [TV-PG Ratings N/A]

Friday, February 1, 2008, at 07P

We share the planet with 400 million dogs : toy dogs, working dogs, champion dogs and artistic dogs; dogs who know what to do in an emergency; and dogs who know their way around a couch.

For over 12,000 years, they've been our essential survival aids and our constant companions. But how smart are dogs? Most dog owners would say they're geniuses and point to their pup as living proof.

National Geographic joins scientists and dog trainers to explore the dog smarts in surprising new ways, unlocking the truth about man's best friend.

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Donny sounds almost as smart as my many genius dogs! Ok, they weren't all geniuses but they were close!

One of the most remarkable things about dogs and people is that both species decided to team up. Unlike other domestic animals, dogs chose us as much as we chose them. I think that's so fantastic. And, if you look at the combined history of dog and human there are so many things we probably couldn't have done without this partnership. It's unlikely that we could have domesticated sheep, for instance.

I've been watching dogumentaries, too. I love dogumentaries!

I'm so glad you told us about this! I will certainly be looking out for it.

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

OK, I found when it airs again....Tonight at 11 pm Pacific Time.

Also airs:
    Friday, February 15, 3PM Eastern Time - 1 PM Pacific Time

The program is called Dog Genius.

[This Message was Edited on 02/01/2008]
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I can't wait to watch this!! I have two little Chihuahuas that I KNOW are smarter than a lot of people!! More loveable than most too!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I think it actually first aired last year, I remember reading about it when the special was going to premiere, but missed it then.

What is so great nowadays is that anyone can document unusual and before unbelieved behavior by animals of all sorts... not only of intellligence, but of altruism between species!

So 'Science' is finally having to change their opinion of 'dumb animals'!

I really hope all the animal lovers here get to see this!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2008]
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Did you see the dog on Oprah that could climb stairs with a glass of water balanced on her head? That was so cool! And she could jump rope so fast she had the world record! She was an australian shepard - boarder collie mix. So smart! I love fur babies too!

7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think it is on the 15th the next time...
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I did not see the dog with the water glass on her head but I have a Jack Russell who may have the world record for the speed she can shake her dolly. It is sooo fast your eyes cannot focus and it looks like a blur when she is doing it. We always laugh.

Also, she has about 150 small stuffed animals we keep in her toy box. Every day we have to dump them out for her.
    She spends a long time searching through the dolls to pick the right one to bring us.

She likes to play a game with us - first teasing us, then shaking the doll, then she will give it to us to throw so she can bring back.

If the other dog intercepts her toy, she comes to us complaining loudly to get it back, just like kids.

She never tears them up - just nibbles on them whichis so cute. The ears and tails of many are stiff from her saliva.

Sometimes people will come over and see her toys all over the place and ask if we have kids... we laugh and say yes.
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

My dog, Woof, is 1/3 German Shepard. He herds our truck.
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hopefully she won't run in front of the truck! Do you know what breeds she is mixed with?

Everyone should post the special things their pets do. I am sure there are many talented dogs and cats here.

I once had a cat who took an entire ball of twine and wrapped it around the legs of my kitchen chairs. Another time he got in a box of little dolls I used to decorate the Christmas tree. There are about 40 - he took every one and hid them all over the house.

It must have taken him hours to do that. So funny.
  11. springwater

springwater Active Member

I read this anecdote sent in by a reader to Readers Digest many years ago...

This person read that if the owner falls down in a faint, an intelligent dog will immediately come over and whine and lick the master all over.

One day he was eating pizza at the kitchen table and decided to try out the experiment and see how smart his 2 dogs were. He let out a yell and threw himself down in a pretend faint.

His two dogs reaction? They looked at each other for a moment and raced to get a bite of his pizza lying on the table.

God Bless
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

That is so funny. I honestly believe that. I had two Akitas once. They were very close. One day I brought a new dog home, it was a rescue I needed to keep for a while.

The two of them were furious. Both would disappear like they were consulting with each other, then run out together and make a big fuss. I raised my voice to them and they both looked at each other in a split second and must have said something like "we are in trouble" and disappeared again.

Its hard to explain, but they were so close and definitely communicating with each other about how to handle this situation.

Another time I was driving and there were two dogs running along the side of the road. One of the dogs ran out and was hit by a car. The other dog, it was a Afghan Hound, stopped and draped her body over her injured friend.

I stopped and called animal control. When they arrived the Afghan would not let anyone come near the injured dog, she continued to put her body over the dog.

I finally told the animal control to let me talk to her. I approached and explained we needed to help her friend and to please let us take her.

Unbelievably she got off the dog and let the dog be transported to a doctor. I followed up and the injured dog was ok. They both went back to their owner.

Animals are much more than many people realize.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2008]
  13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I can always tell when one of mine has done that. We are immediately in the bath! Stinkers!
  14. springwater

springwater Active Member

The story abut the Afghan hound and its injured friend was so sweet...and i am so glad that doggie is okay now. Its a comfort knowing there are people like you who care and didnt just leave the spot hoping someone else would do can be the case in so many instances.

Re smart dogs have you seen any of the shows featuring Skidboot? He came on Pet Stars and Oprah and im sure many more shows....he was almost like a human, the way he could learn tricks, understand instructions - and so disciplined...he had all the judges open mouthed with awe.

I love my dogs but right now Im not feeling too friendly towards them, one of them had taken chunks out of three sofa pieces and my husband had them reupholstered at quite a cost and a month later, some days back this doggie got into the livingroom again and has taken a huge chunk out of the newly upholstered sofa! She is a stray we took in because she was injured & starving and just a little puppy but she has turned out to be soooooo hyper and energetic...she cannot sit still.

God Bless

God Bless