Dogboy........who let the dogs out?

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by annee, Feb 28, 2002.

1. annee

annee New Member

Hi Jeff,
    This is totally non cfs or fibro related.
    Can you give me some advice regarding my dog.
    Name : LILY
    Jack russell / female / 2 1/2 years old.

She thinks she is a person.
    Now I know this is not because we spoil her and treat her like our daughter - not much!!
    She just loves to be with us - all the time.
    She is a shadow to GB and she is great company to him and has helped him at times throughout this illness.
    Can you give us some brief tips on how we can let Lily know that we are in charge.
    Lil can sit & stay and come when she is called - when she feels like it.
    She is a fantastic dog full of fun and energy, but she does tend to want to be our equal alot of the time.
    Hope things with you and your better half are going okay.
    Any advice cheerfully accepted.
    Thanks and hugs,
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy New Member

Sorry for the slow reply Annee. Things have busy for me lately. Dog trainers have a word for a JRT who thinks she's your equal: humble. LOL In spite of their diminutive stature, these are serious dogs who are bred to not give in easily (or at all). Basically, you have to teach the dog she has to do what you ask to get anything she wants. Try going to and reading the article on the "Attitude Adjustment Program." It's a good start to solving your problems. Most of the other articles on the website are excellent also. I don't know how much I'll check the board for the next week or so, but feel free to email me privately with questions at