Doing Dumb Things

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WhoSaid, Jul 24, 2008.

1. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

A couple of nights ago I was cooking dinner. My roasting pan in the 375 degree oven for about an hour.
    To make a long story short, I tried to take the lid off the roasting pan without a pot holder resulting in buring 3 of my fingers and thumb.
    This isn't the first time I have done something like that.
    What scared me most about this is it didn't hurt at all until I put my hands in hot water to wash the dishes.
    I am sure this can't be a good sign.
  2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Welcome to the dumb part of fibromyalgia.

I left the burner on the gas oven on all night.

FM took away my common sense and my brain.

Good Luck.

3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I 'm so sorry you burned yourself , hope it's better now.

I know I've done some silly/dumb things since getting this dd but the fibro fog is getting in the way and I can't remember anything right now.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I'm good at putting things in places that don't belong, and also forgetting where I put things. I also am an expert at going into a room for something and then not knowing what it is..I also must talk to myself in stores in order to remember what I'm supposed to buy. My kids love this!
    Don't get me started on stupid conversations I have with other people, or forgetting how to act around people. I have become a homebody because I don't trust myself or my mouth!
    I've left burners on but luckily remember it before anything happens. My washer washes itself because I forgot to put the laundry in it..
    Welcome to the wonderful world of fibrofog!
  5. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Whenever I goof up and do something or say something dumb, I just point to my hair color, which is blonde, and say, "Hey...I'm blonde. What do you expect?" It has worked so far. I get so frustrated because I used to be so good with words and putting things together like that. Now I can't remember the end of the sentence sometimes. I am always typing the wrong word. My mind says one thing and my fingers type another.
    What scares me is that my mom had Alz. This DD and it's fibro fog can be so close to it. I am only 47, but I worry all the time about whether what I am doing is FM or ALZ. I tell myself, and sometimes I listen, that it is just FM or stress.
    I have left the stove burners on with nothing on them. I will think of something else and go off on a new task, without finishing what I was doing. If I don't make a list for everything I am lost. Can't go to Walmart without one, or I never make it home with what I was supposed to get.
    Just hang in there and just know that you are not alone!!!!!!! :)
  6. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I do dumb things as well. More than that, I have a hard time finding the right words when involved in a conversation. My brain seems to be going 100 miles a minute but I still can't find the right word(s)to come out. It is so frustrating. I apololgize over and over for not being able to find the right word(s). The words come to me later but by then it is to late. Trying to explain how i feel has become harder and harder. I eventually give up.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  7. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

My s/o and i were painting the house. after we were done for the day. I put the paint cans away.
    later that night, found the paint cans in the fridge!
    you never know what you are going to find in my fridge. lol
    Another time i left the house went out to the car opened the door to the car and went back into the house and watched tv. I had left the car door open, the front door wide open, the dryer door open and the laundry room door open. I have no idea why, i don't even know why i went out to the car in the first place, or why i was in the laundry room.
    Frequently, i'll be standing in the middle of a room and have no idea why i went into that room.
    while grocery shopping, i'll be standing in the middle of an aile and have no idea why i'm in that aile. Or i'll buy everything i don't need and forget everything i needed! lol

Oh i also have a bad habit of forgetting what i was going to say mid sentence or i'll talk backwards.
    one time i ment to tell my s/o that i felt like i slept on a bed of nails but what i actaully said was i felt like i slept on a "bail of neds" lol
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  8. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

Heck, I have been doing the old find myself standing in the middle of a room wondering why I am there for a very long time.
    I would have to back track to where I fell off the train to pick up the thought and then continue on with what I was doing in the first place.
    I wonder how long I have actually been affected by this and just blew it off. Thinking back some of these things have been going on for 30 years.
    It's just recently that I have started to leave the oven on. I don't want this to get worse.
    I did get 2nd degree burns on my finger tips. I don't think I am going to forget the oven mitt again for a LOONNNG time.
    If you see me with post-it notes on my forehead you will know why... haha
    Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.
  9. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Some of my doozies are leaving the water running after brushing my teeth and going to bed. Then, I'll sit up and wonder who left the water running!! My husband has pointed out numerous times that I'm brushing my teeth or washing my face for the second time before going to bed. He'll usually just tease me by saying "didn't get clean enough the first time, huh?"

I'm also bad about leaving the refrigerator door open. Sequencing seems to be a major problem of mine. I have to stop and think a long time before making a bowl of cereal or a simple sandwich. I'll actually talk my way through the steps. My kids and husband always laugh when I ask (in an exasperated voice) "who left this out or this open?" and they all answer in unison, "you!!". Hmm. No one asks why I no longer drive.

The thing that I don't understand is that this "fog" is never across the board. Not five minutes after doing something silly, I can sit down and knit the most complicated charted lace knitted project or write a detailed letter of advocacy. I couldn't have music on or a person speaking in the room, though. My theory is that the fog and confusion increase whenever we attempt to multi-task anything at all. I'm not so sure that breathing doesn't count as a task, either.

I frequently have to converse with agency professionals, attorneys, doctors, therapists, or law enforcement personnel on the phone due to the special needs issues of our children. Because I'm lying flat on my bed, I can think quite clearly. If I mention, for some reason, that a meeting wouldn't be possible due to my disability, they always act surprised and say "you sound great". I always tell them "well, I'm not trying to sit up and talk at the same time".

As I said, I'm awfully glad we can see the humor in all this. Humility is a tough lesson to learn.