Doing things to help detox......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I have been told my Fibromyalgia is toxin overload, and my massage therapist, has told me about the Mucinex helping , also a baking soda/salt bath! And a niacin rolldown, and getting in a suana, that I need to sweat, but I can't...not even a drop, It's very frustrating! I am going to also try a 3 day detox diet.
    What are some of the things you all do???
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

That is the #1 (and easiest) thing to help your body flush out toxins. Who knows...it may even help you sweat if you do the sauna thing! :)

I periodically take some homeopathic detox remedies, as well as methyl B12 injections, and in the past I've used a product called UltraClear by Metagenics (a local company for me), that you mix in juice. Doing vigorous-enough exercise to get my heart pumping and me sweating also is great, although I rarely have done anything like that as of late. I've also heard epsom salt baths can help, or castor oil packs applied to the abdomen for liver drainage, although I generally wouldn't do anything without a health care provider's advice. Except the water and healthy diet (lots of fresh fruit & veggies, pref. organic). That is good for anyone.

Also, there are "harsher" detox remedies out there that can really put a toll on your system, not to mention have you feel just awful those 2-3 days, etc. Please be careful...I personally would never do anything that aggressive, esp. with a "toxin overload" and a condition that could easily flare up, like FM or in my case CFS. I had enough "toxin dumps" (which caused "flare ups" and baaad migraines for me) when I initially was starting even the most gentle detox. It was very frustrating. But I also have a very sensitive system.

Best of luck to you!

3. CinCA

CinCA New Member

If you can afford it, try to get "herbal wraps", which many good day spas offer for around $50 in my area. I was fortunate enough to have gotten a couple as a present a few months ago. I don't know if they helped the detox process, but they felt soooo nice, and I sure did sweat! You basically are wrapped in these very warm sheets soaked in various herbs, etc., and cocooned for maybe 10 mins. (I got a bonus of a scalp/neck massage). It may sound kind-of weird, but it was very, very relaxing (and I'm a type A who never relaxes, ever). I wish I could go every week! :)

Also, regular massages are good at releasing toxins, but you need to be sure to drink a lot of water afterwards to flush them from your system. Sure your massage therapist has told you that! But you are taking steps in the right direction, it sounds like.

Good luck!
  4. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Thanks for your replies! It was very interesting, I'm not going to do nothing drastic, don't worry LOL
    I'm to chicken, to go to wild! LOL
    Im a water lover, I'm getting massage,and used to take Milk Thistle, I'll think I start again!
    Take care all...hugz,Karen
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Saunas are great, especially the far infrared ones. I have read that if we are really toxic, we don't sweat at first but if we keep at it, we can begin to get the toxins out.
    Chlorella is a very good detoxifier. I have also read that castor oil packs over the liver will decongest the liver and help it detox.
    I agree with many of the other ideas.

Kathy.
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

You will sweat eventually in a far infrared sauna. My friend does not sweat either and her doctor told her it was because she was so toxic and unable to eliminate the toxins on her own due to severe CFS/FM.

She has been spending an hour a day in a far infrared sauna and finally is sweating like crazy. So much so that she has to get out half way through and take a cold bath to wash off the toxins and then get back in.

Rebounding also helps get the toxins moving but you need the far infrared to eliminate them.

Pepper
  7. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

My chiro swears by fasting. Two days is good. She said you wouldn't believe the stuff you poop out even after two days!

I like to eat too much to try that approach