Donating blood - donating organs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ggks, Apr 19, 2003.

1. ggks

ggks New Member

Untill proven otherwise, I will not be donating any blood. But I was wondering about the donation of other organs such as heart, liver. eyes or skin. My friend said that I was too old (age 72) to even consider donating body organs of any kind. Is this true?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Stealth pathogens hide in cells inside our organs, so I do not think it's safe for us to donate.

Love, Mikie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Whether it's blood or organs, I would be hesitatant. This is the second post today on this. Thanks for reminding me...I still have a uniform donor card and eye and kidney bank cards in my wallet. I need to get rid of them before I give this to someone. On the other hand, I ask myself if a blind person would rather see and have FMS, than continue to not see...I am not sure of the answer, since I have not experienced blindness.
    Klutzo
  4. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

to think of people donating blood or organs who have these illnesses as i would hate to pass on my illness and pain to another person.

incidently i was given a blood donation to help me recover from a dodgey op. 2 years before i began to be sick.
    and my sister now dead was given hep c along with the blood she was given also after an op.
    its good to help save lives but i do feel its best left to people who are healthy.

i am not meaning to sound critical of your intention by the way i hope i don't sound that way . i don't think age does come into it.

pinkquartz
  5. leokat

leokat New Member

but now I have a diagnosis I really don't feel it's safe to donate. So little is known about FM and cfs and how they might be passed on. Also, I wouldn't really trust a doctor's opinion on this so I haven't even asked.

This has been a hard decision for me as I have strong feelings about donation. Only last week I found myself at the doctors surgery thinking I've lost my donor card and must get another.
  6. JadeFire

JadeFire New Member

I'm not sure on the organs and age factor. That's something you should talk to someone in the medical field about. But, if you have fibromyalgia and/or CFS chances are they wouldn't take them anyways. In a case like this, where the cause and reasoning for an illness is not known they usually hesitate to take anything. With blood, they won't take it on what they say is based souly on you, the donator. Taking such a massive amount of blood naturally makes a person a bit bad feeling for a while, but it seems to have even more negative effects on people with chronic pain. Flare ups of pain and other symptoms, fainting, etc. It's just too risky.

When I hit eighteen a week later I went to donate blood and found this out. I'm 19 now, and I think that was one of the few times I cried seriously over my 'conditions' themselves. Feels pretty hopeless when I can't even do something for society like donating blood.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I think at age 72 you might be considered too old to donate your organs. One thing that I do know for sure is that at age 72, you are considered too old to RECEIVE a transplanted organ. My father was 72 and on kidney dialysis and was told that anyone over age 70 was too old to be considered for a transplant.

If you were considering being an organ doner, and now are unable to do it because of age, you might want to consider donating your body to a medical school when you pass away.

I don't want to sound morbid, and certainly hope that I do not offend you or anyone by talking about this, but it is something to consider. My daughter just completed medical school and is now a doctor. If some people had not been so generous as to donate their bodies to science, she and her entire medical class would have been unable to complete this one important aspect of her studies.

8. Hippo

Hippo New Member

to USC Dental School. One of the reasons he did it was to spare my mother the expenses of a funeral and burial. It literally costs nothing when the medical school takes the body. Sorry if I'm offending anyone.

Hippo
  9. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i worked in a nursing home and after some of the residents passed away they were able to donate their eyes.now this is done in ontario.it may be different in where you live.i too donate and i think it's a great idea.if they cant use your other organs i'm sure they can use it for testing ect.hat's off to you!
  10. anniegetyourgun

anniegetyourgun New Member

NO! You are NEVER too old to donate your body to science! To me, donating your body and/or particular organs for scientific research means giving the gift of life to many people...not just to one organ recipient. Without research, there would be no organ transplants in the first place.

In my quest for information about RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) I was contacted by the Mayo Clinic and asked to donate my brain for (neurologic) research. My 84-year-old father also has RLS and they requested donation of his brain as well (although he hasn't exactly agreed to do so just yet).

Good for you to have a big enough heart to want to give of yourself.

Annie