donating blood?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by totteacher, Oct 21, 2002.

1. totteacher

totteacher New Member

I used to be really good to donate blood before my dx of FM. The Red Cross has been calling me lately asking me to donate as I have a much used blood type. If I am feeling up to it, is it ok to donate or should I just forget about it? I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere. I have also been reading about the mycoplasm issue so that is another reason I am asking. If anyone has some input I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Totteacher
  2. totteacher

totteacher New Member

I used to be really good to donate blood before my dx of FM. The Red Cross has been calling me lately asking me to donate as I have a much used blood type. If I am feeling up to it, is it ok to donate or should I just forget about it? I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere. I have also been reading about the mycoplasm issue so that is another reason I am asking. If anyone has some input I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Totteacher
  3. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I have been told NEVER to donate blood, and not to fill out those organ donor cards, either. It's okay to donate your body to a medical school (probably be a good idea, actually), but don't donate blood or organs.

Hippo

4. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I think the general consensus about donating blood if you have CFS is "no". I don't know about FM. Until more is known about how contagious CFS is most articles I've read about donating blood recommends erring on the side of caution and not giving blood. There's a post about a petition on this board that wants people's signatures. It has to with donating blood and trying to get the government's attention by making them realize that there is a possible threat to spreading disease through blood donation and perhaps it's time the government got serious about this disease.
  5. RedB

RedB New Member

This is an interesting topic. I'm glad to know that I am not crazy about my hesitation about donating blood or organs. I would hate to think that I passed this illness on to someone else. On the donor part of my driver's license I said I would donate anything, but I make the claim that I have fibromyalgia. I figure that way, the doctors can make their own decision. This is an especially sensitive subject to me, because my grandmother went through many years of blindness due to glaucoma, and I had always planned to definitely donate my eyes. Of course, at that time I had no idea that by the time you're in your fifties, no one really wants your crummy eyes anyway! Need glasses just to see my food on my plate.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We should absolutely not donate blood, bone marrow, or organs. Research is turning up so many infections, bacterial, viral, and fungal, both active and stealth, that I believe we would be putting many in harm's way by donating. In fact, I believe this may explain the rapid spread of our illnesses.

Dr. Nicolosn's research has shown that between 60 and 70 percent of people with FMS and CFS have chronic mycoplasma infections. I have chronic mycoplasma infection and have been on antibiotics for more than a year. It takes forever to get rid of these stealth critters.

Love, Mikie
  7. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I never thought about the fact that I have a immune disorder and shouldn't donate organs because of it. I guess it makes sense. I had better change my license. I don't wish this illness on my worst enemy. Well, maybe Saddam Hussein. LOL
  8. marinemom

marinemom New Member

to me. I have been an avid blood donor for years. My father, before he passed away, was on dialisis for two years. Without blood donations, he would not have survived. After his death, his body was donated to science at Duke University Hospital. His death was labeled congestive heart failure, but he suffered with Adult Onset Diabetes. He felt strongly about doing this, because he said it just might be his body that they discover the whys and whatfors.

I, myself, am O-, which is a rare and much needed type. I usually give blood and a couple of days later feel wonderful. You body naturally reproduces the new blood to replace what is taken, and it's like a "breath of fresh air' for your system.

I just went last month to give. After all the questions and med checks, there was no problem with me giving. I planned this donation so that my "good" day would fall on a Saturday that I promised my son a trip to the flea market!

I am currently on Zoloft, Zanaflex, Imitrex, Firinol, Advil, and Restaril. None of these drugs were considered harmful. I have been Dx'd with Fibro and OA, neither of which have been found to be contagious.

I for one, will continue to donate until the time comes that they say NO. Number one, it makes ME feel better, and number two, I'm helping someone else too!

Check with the local blood banks. All blood donated is tested for disease and filtered.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I feel VERY strongly about this subject.

Back home, when I donated, all my "bags" were labeled for the Neonatal units. If that wouldn't make you feel warm and fuzzy, nothing will.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
  9. marinemom

marinemom New Member

But I have so few things in my life now that really make me feel useful and needed, and this is one of them. As long as I'm able to donate, I will continue to do so. And if you follow the instructions that they give you for afterwards, you don't have a problem with depleting your body.

Sorry, but can't agree with you.
    Kathy
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know well the benefits of donating blood. It can be very healthy to the donor; however, blood banks and donation centers do not have an inkling how stealth parasites work in the body. They do not test for these parasites; they probably don't even know about them. They cannot possibly test for all potential dangers in the blood supply; they just screen for the major ones. The blood supply in this country is always in need and I believe the blood banks have not always been as good as they might have been at screening procedures.

Just because these blood banks do not tell people it's perfectly safe for us to donate doesn't mean that it is. Infectuous factors are being researched more and more as they relate to our illnesses, along with a whole bunch of others. We do not know that it is safe to donate, and common sense tells us that if 60-70 percent of us have chronic mycoplasma infections, not to mention the stealth viruses and fungal infections, donating blood cannot be considered safe by any stretch of the imagination.

AIDS was passed to many innocent children through blood transfusions before it was known how dangerous the HIV virus was. It is very possible that research will turn up similar horror stories with our illnesses. Younger and younger children are turning up with CFS and FMS. It would break my heart if I thought I had passed on my illnesses to a child after someone had pointed out the potential dangers to me. BTW, CFS and FMS are being looked at as possibly "contageous" when people are in the active stages of the triggering bacterial or viral infection.

Once one has this information, I cannot see how anyone could take the chance of possibly passing our illnesses to others, no matter how rare our blood is or how needed our blood type may be. It's just not worth taking the chance. I could easily make $500 a month just for donating my plasma because I have the D Antibody needed for making gamma globulin vaccine for Rh Neg. women. I will not even consider it because of the potential dangers.

Love, Mikie

11. phenom

phenom New Member

and i was telling them all about the fact that i had what the doctors were calling "sticky blood" - they had no idea what i was going on about and these people work with blood! they said i could donate and i did. i haven't done it since i was dx with FM, mainly due to the fact that i've been too sick...to tell you the truth, i didn't even think about it until i read this! thanks for that guys - i'd hate to pass this on too!

phenom