Donating Blood

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marjidoll, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I used to donate blood every 2 months. After having blood work done to find the cause of my pain, I learned that I tested positive for ANA (anti nuclear antibodies) My rheumatologist told me that I have no other illness such as RA or Lupus, just the fibro and that a lot of women produce ANA.

Next time the blood bank called for a donation,I asked them if it was still safe for me to donate.
    My primary care doctor didn't know for sure.

I finally had the blood bank ask their medical personnel and they said that the fibro in itself was a disqualifing illness and that I could no longer give blood.

Anybody ever hear of this? I am curious as to why.It could be that typically people with fibro are on a lot of strong medications.

2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

My husband works as a Phlebotomist for a blood donation center in Arizona and they accept donors who have FMS. He said they get several. Maybe every State has different guidelines.
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I never heard of this but I think it's a good thing
    if it's true because it could validate us more.

I just looked it up at the Red Cross site. It states
    that each blood bank can have different rules.
    It also said healthy means that you can function
    normally.

Chronic Illnesses
    Most chronic illnesses are acceptable as long as you feel well, the condition is under good control, you have an adequate hemoglobin level and your temperature is normal when you come to donate. Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease do not automatically disqualify you from donating. You should discuss your condition with the health historian at the time of donation.

Lynn
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2003]