Don't Doctors read about FM and its symptoms? You cant SLEEP? duh

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Feb 6, 2006.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

I have been to a myriad of Doctors trying to get answers and relief for my FM. I have not found a whole lot of help from any. I have been to Neurologists, Rheumatologists, Orthopedist, GP, allergists, Physical Therapists...the list goes on.

The one thing they all don't seem to get and ask me is, " Why dont you sleep? You need to sleep!!"

Duh, well I know that doc. But I cannot do that very well whether it be due to pain or the fact that my mind won't let me sleep.

Every book or article I read on FM explains what difficulty we have sleeping and why. Do these Doctors not read any of this research that has been done?

It shakes my faith in the medical profession for sure.
  2. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

I dont know about outher people but my dr dosent seem to know a whole lot,she told me she dosent know why iam so weak and tired,because fibro causes pain! I was like ok you need to read more,Also i have had to tell her about the symtomsof my outher illnesses,hello you think maybe i need to change drs? duh!well anyway i thought ied let you know it seems to be lot of drs out there. Take care,marieann
  3. rljharris

rljharris New Member

A couple of years ago, I was referred to a rheumy who, I had been told would look "deeper." He started off the initial appointment by stating, "While I have some FM clients, I don't want to become known as the FM doc - if I don't find anything new, you should go back to your other rheumy who is an adequate doc." Then when I told him I could not sleep, his professional advice was, "well, we need to just stop that SHIT." I kid you not...he then kicked me to the curb (2nd visit) when he told me that he suspected a possible connective tissue disease of "unknown origin" but wanted to prescribe Prednizone to see how I would respond, and after some thought, I refused the treatment. I should have kicked him to the curb, first visit.

It appears that we have to endure some bad apples, before we find a good one that will just keep trying...don't give up, but certainly understand why you're faith has been shaken...

Queen

[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2006]
  4. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

I hear you! A lot of medical professionals feel that the reason we hurt IS because we don't sleep. And also, have you seen the commercial about depression? "Depression hurts every where?" Instead of thinking that maybe people are depressed D/T the pain and aggravation of trying to get help. It's frustrating!
    Good luck!
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

The previous GP I had 5 years ago ( when symptoms started with the lump inside my throat .. thyroid roaring !) sent me to an internist instead of an endocrinologist because it would be quicker ? ..

This idiot described me a "bit hypothyroid" .. mainly ANXIOUS .. MUST TAKE PAXIL !! .. I graduated to depressed because the bloody fool didn't know what to do with me ..

Sent me to an ENT ( who told me I needed voice lessons so my throat wouldn't be so strained) my throat was raw from the swollen thyroid .. DUH !

I insisted on seeing a surgeon .. while the internist was PAXILLING me to death ..thank heavens the surgeon saw the BIG picture of over all pain and exhaustion that this other wingnuts made so much worse .. he sent me to a rheumy and I was able to change GP around the same time .. a sheer miracle in Ontario with our shortage of doctors...

Got away from the absolutely USELESS idiots and got on track .. for which I am grateful till death ..
    There are too many doctors out there that don't know WHAT they are doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrated almost to death Fudge ! : )
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Trust me, if you were sleeping all the time, their advice would be, "Sleep less." Docs just don't know what to do with us.

Hope MY thyroid appointment will go better!

Sometimes I feel scared knowing that there is no real help for me that I have found so far.

I've been awake and type-type-typing away here till DAWN every morning for a week now, feeling so sick and woozy and deep-down exhausted that I can hardly focus, but trust me, I CAN'T sleep! So jittery I can't go down. I go to bed at dawn, when I can't function anymore, and wake up a bit before sunset, through tangled dreams and awful grogginess. Then I lay half-way passed out through the day till the nighttime jitteriness starts buzzing through me again.

A doctor in an article that someone posted here said, "Fibro patients don't sleep. They pass out from sheer exhaustion." Hope I can "pass out" soon!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. meowee

meowee New Member

I could have written what you wrote myself. It is such a frustrating illness.

Fortunately, I do have a great GP, who admittedly knows nothing about FM but is willing to help me the best he can. My 3 visits to the Rheumo were a waste of time and money. He xrayed every bone in my body and then said, "You have Fibro" It went downhill from there.

Thank you all for your responses. I am glad to have found such a wonderful and understanding group of friends.

GOD BLESS ALL