Don't Forget Earth Hour......

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.....tonight at 8:00 p.m. in your time zone. Lights out for one hour.

Earth Hour, which began last night in other time zones around the world, is meant to call attention to our earth's needs and to demonstrate how we can all do something to save energy. Even Google is participating with a blank screen except for a blip about Earth Hour.

Sometimes it feels as if we can't do a lot to make a difference but this is easy. Besides, we can rest for that hour. ;>)

Here's to Earth Hour tonight!

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We will do that. Actualy we go to bed really early, usually about 8.00 so our lights will be out anyway.

Do you think burglars will try and take advantage in some cases? Maybe all but one light out would work better for homeowners.

Love Annie
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Annie, I think that most people will still be up, just not doing things that require light. ;>)

Here's the info from the website to give us some ideas of things to do. (Sleep sounds pretty good to me.)

Here we go:

Dear Friend of WWF, [World Wildlife Fund]

Earth Hour is tonight, March 29, from 8 to 9 pm local time! Get ready to make it a great celebration for the planet.

Wondering what to do after you turn the lights out? Here are 10 fun ideas to help you, your family and your friends make a change and make a difference today.

Time to switch to CFLs!
    1. Host a Green Party
    Get your friends together for an Earth Hour eco-party. Fire up the flashlights and battery lanterns, serve organic food, avoid the disposable utensils, use natural décor (like flowers and hanging plants) and have a friend provide acoustic music. Talk to your guests about how you're each reducing your environmental footprint and share ideas and solutions for saving more energy, money and carbon dioxide.

2. Give Yourself an Energy Makeover
    Use Earth Hour to make your home more energy efficient: Replace your old light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs; install power strips (so you can turn computers and electronics on and off more easily); and change your air conditioner filters. Or go one step farther and install one new energy-efficient item, like an EnergyStar qualified DVD player. And on Monday, call your local utility and sign up for green power-like wind, hydro or solar.

3. Go Green with Your Kids
    Earth Hour is a perfect time to talk to your kids about the environment and why we need to protect our planet from the dangers of climate change. Check out books on the environment from the library and read by flashlight, or head into the yard and have a night picnic. Or how about a night of board games? Check out our downloadable Earth Hour kids' activities.

Don't forget your reusable
    bags when you shop!
    4. Do a Recyclables Scavenger Hunt
    Get your flashlights and scour your cabinets and shelves for cans, bottles and cardboard (like cereal boxes) that you don't normally recycle. Make a list of all the non-recyclable containers you're using now (like plastic shopping bags and butter tubs), and figure out ways to reduce your consumption of items that end up in landfills. One easy tip: get reusable grocery bags... and reuse them!

5. Green That Workspace!
    Working the night shift? Even if you can't turn off all the lights at work, look around and see what you can unplug, turn down or use less of (like consuming less paper by printing double-sided). Every day millions of computer screens and speakers are left on overnight--shut 'em off! And talk to your coworkers about what they can do to help make a difference, too.

6. Involve Your Local Leaders
    If your city or town isn't hosting an Earth Hour event, ask your local government to set up a community "green" discussion this spring. Help organize attendance by reaching out to local environmental and community groups, and come prepared to ask your leaders what they're doing to make your city greener.

7. Clean Up Your Neighborhood
    Grab a flashlight and take a long walk through your neighborhood, picking up trash and recyclables as you go. It's a great chance to do some stargazing, too!

Turn off the television.
    © WWF-Canon/John Daniels
    8. Unplug and Chill Out
    Most of our daily activities--like watching TV, shopping online and texting friends--require loads of electricity, but do we really need to do so much stuff all the time? Take one hour for yourself to just chill... turn off the screens, put down the handheld devices and just take some "you" time to reflect, read or talk to your family. After all, why do more when you can do less?

9. Take Your Temperature
    Your thermostat and your refrigerator are responsible for a huge portion of your carbon footprint. If you lower your thermostat by just 2 degrees and set your fridge to 37 degrees F. and the freezer at 0 degrees F., you'll make a big difference.

10. Make a Pledge for the Planet
    Earth Hour shouldn't end at 9:01 pm--it's a chance to take a first step toward lowering your overall impact on the environment. So use part of that hour to make a personal pledge to do more--recycle, drive less often, turn off or unplug electronics, and beyond. The only way we're going to stabilize our climate is if we make real changes in our everyday lives. That change begins with Earth Hour, and ends with a healthy planet.

Of course, there are more than 10 ways to make a difference. Visit WWF's website for additional ideas on things you can do every day to help the Earth and reduce your environmental footprint.

Thank you for being a part of Earth Hour and committing to lowering your impact on the planet.

Switching off,

Richard Moss
    Managing Director and Vice President, Climate Change

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2008]
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for this wonderful informative post!,,,I'm always turning off the lights and stuff i don't need to use that requires electricity,,,,,,Earth Hour is a Wonderful idea!!,,,,,,,sort of a reminder of how our ancesters had to live!,,,,,,,,Sis
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Was at Wal-mart yesterday. They had cans of Campbell's tomato soup for sale, BUT the cans were green and white and marked Earth Day.

Very strange to see Campbell's w/ a new color. Kinda like McDonald's w/ purple arches or Marilyn Monroe w/ red hair.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

it doesn't quite make sense to me...

It bothers me they're encouraging activities which use batteries, not the most energy efficient OR environmentally friendly thing.

Neither are the compact fluorescent bulbs.

Or candles no matter what they're made of.

Or wood fires either.

Kind of leaves me in the dark between a rock and a hard place, literally and figuratively!?!

IMHO, Seems like the best thing would be to just disconnect everything not needed but the barest - ie, a few lights to read or play games by? would certainly greatly reduce the energy used overall by a huge percentage...

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2008]
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, it's a change for us, that's for sure. Just like the green and white labels, Rock. And I'm sure there are scams that will be perpetuated, all in the name of "going green". I can hear the marketing folks and those $$$$$ now.

Still, we've wasted natural resources on our earth for as long as we've had them. Wouldn't it be nice if we all just began to be a little more aware of the kind of footprints we leave here?

Personally, I'm not all that convinced about global warming as more than something the earth goes through every eon or so, but I do know we can and should be less wasteful. I think it will be interesting to see how much energy we can all save if we turned off the electricity for just one hour tonight. If nothing more, as Sis said, it might prompt us to be more aware of flipping the switches and pulling the chains on lights and equipment when we're not using them.

See you in the dark.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

Does anyone know if this got mentioned in the news? I'm really curious, as, according to one person in California, this is what she saw happen:

8:04pm Pacific Time 3/29/08

I'm up here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I have a full view of the Peninsula and the Cities on the other (east) side of the Bay. I turned all my lights off except for a tiny TV that I have set up for my parrot, and this computer . . . I find I can type okay in the dark.

It does my heart good to look down and see some of the Peninsula (San Carlos to Palo Alto) and across the Bay to Union City, Fremont, Newark, etc, They are majorly in the dark!

. . . It feels soooo good to see that others here locally are honoring this effort. It is exactly 8:59 right now. I'm going out on my deck for about 10 minutes to see what goes ON. Back to you at about 9:15. . .

It was exciting to sit out on my deck and watch as most of the lights came back on. It appears that most of the effort was exerted by single family residences rather than the industrial or hi-rise areas. How sad. God Bless Us (the little guy)

And how disappointing that Larry Ellison's Oracle appeared to not partake in this project. I noticed that his and other of the industrial and hi-rise areas did not seem to participate. Lights a-blazing throughout.

I live in an isolated area in the country & can't see more than 6 lights directly, so have no idea...

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2008]
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Victoria, I have no idea either but it sounds as if many areas participated. I would like to know how much energy that saved, wouldn't you?

It's gotta be somewhere. Ah. Google!

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Here's what I found. You can Google Earth Hour Results for your own view.

Energy use dimmed during Earth Hour

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:25am AEDT
    Updated Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:40pm AEDT

* Video: Earth Hour celebrated around the world (ABC News)
    * Related Story: Canberra icons in the dark for Earth Hour
    * Related Story: Tasmanians praised for Earth Hour effort
    * Related Story: Govt to 'lead by example' during Earth Hour
    * Related Story: WA authorities warn of Earth Hour candle danger
    * Related Story: Lights out: Earth Hour goes global

Energy authorities say the impact of last night's Earth Hour event was the equivalent of two large power stations being temporarily shut down.

National landmarks like the Sydney Opera House and Melbourne's Federation Square were dimmed, as lights were switched-off across the country to help combat global warming.

Paul Bird from the National Electricity Market Management Company says it prompted a sizeable drop in demand for power.

"We're still finalising the data, but we do believe that there was at least 1,000 megawatts reduction across the national grid, which is a significant reduction across the states, south-eastern and eastern states of Australia," he said.

Earth Hour encouraged people to turn-off lights and electrical appliances for an hour, to help combat climate warming.

Mr Bird says demand dropped during the hour, but then rose again.

"There was a significant energy reduction, not only in the capital cities, we also detected it across regional centres as well,' he said.

Tags: electricity-energy-and-utilities, climate-change, australia, nsw, sydney-2000, vic, melbourne-3000