Don't give up on Pain Mgmt Nightmares

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I went to another PM MD. I was crying when he came in because I had walked from the parking lot and was in severe pain.

He was confrontational from the get go. He marched in and said "you're crying, I'm not going to refill your pain meds because you are unstable."

Which of course, made me cry more. Which of course, he seized upon to say "you haven't stopped crying sense I came in here. You need mental help."

I called my husband in to tell him that I am not mentally unstable. My husband could not get a word out of his mouth before the MD said "I've made up my mind and I'm not going to treat her."

He also asked me if I want to kill myself. I said "of course not, I have a husband, children, a beautiful grandchild that I can't visit because I don't have any d__ pain meds."

I didn't give up and went to a different one the same day and he RX'd and gave me hope for treatment. His nurse said "G__ will take care of that doctor. Don't worry about him".

What a miracle!

Don't give up.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm so sorry you had to go through that and I'm Glad you found a doctor that would help you.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  3. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I now have two MD's that have treated me this way. I'll report both of them so others won't be treated this way.
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I do believe, and this may make you and others upset, but I do believe that if you are going to cry at the doctor's office while trying to get narcotics - it isn't going to bode well for you.

Especially if it is an older male doctor. Sorry but that is just the way it is.

I understand because I am there with you but you also need to understand the reality and if you want help, then you need to work within the bounds of reality.

I know this will upset you but I have to say it. To keep you and others from making the same choice and possibly deferring any help.

You were lucky in that you got in somewhere and that they helped you. Were you crying in the second doctor's office?

We have to understand that they will willingly give narcotics to somone who is questionable in any way - crying SHOULDN'T fall in there but it does.

5. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

He was a young guy.

Their office was sent a 70 page report from a renowned rheumatologist indicating how chronic and bad my pain was, how good of a character I have, my whole work history being the exec ast to top execs at one of largest corps in the world for twenty years, with a secret and top secret clearance.

I wasn't crying hard, I had tears in my eyes FROM PAIN!!! He could have gently said no. He did not have to treat me like a criminal after reading that report.

It's obvious with my background, that I'm not questionable in character.
  6. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

My abusive ex used to order me to stop crying. If it's real tears they can not be turned off like a faucet.......

If they teach interns for PM to abuse people in pain, then we should all move to Canada.

In addition, yes, I was crying at second PM MD. They were kind and compassionate. That's the HOPE part I was talking about.

[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2008]