Don't Ignore Dry Eyes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have an eye doc who is always on the cutting edge and he has the latest equipment. He just got a gadget which allows him to measure eye dryness. He also uses drops which show him what kind of dryness is taking place.

My tear ducts are wide open but the oil glands in my eyelids are not secreting the oil which prompts the eyes to make tears. This impairs feedback to the brain which would prompt it to make the tears. If left untreated, it can eventually cause real problems. Mine is mild to moderate so I'm thankful it was found early on.

Before we consider eyedrops, I am trying 2000 mgs. of pharmaceutical-grade fish oil pills. Twice a day, I have to put moist heat packs on my eyes and then, massage the eyelids. I moisten a wash cloth and heat it in the microwave. I have a sock filled with rice and I heat that too. I put the sock on top of the wash cloth for 3-5 mins. on my eyelids. It's very soothing. Then, I massage the lids and put the heat back on for just a bit. I'm noticing a difference in how moist my eyes feel.

I feel truly blessed to have this doc who is so up to date and consciencious.

Love, Mikie
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for the info. I too have dry eyes and using otc eye drops. Also my vision is blurry so have an appt. with the eye doc next week.

Went for my ck up yesterday with a new doc and she wants me to have a mri to rule out ms..after all these years. Well in my panic state I don't think I can have it. I would have to mention my off balance and blurry vision.

Hope all is well . What are you doing these days? Miss you.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

Mikie thank you for info.
    My eyes are so dry they feel like there are razor blades in them!! I will definetly try what you posted.

glad your doc is up to date. last one I went to used the strip to test and ended up cutting my eyeball!

4. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Thanks for the info... I'll ask about that, the next time I see my ophthalmologist.

I, too, have problems with dry eyes.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

GreatGran, I am praying it isn't MS. Go for the test when you are ready to. Montel was on Oprah today and he is in a new program with great promise. I don't know whether you remember how much pain he was in but he says it's 80 percent improved. I'm so glad for him. These illnesses have sooooo much overlap that it's likely not MS. I am here more because I had to retire and have been in a loooong flare. It started with having to take blood pressure meds. High BP, and heart attacks, run in my family. I tried one BP med after another and couldn't tolerate the side effects. The one I'm on now decreases norepinephrine in the brain and my sleep quality was destroyed. Well, my doc added another med with no side effects and we drastically reduced the other one. I'm sleeping better but it's slow going to claw my way back. I've been having recurrances of bacterial and viral infections and am suffering from sinus problems right now. I am low on energy but, otherwise, am OK. Things will get better. I'm going to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and am looking forward to that. Take care of yourself.

3gs, Yikes! Cut your eye! That's terrible. The new instrument is hand held with a small tip that they touch the side of the eye with. It's called something like an "ozmometer," but that's probably not quite it. It's new. The eye drops stain the particles which are the result of tear production. I'm not sure exactly which test tells the doc that it's an oil gland problem. All I know is that I'm starting to feel much more comfortable. I hadn't realized just how dry my eyes had gotten. Perhaps now that I'm retired and not wearing my contacts as much, it isn't as apparent to me. I got new glasses and looooove them. I've never liked glasses because of the weight on my nose but these new ones are featherweights. Also, I don't look very good in most frames but I like these. How vain is that? An old lady worrying about how her glasses look.

Tizz, I hope your doc has the instrument and drops. It's funny here because eye docs will start advertising their "new" capabilities which my doc has been using for years. This dry eye test is brand new, though. Until now, they really didn't know exactly what the cause of the dry eyes was unless they could see a blocked tear duct. The doc said in the old days, people usually died before eye problems got too bad. With all of us living longer, we are having to deal with things our ancestors didn't. Fortunately, there are more and more treatments for what ails our eyes. I'm lucky because my cataracts are so small that I will likely not have to have them removed. We do have some retinal diseases in our family, though, so I'm taking a vitamin with leutein and protecting my eyes from UV when I go out.

Good luck to you all.

Love, Mikie
  6. brains

brains Member

It is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory disease in which moisture-producing glands are damaged ,significantly decreasing the quantity AND QUALITY OF SALVIA AND TEARS.ALTHOUGH THE HALLMARK SYMPTOMS ARE DRY EYES AND DRY MOUTH,SJOREN'S ALSO MAY CAUSE DYSFUNCTION OF OTHER ORGANS, AFFECTING THE KIDNEYS,GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM,BLOOD VESSELS,LUNGS,LIVER,PANCREAS AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM.Patients may experience extreme fatigue and joint pain and have a higher risk of lymphoma.Sjoren's is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders,stiking as many as 4,000,000 americans.Nine out of ten patients are women.About half of the time Sjoren's syndrome occurs alone,and the other half it occurs in the presence of another connective tissue disease such as rheumatoid arthritis,lupus,or scleroderma.Symtons v ary from person to person but may include a dry gritty, or burning sensation in the eyes,dry mouth,difficulty talking,chewing,or swallowing.a sore or cracked tongue,dry or burning throat,dry peeling lips a change in taste or smell,increased dental decay,joint pain,vaginal and skin dryness,digestive problems,dry nose,and fatigue.Many persons with fibro and CFS also have this...research this ....Hope this Helps...they do a Lip biospy to confirm if u have it
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2010]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is extremely interesting info. Some of the other symptoms apply to me too. I will talk to my doc about it and, in the meantime, will do some research. Another very good reason not to ignore this.

I really appreciate your generous sharing of info. Thank you.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For giving Sjogren's its own post. I'll bet there are people here with it who haven't been able to connect the dots presented by the diverse symptoms of this illness. I've already made changes in my diet and it's helping.

Again, thank you for your help. I came to this board ten years ago with FMS and CFIDS. I knew nothing but, with the generous help of our members, I was able to research and find treatments which helped me. I do not believe I would ever have healed had I not come here and found this wonderful community. Once again, I have found help just when I needed it. I can't thank you enough.

Love, Mikie